Class Reel for Spring Browns?

Adk1

I am going to pick up 2 to 4 level wind reels most likely line counters for spring brown fishing. I do not have any reels other than my salmon rods where are 30 class reels and big rods. Anyone recommend a reel class? the 15s or 20's? I would have these setup exclusively for browns

I was thinking more along the lines of the Cabelas depthmaster combos. On Sale right now for $60.

Don't do it!!!! I went that route once (the price is appealing isn't it). I got them for $45ea so was even better. You get what you pay for buddy... I gave away 10 of these combos last summer because I couldn't stand to look at them after losing multiple good fish due to drag/lockup malfunctions. Oh those depthmaster rods will also easily snap on you too! Might work fine for smaller bodies of water with a smaller class of fish. Not for Lake O!

I use nothing but Daiwa Reels and they won't disappoint. Sealine 27's for Browns and they'll double as walleye setups.

Edited by FleetTracker

I used to have "browns" rod and reel ,"walleye" rods and reels ,and "salmon" rods and reels.....just change to lighter leader and use yer salmon setups.20.00 in good leader or 2 to 400.00 in setups you use 1 time a year......just my suggestion...then ya got 400.00 you can spend lures,spinnys and flys....

Don't listen to the two old guys above!  Buy more stuff!  I like the Daiwa Sealine 27 lcs or Saltist 20's on Daiwa Heartland 7'6 medium action rods for brown set ups.  Browns are not much fun on Salmon gear. 

Agreed Gambler. If you only fish a few times a year then I could understand trying to multipurpose gear. If you miss 2 or 3 weekends from April-October like I do, you should and you'll learn to appreciate building a specie-specific arsenal.

a good medium light action rod or light action rod is the way to go put a slightly bigger reel on it and you can use it all year leader down for browns and up for kings.  lots of fun on browns and even fingerlakes fish but enough in them for even the big kings.  I have 3 that are on long term loan from my dad and we used them back in the 80s and they have more fish than i can count on them. I never worry about a fish outclassing the rod and they are still a blast even on seneca lake.  they even have some striped bass on them from the hudson.  I've been on the look out for a couple more light action or medium light actions to add.  the key is the reel get something with a good drag mine currently have diawa greatlakes sealines also from the 80s they have stood the test of time.  

It's not the reels but the rods to me. The Salmon size rods have a tendency to pull the small hooks from the stickbaits out of their mouths. Get a few lighter rods & use the reels you have.

Exactly! We have been running Shimano Clarus 9' ML action rods for 4 seasons now. Great rod! I'm not sure they make them anymore. Wasn't able to find them on their website. Daiwa makes a similar rod I'd like to get my hands on;

http://www.daiwa.com/rod/detail.aspx?id=649

Their - DXS902MLFB

This spring LOC because of the weather/lake temp/ water clarity in my area I used my brown rods w/  sticks off planers & riggers  for the kings I caught.

I have a few rods I made years ago on Fenwick Steelhead blanks I like . One is 9' the other is 8'6" I like the length & soft tip .

Diawa sealine linecounters would be ideal, but I have a hoot with spinning gear and bass baitcaster sized reels.

what would you pair one of those reels with length of rod and action? Thinking 7'6" medium?

what would you pair one of those reels with length of rod and action? Thinking 7'6" medium?

Ugly Stick lite action one-piece rods. They double as my rigger and/or leadcore rods for salmon. They are cheap, they torque way down on riggers to get out of the way, and they are almost indestructible. Cabelas sells them so you can use your cabelas points to buy them.

Gill T is spot on....I even use a couple for copper.  The ones I have are medium action (very light weight) Here is the specific rod designation:  USCA710M  (Medium Action 8-20 lb test line) 01L13CM