Gas Prices

I'm sure most of us would love to spend our "Stimulus" checks on fishin stuff, but will ultimately be putting it into the gas tank. This really has to get political before anything is done about it. McCain want's to eliminate fuel taxes from Memorial Day to Labor Day. This seems like more of a "Stimulus" than $600.00. With all the campaining going on, and I realize there are bigger issues than fuel, 300 million people contacting their political favorites may have a bigger impact than boycotting. Just my $.02, which might get your vehicle to the end of the driveway. I know I am wondering what I'm going to give up in order to go fishing and that sucks.

Shawn

compared to what i am reading on here i guess i am pretty fortunate to live within 1 mile of the lake in greece and within an hour of my 2 favorite fishing holes conesus and honeoye. my take on it is enjoy it all you can because it aint going to get any cheaper and probably much worse. 5 yrs. from now you'll be looking at this as " the good ole days".

Not to blow a hole in anyone's post but this is what I come up with on were the gas you put in your car/truck/boat comes from issue.. :roll: ....

"Can I tell which country or State the gasoline at my local station comes from?

The Energy Information Administration (EIA) cannot definitively say where gasoline at a given station originated since EIA does not collect data on the source of the gasoline sold at retail outlets. The name on the service station sign does not tell the whole story. The fact that you purchase gasoline from a given company does not necessarily mean that the gasoline was actually produced by that particular company’s refineries. While gasoline is sold at about 167,000 retail outlets across the nation, about one-third of these stations are “unbrandedâ€

Guest ReelDiel
Not to blow a hole in anyone's post but this is what I come up with on were the gas you put in your car/truck/boat comes from issue.. :roll: ....

I don't know if you where aiming this at me or not but what the hay I'll bite.

While that post is correct, to a degree. I will expand on my previous post to better educate those who may be intreseted and possibly patch any holes that seem to be present.

1. While there are branded and unbranded stations. It is very easy most of the time to tell the difference.

2. I also know for a fact any Sunoco gasoline at the branded stations

comes directly from our refineries around Philly (marcus hook, eagle point)

3. Then it is delivered directly to our branded stations, along with other unbranded mom and pop places. But our branded stations do not recieve product from other places. That is why you will see Sunoco tanker trucks on the road. Delivering our product to our stations. If you see a broker at one of our branded stations they loaded at one of our terminals.

4. Now as far as United goes, they have one crude oil pipeline that come directly from canada. They may take some in off small peddle trucks that get some from the hills in PA, like ARG in Bradford, PA does, but overall its moot. Again check your EIA website and you will see URC imports from canada only.

The info I was trying to distribute w/o causing to much confusion was that companies like Sunoco and Kwik Fill/Red Apple are a better bet if you want to support the local guys. If you would like I could probaly come up with the a list of branded stations in your area without to much trouble.

ReilDiel, my post was not aimed at you or anyone else and I apolpgize if I offended you, your company, your industry or anyone else :$ . I was just pointing out that you really don't don't know what is in the package until you dig a little deeper.

It was sorta like last month when I went into the frig and pulled out a well known brand of a half empty 1 liter bottle of apple juice from what I thought was an American product (no names `cause I don't want to piss anyone else off here), and while I was drinking a small glass of the juice I glanced at the side of the label and saw, "concentrate from China" over printed on the label. I almost puked. I threw the rest away and have been warning everyone else since then to read the label if you give a zhit were it comes from. BTW, after checking labels from the same manufacturer since I haven't found any more "concentrate from China" on them. Guess I wasn't the only one that noticed it.

Ok, again, I'm sorry :$. Just remember, not every steelhead jumps and not every laker dives to the bottom, so what you get into the boat may not be what you think your reeling in `till you see it for sure :shock: .

here is a solution... every hunter in the states heads to anwar, we all shoot as many caraboooo as we can, this will feed the hungry and there will be no reason not to drill in the worlds largest reservoir of oil. flood the market and OPEC will be forced to lower there prices to compete. every single american is paying to protect these critters and will probbally never see one!!! i beleive we can drill with very little inpact on this natural area. they have come along way on reducing the damage in drill sites.

Guest ReelDiel

Stinger,

No offense taken. I have been doing this stuff for 13years and it can be very confusing. I like to if possible try to clear some of the misconceptions that come up if I can. Believe me these prices hurt me just as much as the next guy, and I actually work for Sunoco Logistics. So we basically make money when we move product thru our underground line on tariffs. When demand is down so is our business. The sorry part as someone posted earlier with the decline in the dollar, it is not very promising for futures. It may be Hyundai and a canoe soon....lol.

.......I'm in for the hunt!!!!

I will probably embarass myself for asking this question. RealDiel you work for Sunoco and from what I am reading there are a few Gas companies that get there fuel or oil locally or from Cananda.

Her is my question. Gas has gone up because OPEC crude has gone up,right? Why did all the prices of gas go up in all the gas stations ,from all the oil companies even those who do not buy from crude OPEC?

I must be missing something here.

Guest ReelDiel

Shade, great question and to be honest i don't have a great answer. I do know a few traders in a couple different companies who I will pose this question to and see what kind of answer I get.

I will say the current situation has to do with the weaking dollar more then anything. Oil is traded in USD and as the dollars is worth less in the world it takes more dollars to buy a barrel...or a gallon.

I will try to get a straight answer on your question and post back.

Shade,

It is simple supply and demand.

Those who SUPPLY the fuel are DEMANING more cash from us!!

Truth be told it is Bush's fault and after Hillary has been pres for 3 years it will still be Bush's fault.

Now on to religion...............

"Her is my question. Gas has gone up because OPEC crude has gone up,right? Why did all the prices of gas go up in all the gas stations ,from all the oil companies even those who do not buy from crude OPEC?

