sub troll cable issues!

I ran into this last year and I thought I had the problem solved but, IT'S BACK! I've been fishing Ontario lately (fished the FLX spring/early summer) and now that I'm consistently running my probe rigger below 70' I'm seeing 'skinned' off coating and now I can't get readings below 90' due to lost signal ( bare wire). I've used electrical tape b4 to deal w/ minor scoring down by the probe but these are sections 2-3" long. This problem either occurs starting at this point in the season- or only when my probe rigger is used a lot below 70' down. Has any body successfully 'doctored' up their cable with this kind of extensive skinning on it? What did you use and how long did the 'fix' last?

Long term it seems like an X4 is the solution (budget constraints make this option unfeasible at the present time) -Andy

A few inches of skinned cable shouldn't cause such a problem. Try looking at a grounding problem or a ineffective terminal connection. Also if u added a new electronic device that also could be the culprit. Particularly an AP.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Have you tried that "liquid " electrical insulation? Bigger question is what's causing it. How's your cable wind on the rigg'r spool? Pully's free wheeling all the time?

Tom B.

(LongLine)

We have some bar spots in our sub-troll cable around 90', you just have to make sure a bare spot is not were the antenna reads. We have no problems and have about 4" of bare wire. If we stop it in the antenna it does not work, if we just run it out/down past the antenna or deeper(we run it up to 125') no problems with speed or temp

Check connections and interference possibility as suggested above

i usually dont cut my cable back till at least 10-12" is missing and ive never had a problem with signal. my rpobe is also detachable so there is also bare swivels along with bare wire. I would say the problem is not with your cable. Call Moor and see what they say.

Thanks Rob, Hank and I were talking about it today and he said the same thing. I've actually got a Depth Raider w/ Moor brand cable, but the same thing happened last year w/ DR cable on an older Cannon rigger. Hank said he has heard that some guys put a damp cloth over the antennae when they are having problems picking up the signal.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to post a similar question to this one. My Sub-Troll has been acting up this season a lot. Works fine, then the display goes haywire, shows an unrealistic temperature, speed needle goes to "0", temp jumps all over the place...then it returns to acting normally. Has anyone had any problems with the actual connection on the backl of the display unit where the RCA cable plugs in? Seems that sometimes when I wiggle or move the cable, the display sometimes starts working fine. I also have some bare spots on my cable and was thinking that may be the culprit, but apparently it may be something else. This weird activity happens at any depth. Any other thoughts?

Tag, how old is the battery in your probe? That sounds like a weak probe battery to me, try replacing it with a new one as see if that clears it up.

Tim

I was thinking that, as well. It was replaced at the end of last year before I put everything away for the winter. But, it's been getting used A LOT more this year, so maybe it is on its way out. I'll give a new battery a try and hopefully that fixes it. Thanks for the tip, Tim!

The damp cloth works, we use it all the time on the sub troll to improve the signal.

As far as a lasting repair, I have only found one that works permanently. You can mix up some fiberglass resin and coat the bare cable with an foam brush. Once dry, spool the cable back on and you'll be good as new :yes:

• 4 weeks later...

I had this same problem and it would come and go. I moved the cable that went to the unit and it started to work again. Then the next time I went out and it started acting up. The speed would read the temp was all over the place. Last weekend when I was getting the boat ready I took the time to unplug the cable from the back of the display inspected it and did not see any problems. Got to the lake and it was rock steady all day. I too have bare spots up to 6" long and was reading down to 110 feet. It must have had a poor connection. Hope this will work for you. They are a great unit and was I lost without it.

Just had mine at Moore for similiar problem. The culprit was in the wiring to the battery clip. Seems one lead inside the probe (of two connecting the battery to circuit board) was loose; good readings-wacky-no readings-etc. Had entire unit checked out at Moore and each component of unit checked OK on bench. Reinstalled and went fishing. Dropped to 45 ft for reading-A OK. Dropped further to 90 and lost all readings! Removed from boat and went back to Moore. This time while checking probe (which wasn't working) one battery clip lead was disconnected and fished out of probe depths.. A new clip was wired to circuit board and unit has worked flawlessly since. Going back out today for third use and have not had a problem.