DEC proposes regs to prevent the introduction of invasive species

Bigfoot

Received this today.

Public comments accepted through February 24

The New York Department of environmental Conservation is proposing new regulations to prevent the introduction and spread of aquatic invasive species (AIS) at DEC boat launches, DEC Commissioner Joe Martens announced. The proposed regulatory changes require boaters to remove all visible plants and animals from boats, trailers and associated equipment and to drain boats before launching at or leaving a DEC boat launch and waterway access.

DEC will accept comments on the proposal through Feb 24, 2014. The full text of the proposed regulation can be found on DEC's website at www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/propregulations.html.

Comments on the proposed regulations can be sent via email to [email protected] , or emailed to Edward Woltmann. NYSDEC Bureau of Fisheries, 625 Broadway, Albany, NY 12233-4753. Hard copies of the full text may also be requested from Mr. Woltmann at the above address.

Anyone who trailers a boat and knows what he is doing, probably does that already. Frankly,I always thought that this was a regulation since forever.

The only problem is that there are always ignorant or lazy people and of course those with issues about being told what to do, who will happily keep on spreading invasive species.

Edited by rolmops

More a question of time and physical ability. It's not that easy for some people to climb under their rigs to manually remove weeds.

There was a young man at the Keuka Lake State Park launch last Summer tasked with removing all

vegetation from boats and trailers (he was also asking survey data). It took both of us 20 minutes to clean my rig.

On another occasion my wife and I worked for over 45 minutes removing hundreds of pounds of weeds

(Owasco Lake) and gave up before having it really clean. Occasionally winds just pack launch sites full of vegetation.

As I get older it's just not going to be feasible to fish during the Summer months and be in

compliance.

I thought this was already in the regs.  The recreational boaters aren't the ones that they should worry about it's the tankers that empty their ballast tanks into the lake and the city idiots that just dump whatever fish they had as pets into the water/storm sewers.

Just a thought here but if I pay for a launch fee and the launch has a massive amount  of loose floating weeds at the launch I think it would make since that the entity in charge of the launch would remove those weeds in the launch area that will certainally get stuck to the carriage of the trailers.  Doesn't this make since?  If it doesn't then I will bring a stone rake.  It is much easier to clean the water my trailer is going into than cleaning the trailer once the boat is on it.

As for the livewell, I do this at home.  It will not change.  My boat is completely dry before my next trip.  I am always thinking about it as we all should be.  It is going to push my anger button if they decide to enforce these regulations when they don't seem to be enforcing a lot of the other important ones we really care about.  Rant over.

Joe

Henderson Harbor gets full of weeds and some kind of long broad blade grass, and it gets packed in the launch area (late June, July) you can hardly see the trailer at times, with my trailer I need to back in till just my back set of rollers are seen for a nice easy back on the trailer load. For this reason I keep a lawn rake on the back of my truck. I also cleaned out the launch area again for an elderly guy who was very nervous about putting his boat on his trailer in this sea of grass, it was right after we had everything buttoned up and ready to go. He said to me about maybe me putting the boat on his trailer, I told him I had a rake and would clean the area for him, then what ever you want to do I would do this for him, he said there is no way I can climb around under this boat to get rid of the weeds. So I said you go get your truck and trailer and back down to the ramp and I'll clean out the launch area, so I did and I did a real good job so he wouldn't get any weeds on his trailer and then he told me he would be able to do it, and he did, we helped him put on the straps and got everything ready for the road, he was so appreciative he wanted to pay us, I told him we don't accept money from our elders, maybe I'll need help one day. So he gave us some pointers on walleye fishing this area and that was worth more than any money could have bought. So yea I keep a rake on the truck come the summer months, as this is a free launch and hope it stays that way. A little work from everybody goes a long way.

Lets face it....we live in a police state. I have taken my boat to the car wash after leaving the launch EVERY SINGLE TIME I've used it since I have owned it no matter where I have been fishing and I've never used it in multiple waters on the same day......just one more straw on the camels back....what a state we live in .. I can imagine them trying to pull half the crap they do here  in someplace like Montana. :)  not to mention the fact the the cat is already out of the bag....and why weren't they monitoring the jerks who emptied their ballast etc. 

Yes I agree Dan but do we really need more formal regulations? Other than California we have more laws and regulations than any other state. I guess the SAFE Act crap and then the boating safety thing (e.g.after 50 years of boating all over do I really need to screw around with that?) I apologize for the rant..... must be male menopause  :lol: 

I can't agree with ya more Les, NY State is getting out of hand every time you turn around there's a new reg. or law to abide to, all in the sense of reaching deeper in our pockets, in one deal they lower the out of state fishing licenses and on the other hand after 40 years of boating, with only putting a scratch on the boat due to jet skiers flying around in circles in the no wake zone in the launch area at Henderson, my boat bounced against the corner of my trailer, I have to take a test, I haven't even looked into that expense yet, but to enjoy the only real hobby I have it needs to be done. How much money are they going to spend for people to drive around and check for this (I can drive safely on the water license) and for a person to inspect trailers and boats for weeds, what's the fine for not having a clean trailer? I mean what's next? don't even tell me!! 

