Hook sharpeners

My boat is in need of one of these bad! What is everyone using? I like the powered Berkley one for just the ease of it, but does it really work good? I have seen Mr. Rebel at tourneys with an old style file. I know that works, but is there anything out there I am missing?

http://smithsedge.com/products/product.asp?id=61&cid=

Smith's is what I have been using and it is great as long as the carbide v notch is in good shape. They do wear a little over time. It is quick and easy and most of all CHEAP... OR inexpensive if you prefer. A few licks on this thing and a quick strop of the blade on the pant leg and it is razor. I like this and it is the first sharpener that I have had that really is foolproof...no fiquring angles and such...you can "feel" the sharpener do the job on the blade. Sold almost everywhere..got mine at bass pro and cabela's think I have at least 4 of them in different places where I need a sharp knife.

Mark

OOPS my bad :$ I had Knife sharpener on my head.....well now you can get a cheap knife sharpener

Go to Lowes and buy a Diamond 2 sided hone. It's 2 sided. coarse & fine w/ a hook slot on both sides . I think it's made by Smiths. Folds into the handle & works great on hooks knifes etc. Once you use diamond , you won't use stone again . A file works great but it needs to be fine & sharp or you can roll the point over & once you do that you might as well throw the hook out. Best 15 bucks Ive spent.

I use a small flat file with no grooves. I like the squared off points which I feel give a better penetration. (at least in my fingers, they do) If you look at canvas sewing needles, they're generally squared off on the sides of the point.

Tom B.

(LongLine)