I must be missing something here."

I will take a stab at answering this question. There are three major steps in getting gas in your car. 1) oil exploration and production. 2) The oil refiners. the guys that make oil into gas or jet fuel or heating oil and 3) the gas retailers which own the stations.

Some oil is produced by the same company that can do all three steps. The big guys like Exxon/mobil and Sunoco, etc. In most cases they do not produce enough oil to meet the demand of there own customers so they have to buy oil in the open market. Contracts for oil are bought and sold in an auction type of process, the main one in the US being at the Chicago board of trade. If you really need more oil this month to send to the refinery to make gas this is pretty much where you have to go to get it. You also have to out bid the company standing next to you. Thats pretty tough to do in a market like this where there is great demand world wide for oil. The more you have to pay in Chicago the more it cost for you to make gas which is then marked up and passed along to the customers.

There are only two ways for prices to go down in the long run. Increase supply, or reduce demand. On the supply side you can drill for more oil but the problem is the oil is in harder places to get to so it is more expensive to get out of the ground. It's difficult to drill wells a half mile deep in the ocean or in the frozen permafrost of the north slope of Alaska. Still the Oil producers are looking for every last drop and high prices encourage them to do that.

On the demand side high prices make us think about how much gas we use ourselves and how we can save money by using less. The more people switch off the the use of gas by going to alternative sources like hybrids or electric cars the less oil people need to by in Chicago then the prices come back down.

So the best thing you can do is figure out how to save as much gas as you can. If everyone cut back 10% on gas consumption this year it would be much more effective than boyctting a compnay or cutting the tax on gas. Most of us can save 10% on gas without it impacting our lives at all. Just keeping you tires inflated correctly saves 2%. Don't speed the difference in gas consumption in most cars is pretty big by going 60-65mph rather than 70-75 mph. Combine car trips. Don't let your car idle.

The term for traders is called demand destruction. Once you start to destroy demand there is more oil for sale in Chicago than there are people who need it and the prices come down.

I hope this helps.

Guest ReelDiel

thanks for the help greg. i'm not really up on all of the whole econmics part of this stuff. I do know that Sunoco no longer has an exploration division. They sold that off around the time companies all began to merge as they took a business model of production and distribution. So as not to have to try and keep up with the ExxonMobils.

Also if i'm not mistaken wasn't the clinton adminstration the one that allowed all these mergers to take place..exxonmobil, ashlandmarathon, conoccophillips.

anyway this threads getting beat to death :shock:

greg thats why i bought a trollihg moter all day today on less than 2 gal,on the other hand it cost 140.00 for my van to get me there and back..boy if i just knew someone from lyntucky that didnt play the banjo, id leave my boat there .........................................weeeelllll i got me a girl her name is jill,

Studies by oil companies have deducted that the american driver will not change their driving habits until gas hits $4.50 / gallon. Europe and Canada have dealt with these prices for years. We will hit the $4.50/gallon soon. I looked into doing the right thing by getting a diesel tow vehicle and running on biodiesel. I checked the price and biodiesel is 6.75/ga!!!!!!!! It seems the infastructure pipelines for biodiesel don't exist, so it must be brought in by railcar thus jacking up the price. Now, I hear that biodiesel and ethanol demand is causing corn and soy prices to skyrocket and leading to starvation in third world countries. So, what is the answer? The oil companies have us by the balls! With China and India gaining middle class car owners....the problem will get worse. Thank free trade for that!!! If you think the Iraq war is not about oil...I have some snake oil to sell you. My short term answer is to have one tow vehicle and one car that gets good gas mileage to do the run around. You guys that like to fish a lot, and have to tow your vehicle, consider getting a slip. Some you can get as cheap as $900.00. If you drive the small car to the boat, and fish more than eight times a year, then you will save in the end. Trolling motor a must. I troll all day with my Merc 9.9 for twelve bucks. For the professionals......you will have to raise prices. I am sure you deduct your fuel costs. Many pros still troll with the main engine, pulling trolling bags......seriously a trolling motor will pay for itself in three years.

I own and drive my own 18 wheeler and I also fish lake Ontario when I'm home. The truck runs 48 states, 6000 miles a week in a team operation and I do get around to see the differences in fuel costs across the nation. Diesel fuel being higher than gas in all states is the norm right now, however, in New York and Pa the price is the highest on the average than any of the other contiguous states. This is in part due to the taxes imposed on the fuel but there are states that charge similar tax rates and they are 15 to 20 cents a gallon cheaper than NY and PA. Must be the privilege of living here that we pay for I guess. Any way I see hundreds of new oil derricks going up every year around Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming just to name a few so the supply must be there for more pumps unless these are just to replace defunct wells, I don't know but there is plenty of drilling going on right here, I think we need to keep it here, if it is any good, send the sour stuff over to China or someplace where they can use it.

Any way...if a truck brought it... It's going to cost all of us more for everything right down to our shorts and split shot. $4200 last week to run the truck on diesel averageing $4.35 per gallon nationwide. $4.599 here in NY. and yes driving habits do effect your bottom line even if you slow down to the speed limit which is not the American way but try it and you will see in time. Carpool to the fishing grounds and share the expenses, all of them. This is what I do to keep my trips to Canada within reason. It can be difficult to get the time off at the same time but it is worth the extra effort if you really want to go.

There will be a trend to using smaller boats and smaller tow vehicles to counter the gasoline price rise. When I grew up, we used 14 to 16 foot boats and did well. The world is changing and we need to change with it.I went to Ohio last month and found 32 foot Marinette cabin cruisers going for less than $5,000. The scrap aluminum in the boat is worth more than that.