New Diawa Copper Reels

Here are the new Diawa levelwinds geared towards Great Lakes copper fishing in size 50 and 60. They rolled out two reels, one higher end and one a tad more affordable. Both High Speed 6:1 reels. Looking forward to them, I'll be selling my 800 Tekota and replacing with the 60 Seagate, less expensive and hi-speed. Yankee tipped me off so I checked Diawa's site yesterday and saw them figured I would let you guys know. 

Seagate- http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=693 
http://www.tackledirect.com/daiwa-sgtlw60h-seagate-levelwind-reel.html 
149.99 - Same capacity as 800 Tekota. 

Sealine- http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=694

http://www.tackledirect.com/daiwa-slw50h-sealine-levelwind-reel.html 

The high speed is a nice improvement, pits it squarely against the Clarion 553 but with greater capacity. Nice job overall, and at an atractive price if it functions well. Maybe Daiwa will come out with a larger size or a wide frame version with higher capacity for the really deep coppers. Would be nice to have a competitive high speed option to the Solterra 50L and Penn Senators.

Edited by John E Powell

The 60 size has the same capacity as the Tekota 800. This means you can get 400' of 45lb Copper and 300yds of 50lb backing, or 500' of 45lb Copper and 150yds of 50lb backing. No need to replace drags out of the box since they are already tourney drags. I haven't had my hands on one yet, but I plan on grabbing them in the off-season so everything on the ride matches.

• 1 month later...

I've had 2 of the new Seagate 60's on pre-order for quite some time now with TackleDirect.com.  Daiwa's initial release date was September (per their website).  I was then informed by TackleDirect.com that it would be late October.  Today I was notified that it's now mid-December.  Daiwa must have gotten a huge pre-order they're looking to satisfy right up front, or they're having problems with this reel right off the get-go and are delaying it's release.  Anyone else have any information as to what's going on with this new Reel Series?  Thanks!

Edited by FleetTracker

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The 60 size has the same capacity as the Tekota 800. This means you can get 400' of 45lb Copper and 300yds of 50lb backing, or 500' of 45lb Copper and 150yds of 50lb backing. No need to replace drags out of the box since they are already tourney drags. I haven't had my hands on one yet, but I plan on grabbing them in the off-season so everything on the ride matches.

".....so everything on the ride matches"?? Do they come with blue LED lights too? :))

• 3 weeks later...

Was thinking about picking up a set of 4 Saltist reels to replace a set of Cold Waters and Convectors for 12 color and 8 color.  Getting a set of 4 of the Seagates looks like a better deal and still have the 6:1.  Any thoughts on these vs the Saltist level wind?  What sizes would I need for 12 and 8 color?

Was thinking about picking up a set of 4 Saltist reels to replace a set of Cold Waters and Convectors for 12 color and 8 color. Getting a set of 4 of the Seagates looks like a better deal and still have the 6:1. Any thoughts on these vs the Saltist level wind? What sizes would I need for 12 and 8 color?

I have run saltist reels for the past 4 seasons and they are the best performing reel on the market for the money. A saltist 40 should fit a 8 color and a 12 will be tight but will fit on a 50. I just put together a 10 on a 50. The high speed retrieval, super smooth drag and the fine tuning adjustment of the drag is amazing. The only downfall of the saltist is the line counter. For the core, they are not needed so it will not be an issue for you.

Edited by GAMBLER

I actually run 18lb Suffice Advance.  Reeled in multiple 25lb kings on it last year without issue.  I was thinking on going with pair of 12 and a 8 color this year.  Last year I ran a 10 and a 5 (the 5 was pretty much useless for Lake Michigan). The 12 color will get deeper and the 8 will still be in the normal strikezone.  If I need to go deeper, then I'll put dive bombs on the 8 color and make that my inside board.  Any thoughts on this setup?

I should have mine in hand tomorrow. I'll let you know. They made this reel series specifically for the Great Lakes salmon fishing market to target lead core and copper rigs. Sure would be a major fail if a SPRO doesn't got through the line guide!!!

Edited by FleetTracker

I was on the Blood Run tackle site and they have a chart that shows how much copper & backer will fit on a few different reels. All of their information shows reels that are fairly large to fit 400' plus of copper with a good amount of backer. I would want to buy the new Seagate but from the blood chart I don't think it will hold enough copper. I sent a email to Diawa to see if they have a copper capacity chart for the level winds. 

I was on the Blood Run tackle site and they have a chart that shows how much copper & backer will fit on a few different reels. All of their information shows reels that are fairly large to fit 400' plus of copper with a good amount of backer. I would want to buy the new Seagate but from the blood chart I don't think it will hold enough copper. I sent a email to Diawa to see if they have a copper capacity chart for the level winds.

Hi Scobar - blood run posts their capacities using their own 30lb backer material - 0.019 diameter (a little over 20lb mono equivalent). Not 50# power pro like most use - 0.014 diameter (12lb mono equivalent). Their larger diameter backer is the reason why their capacities are a bit lower then you would expect to see. 500' of 45lb copper should fit on the new Seagate 60's with 150yds of 50# power pro.

I'll be spooling my new Seagate 60 up with 500' of Blood Run 45lb copper and 150yds of hi-vis yellow 50# power pro when I get it. Shipping info now shows delivery this Thursday. Should be done this weekend. I'll let you know how I make out.

Capt Rich & Fleettracker thanks for the info,

I like Diawa equipment so 2 new Seagates to be ordered. I have  2 older Sealine 47 that I was thinking to spool with Blood run 32# copper. I was thinking 150' and 200'. Any thoughts on 32# and if you think I can get that on the Sealines, I'm not sure of the mono capacity for them

Capt Rich & Fleettracker thanks for the info,

I like Diawa equipment so 2 new Seagates to be ordered. I have 2 older Sealine 47 that I was thinking to spool with Blood run 32# copper. I was thinking 150' and 200'. Any thoughts on 32# and if you think I can get that on the Sealines, I'm not sure of the mono capacity for them

You'll have to check the mono capacities to similarly used copper reels to see for sure, but I would imagine a 150' should fit. The one thing you have to check is if a SPRO swivel can fit through the line guide on those reels.