Canandaigua This Evening 8-5-13

Well I wanted to fish Seneca but nobody was available to go along so I opted to fish Canandaigua.  Things have been tough on Canandaigua this season for most folks including me. I ended up 5 for 5 (3 bows and 2 laker mistakes). I started at about 4:30 PM from the north end and dropped my lines starting at German Bros. in 79 ft....nothing until just north of Notre Dame Retreat then  small laker downrigger 50 down over 182 ...kept trolling west side toward south small rainbow couple pounds just north of Menteth 40 ft over 240 ft downrigger small black Evil eye. When I just passed Danny's place I turned toward the east and then the wire rig with wonderbread/white fly and Deep diver set at 150 bends over good and when I started to reel him in the downrigger pops taking line.....wire rig taking line too and drag figured I'd take my chances and let the downrigger stay put with the 30 lb flea line so let him just go with it. Reeled in the wire and had 5-6 lb laker on it evidently running too deep. Let him off in the water took off like a jet. Fish still on the downrigger....reeled him in and 4 lb bow on the small black evil eye again...released and was questionable but it looked like he made it OK. Another rainbow south of the Christian Camp in 198 ft. marked him on the finder before he hit the downrigger set at 50 with the Evil eye again. The Evil eye was on the main line this time right at 50 the others had come off the slider. normally the results would not have been noteworthy (i.e. a few relatively small fish) but at least there was something out there this time and I marked quite a few fish all at that 40-50ft range out deep 190-250ft. I marked some good sized lakers too sitting on bottom in 230 ft. Here's what the screen looked like just about the time the one rainbow hit: I quitat 8:30PM.

I know guys have been getting pretty disgusted so I wanted to let you know there is a little activity out there at least.

post-145411-0-58918800-1375754929_thumb.jpg

Les,

Glad to hear you had some activity this time out on Canandaigua!  If you ever need someone to tag along to Seneca i would be more than happy to join you, just give me a call sometime (i may or may not be available, but if i am i'll be there :rofl: ) 

I forgot to mention - NO FLEAS and very LITTLE GRASS. I even used  braid on a rig and used 12 lb test fluoro for the sliders on the riggers....may have just been the areas I was in but I trolled through quite a bit of water....

Way to go Les, just had to earn em...nothing wrong with that...Im always game for a second try at seneca during the week...I had a great time talking fishing with you and also must say that is fine setup you have. I just love that boat...needs boards and some walleye setups tho...lol! Let me know when you are ready to drive east for some big eyes...im defintely on them!!

Justin

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Can anyone advise the condition of the Woodville launch at Canandaigua' south end. ? I cannot find any report of the job having been completed. Thanks whomever. Dave

Last time I went there ,..Aug 2nd.....it was still the temp dock,..( guess no dock makers in the Finger Lakes ) :) ....

Good water for a big boat,...one Lane only,..so pick your time wisely,..and Day..! The rail along the launch makes it tough to launch solo,...I normally bring waders and do not need a launch per say,..but I am pushing out a 9.9 and 14' alumn...

Good Luck and Tight Lines

Yeah what's the hold up on the docks? I thought they would have them in  in the Spring.....unreal... because that ramp gets quite a bit of use from large boats too so it's a struggle with that railing.