Salmon River Fish Counts?

A lot of tlc. The other is money. The state makes its living this time of year. Guys there are no crowds in the catskills this time of year. Its a necessary evil. Three hour drive, no kings. Its been this way as long as i can remember. No more crickets was a huge upgrade. The fishing is world class in this state. I tend to believe the guys running this fishery know just what they are doing.

Given that this is indeed a world class and unique situation, that is the great lakes Salmon restoration project and subsequent fishery; if I had my druthers there would be a one fish per day take limit, on Salmon,  and a one steelhead per year carcass tag type thing. That is me being strange (ie: different than most) because I believe all Pike and Bass should be catch and release, unless say a mortal hook set and a carcass tag for trophy mounting. But again I'm just a dreamer;  but I have seem the result of a unmolested fishery  ( I use the term unmolested loosely) and the fishing is amazing.

I say why kill a wild freshwater fish when tilapia is so cheap and yummy.

I am glad to here the numbers of kings showing up in time for egg collections starting next week, I would have loved to still see the 500,000 K  eggs we are expecting from Canadien eggs this year as a contingency plan.

I assisted the OMNR with the chinook egg collection in the Credit River this past Friday (also last day of collection)  it was a great collection.  The average size of fish were up over last years collection with many around and over 30#  We did 71 families on Friday for something like just over 300K eggs if memory serves me correct.  From what I understood we collected an additional 500K to "eye" which will be handed over to NYDEC.  There were no shortage of salmon in the river.

Cheers,

G

From what I understood we collected an additional 500K to "eye" which will be handed over to NYDEC.  

Cheers,

G

That is great Gavin! I heard that in addition to the additional eggs, they are sending over a couple of cases of Labbat. Any truth to the rumor about the beer?

I assisted the OMNR with the chinook egg collection in the Credit River this past Friday (also last day of collection)  it was a great collection.  The average size of fish were up over last years collection with many around and over 30#  We did 71 families on Friday for something like just over 300K eggs if memory serves me correct.  From what I understood we collected an additional 500K to "eye" which will be handed over to NYDEC.  There were no shortage of salmon in the river.

Cheers,

G

I'm not trying to discredit your observation but do you have any data on the average size of fish and numbers because the picture your giving us of the north shore run is totally different then what we are seeing on the south shore. and if your findings could be proven it would be really interesting to find out why Canada is having a normal run and large fish when the US is having a poor run and less fish.

I just returned from Washington State, The Columbia River King & Coho run was huge in mid Sept with over 6000 Kings & 3000; Coho passing through Boneville Dam Fish Latter every day.The rest of the costal rivers and western rivers were so low no fish were running up at all or very few.Out in the Sound out of Everett Marina the average was very low about 1 salmon per every 2 boats, they had only started to show at the end of September.Other then the Columbia River you can't keep Kings and those you can keep must Be Hatchery Fish Not Wild fish and you only get a short period of time to fish.I actually believe we have a better fishery in Lake Ontario now for Kings!

Edited by mostlymuskies

I just returned from Washington State, The Columbia River King & Coho run was huge in mid Sept with over 6000 Kings & 3000; Coho passing through Boneville Dam Fish Latter every day.The rest of the costal rivers and western rivers were so low no fish were running up at all or very few.Out in the Sound out of Everett Marina the average was very low about 1 salmon per every 2 boats, they had only started to show at the end of September.Other then the Columbia River you can't keep Kings and those you can keep must Be Hatchery Fish Not Wild fish and you only get a short period of time to fish.I actually believe we have a better fishery in Lake Ontario now for Kings!

This is the exact reason the DEC should get off their butts and do a better job with the fishery we have!!!!

I'm not trying to discredit your observation but do you have any data on the average size of fish and numbers because the picture your giving us of the north shore run is totally different then what we are seeing on the south shore. and if your findings could be proven it would be really interesting to find out why Canada is having a normal run and large fish when the US is having a poor run and less fish.

No worries, I know we're all trying to get a handle and make heads or tails with what's happening and looking for answers along with any & all info we can get. I assisted 2 days with the collection both during the 2nd week last year and only 1 day this year on the last day (this past Friday). That is what a few of the OMNR staff told us when we asked how the collection was going this year with regards to numbers & size when compared to last year as we were telling them about the dismal season we had out in the lake, they were surprised at what we told them based on what they were seeing the past 2 weeks in the river collecting.

For what it's worth, there was also significantly less Coho in the river this year during collection when compared to last, they were everywhere last year it was great to see, whereas Friday we maybe came across a dozen.

