On the water at 6 am and off at 3 pm. Ran east of I-Bay about 7 miles set up in 250 FOW than trolled north to 400+. Major hooks down 70 to 100+ feet. Landed about 8 of the 30+ hits ?, Kings and steelhead. Problem was keeping them hooked. I have no idea why but they were just not hooking up today? anyone have a theory on this type of day or has anyone else experienced this ?

Mark

Mark,

I'm sure everyone has their own theories on this, but I'm not sure about a "light biting" theory. In my opinion, salmon are eating machines and they are going to hammer a bait when hungry.

What I can tell you, is our hooks have all taken a beating by this time of year ( whacking on the net, the boat, hard fish mouths, pliers, etc.). Try sharpening your hooks razor sharp.

Good luck,

- Chris

Set your line deeper and with a loop on it in the realease , make it harder for them . Sometimes just bad luck . I use large scottys at tightest setting and loop line buried deep

DALE BANKO ???LoL

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Mark,

as you saw we where next to you yesterday and where complaining about the same problem. We had over 40 fish on yesterday and only boated 14. You have been out with me a number of times so this is first part is for everyone else.

A) when i do a count of number of fish on it is true fish on, im talking rod bent client on rod and feeling the fish> I do not count a hit as the rod poped off the release because i was turning at 12 mph.

B) every hook on the boat is needle sharp, they get sharpened every morning at start, after every fish and every lure change ....they are like needles.

C) I run my release very tight this time of year because the kings getting a kype and harder jaw. plus when a rod goes off i want the hooks buried.

so that was all taken out of my problem of a 25% land ratio yesterday. We did the same thing as you, tried differnet set backs, same color lures just different size, etc. i think it was just mother nature and one of those things that we will never know for sure,

Hey A-TOM-MIK Pro Denny - i have an 11" flasher in my cabin with teeth marks carved in it. i show everyone, funny you mentioned that.

look at the possitive side of it bro. the derby wasn't on, we did unreal numbers of fish on for this time of year and i didnt have to net/fillet a mother load. :D

A tom mik pro denny-

not trying to steal marks thread here but IDK why. territorial, aggresive, really hunger and want a big meal or maybe they are like me somedays you just wanna kill something LOL.

last thought.....ever see how a pike or musky grabs a bait? SIDEWAYS first then turns it to swallow.??????? Also i had a strike vision camera on my boat for a short time a watched a king follow a dodger/fly set up for 5 minutes, then it disappeared of camera, a few seconds later it came into view from the side and whacked the dodger/fly with its tail. wild stuff

Angle of attack.maybe?..from behind vs from the side...mostly attitude of the fish if really trying to feed or just injure and play with it then eat and in the process get hooked lightly while playing. Seems reasonable since it is a common experience between different fishermen who know what they are doing....I would say It's gotta be the fishes attitude...hmmm :wondering:

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

This is wierd becasuse Wendsday evening i did 15 for 19. But the best part is i brought two different kings in that had 2 differnt spoons barried in its mouth.....????Very agressive...

Matt

-Jakey Baby-

Try these links

As you can see there are a few types for different applications.

http://www.fishusa.com/Blacks-Downrigge ... lip_p.html

http://www.fish307.com/blacksdownrigger ... rc-95.aspx

http://www.fish307.com/blacksreleasecliprc-99.aspx

The links are for your viewing, for pictures and info. PLEASE buy from local tackle shops and not on line if you can. They are better deals and need our support !!

Thank you!!!

Mark

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Had a day back a decade ago where we landed three kings in one day with the hooks buried somewhere under the chin or belly. My thought was these fish were rocketing up through the downrigger spread of spoons from below trying to stun the bait? I have seen other species esp. in the ocean perform the move. I also think there is something to the hardening kype mouth not holding hooks, plus fish have seen baits all year and are more likely to nip than rip.