I don't see that it's a big deal, other than Americans don't like being told what to do.  I always pull seaweed off my trailer lights/tongue and remove the drain plug when I leave the launch. I also store boat with drain plug out so nothing collects in it.  I know sometimes seaweed collects on the axle but I'm thinking I can get a window washing brush or something to knock that off.

One question that I have is how close to the launch ramp does it have to be done.  I certainly don't want to have to wait to pull out and just sit in the water longer while the guy in front of me drains/clean right there on the ramp.  I mean can it be done in the tie down area?  You know 100-200 ft from the ramp?  Hopefully on an up-hill area.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Just what I wanted to do...wade around in seaweed, rotting and stinking in the sun on hot blacktop while launching the boat. Kinda negates the benefits of having a nice paved launch to use. Just how does cleaning the trailer frame and axles for 30 minutes make a difference after the boat is sitting on bunks covered in it? The seaweed is trapped until the next time you launch, so in my opinion, anyone has wasted their time pulling part of the foul off the trailer. <br />

As mentioned before to really have the issue more in control, it is up to us to be sure the launch is cleared by a long handle rake. If you can carry one that's great, but the public ramps that are maintained by taxes and launch fees should have the ramp cleaning tools accessible. If everyone were using the rake to clear the ramp each time it became cluttered, it would soon be a clean ramp for every launch.<br />

<br />

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app<br />

<br />

Did the regs say anything about the birds?? I'm thinking they need to wash their feet, certainly they need sanitary regulations -- all those seeds flying around.

As for boaters.....support your local Marina.....use their launches.....pay them to spray down your boat.

I do my best to clean my boat and trailer everytime I pull it out, and I do use the car wash. I have fished multiple waters on the same day many times, and last year fished tupper lake, Oneida, and otisco the same day. How is anyone gonna wash/clean between the boat and bunks. My pontoon trailer has 2 20' bunks for each pontoon and I certainly don't jack the boat up to clean the 80' of carpet. Hope everyone conveys their concerns on the above link.

justin

Who is going to enforce this? Are we really going to take conservation officers off the water and out of the woods to stand at boat launches? At some point we the people need to be responsible enough to do the right thing without formal regulation. I clean my boat and trailer. Last I checked the round goby and zebra muscle didn't come from recreational boaters or fishermen. Nor did Asian carp.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

All you have to do is secure the rear of the boat before you get your trailer (make sure cleats are sturdy) and let it idle in forward for a few seconds.  Most of the loose stuff will get thrown away from the retrieve area.

My comment to DEC is basically to let it be done in tie-down area and not required at the ramp.  It'll make a mess of the ramp itself and we'll have to wait that much longer for the guy in front of us.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Lets face it....we live in a police state. I have taken my boat to the car wash after leaving the launch EVERY SINGLE TIME I've used it since I have owned it no matter where I have been fishing and I've never used it in multiple waters on the same day......just one more straw on the camels back....what a state we live in .. I can imagine them trying to pull half the crap they do here  in someplace like Montana. :).

I have been out west in Wyoming and Utah the last two years and they have similar regulations already in place......kind of a difficult regulation for the reasons others have stated. What do we do with Blue Herons or other waterfowl that can transport weeds on their feet or seeds in their feces????

Seems typical NY police state.   Good intentions but not practical or reasonable.   Unless facilities/equipment for cleaning boats/trailers at the launch site are provided it seems impossible to comply with the reg.   If the facility/equipment are there who will pay for it?   If this reg. is approved and enforced  I guess you need to be a cottage owner to fish on a lake.   I only fish Canadice/Hemlock and in a very small boat.   This sort of thing could prevent me from fishing.  I can't comply given the crappy launch sites at Hemlock/Canadice and they won't let me keep a boat there.  The way I see it you need running water and hoists etc.

Fed up with NYSDEC and NYS government.

The lastest word I heard that came from a meeting with the NYSDEC in Albany is the NYSDEC plans to fully implement this boat decontamiation regulation. $2 charge at boat ramps to clean boats and $500 fine for a violation.Everyone better get on the NYSDEC website under Public Review and voice your opinion or live with the regulation being forced upon you!

Capt Larry D Jones

Pres. E.L.E.C.B.A.

E.C.F.A.B.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by mostlymuskies

There is no logic in using boat contamination of public waters. This is a scheme to drive boaters from using their boats in order to bring revenues to the taxeaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app