As an fyi, Andy Todd, Lake Ontario FMZ 20 Manager, is coming to speak at our Straitline Angler meeting in November which is held the 1st Tuesday of the month in Grimsby, all are welcome to come.

Cheers,

G

No worries, I know we're all trying to get a handle and make heads or tails with what's happening and looking for answers along with any & all info we can get. I assisted 2 days with the collection both during the 2nd week last year and only 1 day this year on the last day (this past Friday). That is what a few of the OMNR staff told us when we asked how the collection was going this year with regards to numbers & size when compared to last year as we were telling them about the dismal season we had out in the lake, they were surprised at what we told them based on what they were seeing the past 2 weeks in the river collecting.

For what it's worth, there was also significantly less Coho in the river this year during collection when compared to last, they were everywhere last year it was great to see, whereas Friday we maybe came across a dozen.

Thanks as I'm thinking that if Canada is having normal runs and large fish then the issue of low returns and small fish is due to something that the NY DEC did, not a lake wide issue. This would also help to eliminate a lot of the other theory's as to why the fishing was so bad.

Edited by salmonboy41

Thanks as I'm thinking that if Canada is having normal runs and large fish then the issue of low returns and small fish is due to something that the NY DEC did, not a lake wide issue. This would also help to eliminate a lot of the other theory's as to why the fishing was so bad.

Maybe we all suck and have grandiose delusions of our deep-water fishing prowess.

Thank you all for the great information...I'm leaning towards weird weather and fish patterns instead of collosal fish population problem.

I agree. Bait on the west end was as nonexistant as the kings. Most years water temps top out near 80 degrees. The bar made it up into the sixtys than flipped twice. Fall loc the temp was a consistant 40 degrees. I wont speak for the whole lake. The temps killed us most of the season. There was a huge pod of fish that came in september. I like to walk the gorge after the boats closed up. There are fish in all the holes I've been fishing for thirty years. Better luck next year. Whens the boom come out? Im ready. KINGS RULE!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Any update on the number of salmon that came up so far? More, less or about the same as last year? How about size this year? I haven't read anything in awhile. Thanks!

Certainly a lot of pessimistic views from various anglers, its understood early on for the Salmon River anyway things were bleak for 2014. Even though it was to be expected due to the winter of 2013/14, it still seemed to shock most anglers. After an epic run of early kings in the SR in August of 2013 how could there possibly be a comparative evaluation. I am out and about on average 4-5 days a week from areas of Oswego and East & North of here, in the last week alone I have witnessed more Kings than "ever" in the past in my travels, thus as far as "late" season is concerned, I know of cleaning stations taking in literal hundreds upon hundreds of Kings to clean, one cleaned almost 1000 KIngs in the last 10 days that I know. Size of fish is down "over-all" and again if otherwise was expected d/t last winter then most should just keep playing the lottery in hopes of winning. Still from as recent as yesterday I've witnessed anglers with "limit" catches of Kings, and not just one lone angler but groups of 2 and 3 anglers with 6 and 9 fish respectively. Many of which still have skeined eggs, even one Altmar cleaning station reporting record runs of Coho's with 35% of all eggs still "tight"

Mother Nature speaks last !!!!!

Tom 

Edited by A-TOM-MIK

Officially The Hatchery harvested and fertilized 3.9 million Chinook eggs in four days. They also had many "green" fish, meaning fish that weren't ripe sitting in the runs that they had to put back in the holding ponds to ripen up. This week they'll finish up the Coho egg take. Plus the additional eggs from Canada.

I've been on a lot of tribs here in the western basin, and fresh kings are still rampaging up these trickles. Latest I've seen this many fish come in in the shape they are in. Saw some 30 plus pound fish idling in a nearby trib on Sat. Just my observation, but it looks like a lot of Salmon simply weren't playing where many were fishing this past open water season. 

A late run is what we want.  More likely the water temps and flow will be conducive to natural repro.  I wish I knew where they were hiding all year.  It is going to bug me all offseason.

Yes, I agree, the natural reproduction should be good this year with cold temps and lots of water. 

I still think the count was a bit lower than previous years (don't ask me to prove it, it's my gut feel). Mainly because

there's too many bait fish out there - seems to be an imbalance right now.

Anyhow, the class after this year's run should be great.  Can't wait to see what happens in 3 years.

Stopped by the hatchery today. Third time there for me this year and the size of the fish in the ladder was noticeably bigger than they were a week ago. Much bigger than any I caught this year on the lake. Most of them looked to be in pretty good condition too. Not sure what this means but thought I'd share the data point.