Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kevin J Legg

Best fillet knife

Rick. Look into investing in a Work Sharp knife sharpener. Puts a pro edge on a knife in no time flat and easy to use. Pick your friends more wisely. LOL.

Rick. Look into investing in a Work Sharp knife sharpener. Puts a pro edge on a knife in no time flat and easy to use. Pick your friends more wisely. LOL.

When it comes down to it the best fillet knife is one that is sharp and stays that way. Most require occasional sharpening or "tuning up" if you are using them regularly.....there is no "miracle knife"... just some that are better made than others and hold an edge longer when sharpened properly.

Victorinox and Dexter Russell are both excellent and they both hold an edge real well

Edited by Sk8man

That was a good read. Lot of preference. Couldn't start a new thread, what are your favorite hook files and techniques? Mine is underwater and want to replace it. Dicks had none, *ass pro had china or stones. Mine looked like 2 chainsaw files in a plastic holder I kept in the boat for touch ups. I have an old flat file I use during tv commercials on the end table at home. What will last? I'll put a wrist band on it.

I got a dexter 10" steak from gander mountain last year for like $18.  F***ing damn is that thing sharp!

I also have a 10" dexter.... Great knife!! Sharp and flexible. Japanese steel!! Really holds an edge. I sharpen each time I use..... It is SHARP. would recommend to anyone and cant beat the price. IMO, the best value electric fillet knife Is the American Angler..... Gears, transmission, and driveline are all metal so it is built to last. Also, blades are made by Ginsu. A couple models come with 3-5 blades to choose from depending on the size of your catch. Its a very sturdy and effective knife. Much, Much better than the 2 twisters and hamilton beach I have burned out.

Edited by EsoxAC3

I have tons of knives and I use my bubba blades for everything! Any knife can be sharpened till you can shave with it. Most good knife manufacturers make several sizes and different flexes to suit your needs, but there is no better handle on the market for big hands and no handle that is easier to get a grip on when your hand is slippery.

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I"ve had the cutco for about 20yrs.    Send it back every winter for a free factory sharpening.   Keeps a great edge all season.   No complaints here.  it's been a good one.  

• Like 1

Just got my Cutco and used it for the first time on a batch of crappies. Never used a knife that sharp before. I almost bled out from nicking my finger with it.

• Like 2

I have a Randall fillet knife I have had for 30 years plus. Holds an edge better than any knife I have owned. Cuts right through the ribs no problem.