Don't laugh !

I'm in the process of setting up my 12' trolling yacht.    

I plan on fishing Hemlock/Canadice with this boat.  One of the big questions is how to power it. I have two outboards, a 6hp yamaha and a 2 hp evinrude and oars :P  

Biggest concern is speed control.  I plan on using a Luhr Jenson speed indicator to measure speed.

The 6hp is fine for getting from one place to the next at a fairly brisk speed (12mph?)  if needed but has issues in terms of slow speed control due to the twist grip throttle.   It is also heavier than the 2HP.   The advanage is that it has a remote tank.

I haven't tried the 2hp on this boat but based on experience with this motor it will probably be a lot more controllable at low speed and will move the boat adequetly albeit a bit slow.  The down side is that it doesn't have a remote tank and the thought of trying to fill the tank in the middle of the lake isn't actually very appealing.

I am leaning toward the 2hp.   I am thinking about methods of on the lake fueling including using a remote tank and hand pumping the gas into the motor tank as needed or possibly finding a container that is easy to handle and can be dumped into the tank fast and easy.

Thoughts/suggestions?

You guys should be able to have a lot of fun with this one :rofl:

Jack

Are you sure you'd run out of fuel on the 2hp in a day of fishing? I had a 7.5 yrs ago with a built in tank and I never ran out in a day. That being said I'd opt for the 6hp. Probably a quiter motor and most motors have a screw you can tighten to get the throttle to stay where it is twisted to (I'm assuming the 2hp is a one cylinder motor- which are generally louder than two cylinder motors).

Spike

If it were me I'd be going with the 6 hp if it is reliable....you didn't mention exactly what the low speed problem was....e.g. does it actually cut out? Think about being at the opposite end of the lake from where you launched when the storm ( with lightning) hits....it isn't much of a "toss up" decision wise is it? Either way you decide to go with it... Good Luck out there!

Edited by Sk8man

The 2hp runs out of gas in about 1-1.5 hrs at traveling speed on a heavier boat.   I duno about at trolling speed,  probably a lot longer.   It is a fairly smooth motor (1981 vntage) which may be due to the small cylinder.   It has an advance lever which can be adjusted and stays put.   It would be easy to rig a tiller extension since I want to be on the middle thwart.

The 6hp is smooth/strong/reliable but.....   I don't want to have to try to hold a speed using the tiller/trottle.   To use this motor I need to have a good way to set/adjust the speed.   I'm not sure how slow this one is capable of moving the boat.   I want to get down to 1mph.  I don't want to fiddle with tools to adjust the speed but being a "thing maker" might be able to make something.

Safety?   Storms? Lightning?   Lightnings are racing sailboats :rofl:    I've spent a fair amount of time on the water in canoes and sailboats and though thunder storms aren't my druthers I don't worry about them too much either.

Use whichever outboard handles better for you.  The northern launch at Hemlock and the Canadice launch I believe are all in deep water.  You can just start crossing the lakes and you can start trolling.

That said you may want the smaller motor because it takes up less room (no external tank).

Sounds like I need to try the 6 hp while dragging a bucket and see if there is a way to set up the throttle so it stays put at the desired speed.   Will also try the 2hp and see how long it runs on a given amount of gas. or ......   maybe just row the boat :rofl:

I'd say try them both.  I had a similar situation.  I liked the 5HP over the 2.5hp, but if the 2hp works for you, it will be a lot easier with regards to working it to and from the lake.  If you have oars, don't worry about running out of gas.  People pay a monthly fee for that kind of workout.  You will get to do it (free) out of necessity.  Good luck...

Have you tried fishing with the 6?  My boat isn't much bigger and with a 15 hp it goes plenty slow enough at idle, slower than I troll.  I don't know about 1 mph but it definitely goes 1.4-5 probably slower.   As for the throttle it should be an easy adjustment but you may need a part.  I had to fix mine a few years back and it only took a few minutes but I did replace a part.  If it is working properly it'll stay where you put it (mine is a twist throttle as well).  If you want to sit in the middle there are tiller extensions you can buy.  They clamp on and you can still adjust the throttle.  Or make one if you prefer.  What I'm getting at is don't let the throttle thing dissuade you, you can fix or work around whatever issue you're having.

Also something to think about, try to have your rod holders near the rear.  The closer they are to the front the easier it is for a dipsy (or something else with resistance) to pull you off course.  Further back will lessen this effect.

Edited by hermit

If you put a downrigger on this you will find th 2hp may not have enough power to move the boat.  The drag of the cable would almost stop my 14' with a 4hp .

Interesting, maybe this will be simpler than I thought.

As for the throttle it should be an easy adjustment but you may need a part.  I had to fix mine a few years back and it only took a few minutes but I did replace a part.  If it is working properly it'll stay where you put it (mine is a twist throttle as well).  If you want to sit in the middle there are tiller extensions you can buy.  They clamp on and you can still adjust the throttle.  Or make one if you prefer.  What I'm getting at is don't let the throttle thing dissuade you, you can fix or work around whatever issue you're having.

Hermit,

Took some time to dig out the Yamaha.  It was buried in my Dad's stuff which is another story.   Anywho,  I looked at the tiller and found the friction adjustment.   It appears to be frozen but at least fixing it would be a great solution.   Finding the yamaha part might be an interesting search but then maybe I can machine one .    Then Lets hope that I can get the yamaha to idlele down.

Thanks,  great to have all of you guys to bounce stuff like this issue on.   More heads helps!

Jack

One thing I see nobody suggested (surprised) is using an electric trolling motor. Too bad I just sold one or it would have been perfect for your boat. A 45-55lb thrust stern mount motor on a 12' boat, especially if you're fishing alone, would probably go for 4-5 hours on a single battery. Also, there is little in this world that I would find more blissful than an early morning fishing on Hemlock or Canadice without disturbing your surroundings, with nothing but a quiet whine of an electric motor. There are tons of them being sold on Craigslist so you can get one cheaply I bet. Plus, it's extra insurance if anything happens to your main motor. 

But, in my humble opinion, I'd take the 6hp over 2hp any day. That one day when there were whitecaps on Canadice I was sure glad I had a 10hp. And, once you find that "sweet spot where all the fish are hiding" you'll be cursing yourself if you have to spend 15 minutes just getting there on a 2hp :)

The six horse probably has an idle adjustment screw. instead of using your tiller you can just adjust it to a higher idle and troll that way

Edited by rolmops

The six horse probably has an idle adjustment screw. instead of using your tiller you can just adjust it to a higher idle and troll that way

:yes:  :yes:  :yes:  That was exactly what I was thinking.