Mag dipsy tangling help

I picked up 2 new clear mag dipsys this off season, one runs great, the other likes to tangle(leader and mainline wrapped(spun) so dipsy doesnt release).  ive changed the swivel off the braid, the leader, and it still spins on me.  The other identical dipsy, and the pile of other regular size dipsys do not have this problem.  Anyone ever have this? I almost only run FF on the dipsys

Is the screw that allows you to adjust the setting on the bottom or the dipsy loose? If its loose it will allow your diver to shift while its deployed and cause it to spin.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Mag dipsies MUST BE deployed slowly. If not, they WILL twist the line around themselves. You can see this for yourself by letting one go back quickly at the surface. You can see the nose turn towards the bottom when you release tension.

Really... are you of the school of thought that believes it gives too much slack to fish resulting in fish getting off??? This is a topic that is very debatable lol!

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I hope we didnt open a big can of worms here!  lol..  I know alot of guys like them, but i rarely lose fish on the dipsy without the snubber, and landed way less with them, just a preference thing for me. 

Really... are you of the school of thought that believes it gives too much slack to fish resulting in fish getting off??? This is a topic that is very debatable lol!

I hear ya, it is something I have been on the fence about.... to snub or not to snub, kings pull much different than Lakers and what line are you using to your dipsy, stainless, braid ,(Mono is just a long snubber...) preferences...

Yes I have had a clear mag diver flip on me to the point that I threw it out. All my other ones I have zero problems with. It makes no sense at all, I know. Just get rid of the problem child and don't stress over it.

Funny you say that bc the other one i bought with it runs great

Yes I have had a clear mag diver flip on me to the point that I threw it out. All my other ones I have zero problems with. It makes no sense at all, I know. Just get rid of the problem child and don't stress over it.

With all variables the same (screws tight, plates together and not warped) I can't see one dipsy working differently than another.  The effect of current on dipsys on each side of the boat WILL be different esp. if you have any type of cross-current.  A strong current pushing against the back of a dipsy could cause it to roll if you don't let it CREEP out super slow.  The same current on the opposite dipsy will work against the face of the diver and just make it dig out and down more.  I would not throw out a dipsy just because it spun IMO. 

The above info is all on the mark and the only thing I can add is to double check the screw that controls the weight on the dipsey it may be slipping (possible threads worn or slightly stripped even if brand new) on there. Make sure also you don't set the dipsey past the 3 setting whatsoever as it could do that but most commonly it will keep surfacing while the trigger is still set.

Edited by Sk8man

And I'm telling you guys I had one that was ****ed up! I tried it various times for 2 years and said **** it! Please don't tell me I let it out too fast. I've worked with mag divers since they were introduced. Anymore? I'm in the mood.

And I'm telling you guys I had one that was ****ed up! I tried it various times for 2 years and said **** it! Please don't tell me I let it out too fast. I've worked with mag divers since they were introduced. Anymore? I'm in the mood.

your a pickle sniffer ...... :devil:  :devil:  :devil: .

Been with Scott quite some time now and if there's any one who deploys his dipsey's slow it's him. Sometimes painfully SLOW. That being said out of some 20 I own 1 doesn't track correctly, and it went in the trash. Who has time to try and fix a $12 piece of plastic. It could have a slight warp in the fin 

LMAO !!!!

interesting you bring this up I had the same problem with my mag dipsey on saturday it is not clear but UV green.  I have been running this same dipsey for 3 years now and this is the first time i have had problems It didnt occur to me till this thread but the difference is i have been experimenting with no snubbers i guess i'll have to go back to using them. I havent lost a fish with out one yet but dont have the numbers overall to make a real comparison but the twist sucks so if that gets rid of it than it would make the snubber question real easy for me

Edited by ifishy