Need Rigging/set up suggestions from the pro's

gpearce

First off, thanks to all the members who have helped out in the past and to all who may help out this round. This will be my 3rd year on Lake O. I have done ok but i am hoping to boat a few more this year. I have all the electronics(or will have by spring) so depth/speed/temp is under control. Where i think i am lacking is in the setup/rigging. Here is a brief list of what i run. I would appreciate any suggestions or critiquing on what i should change or try.

2 rigger rods with 20lb suffix elite - spin dr's  with 36'' lead to flies. 

hotspots with 48'' 20lb seaguar florocarbon to spoons

half core rig with 30lb power pro backer and 20lb floro leader(15ft) connected with spro swivels( use spin dr and flies) inline planer used.

half core rig with 30lb power pro and 20lb floro leader(15ft) connected with spro swivels( use spin dr and spoon)inline planer used

Dipsy rig with 30lb flea flicker mono. 5ft 20lb mono from diver to spin dr. 36'' floro lead to fly or spoon.

300ft copper rig with 30lb power pro backer and 20lb floro leader(15ft) use spin dr's and flies

All connections are made using spro swivels.

snap swivels for flashers are torpedo

snaps for leaders are dreamweaver

also, are spin drs better for flies and hotspots better for spoons?

are copper or lead core better for flies or spoons?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gerry.

I run spoons without flashers and spin doctors with flys. Some days all they want are just spoons and other days it's spinnys and flys. Last year we caught way more fish without flashers and SD ,So try changing your spread up that way a bit. I also just run 65lb power pro on my dipsey rods and it's been flawless. 10 color lead core off my boards with just spoons worked great also.

Gerry you should seriously consider taking an on-the-water class with a reputable charter captain. It will take years off the learning curve. At the very least you should sign up for the LOTSA salmon school this January in Niagara Falls.

There is lots to learn and anything you can do to expedite your learning will make your trolling experiences that much more pleasant.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Ditto on Paul's comment ....seeing the stuff in action is by far the best route to get up to speed and maximize your success on the water.

Gerry you should seriously consider taking an on-the-water class with a reputable charter captain. It will take years off the learning curve. At the very least you should sign up for the LOTSA salmon school this January in Niagara Falls.

There is lots to learn and anything you can do to expedite your learning will make your trolling experiences that much more pleasant.

:yes:

We did three charters before we ever launched our boat and all three times we told our captains what we wanted to do.  We asked lots of questions and got great answers.  The captains and mates even explained what they did and why without questions when they figured out we were really serious and would probably understand it pretty good.  The first time we put our boat on the lake we felt like we had an idea about what to do and we have been pretty successful.  There are lots of great captains who are willing to teach their clients how to do what they do.

This is fantastic advice and well worth the money.

Good luck,

Chris

Disclaimer: I am not a charter captain - only an amateur weekend warrior.

Thanks. Never thought of booking a few charters for the hands on experience. Since im on the canadian side of the pond anyone know any good charters that run out of the niagara area? 

To answer the question from 'has been' I have the ability to fish out of my  81 campion 220 april to late october. I usually fish out of bronte or niagara area.

Amen and by the time you split the cost up 4-5 ways, it will only be about $100-$150/each! People don't realize how cheap it is after splitting it up and the info you'll get is priceless.

Wire or braid on dipseys. Mono sucks. 8' of 40# from dip to flasher. Maybe get another dipsey instead of the core when the fish get below 50'. Any color ,as long as it's black. No snubber.

Rigger rods good.

19-22"  spinny to fly. 15-30' behind ball or use on Dipseys (best).

If they are 11" hotspots ' I use mine for meat. Rhys Davis head 30-60" behind the flasher. 25' behind ball or on the dipsey.

Run spoon clean. 15-40' behind ball or on dipsey. Go down to 25# test  for dipsey.

One of my favorite setups for kings when they get out past 60' is two dipseys w/ flashers .Or one spoon , one flasher.On one rigger one flasher set 25' back from ball.On other side of boat one spoon 10' above the flasher , One 10' below set back 30-40'.Or all spoons staggered/ no flashers, sometimes I think they scare the fish away.

Most important thing  with this type of fishing is LOCATION, got to be over them to catch them.

Once you find them , stay on them.

Troll 1.9- 2.7 MPH .Get Sea bags or Buckets to hone it in.  Keep your depth finder on Manual( common mistake w/ new guys) & adjust. Fish the Bait & Fish , no matter what the temp.Look for surface temp breaks.  Look for Green water & try to stay out of that dead black clear water. Troll in lazy S  & don't be afraid to turn around & go back where you hooked up Direction of troll can be critical .

You are in a good spring area . In front of the Welland canal & the Bar  is a good spot Early spring till June. Last year sounded bad up that way because of cold water/ Ice  but it seems that it won't be that way  this year.

There are always lakers up that way on the bottom 30- 100' for fun if the Kings are not there.

Hope this helps & good luck to you.

Part of the fun to me is figuring it out.

Edited by Has Been

Still having issues with the website and it is on my hosting service's end. I'm getting a little irritated, it's been down since Monday, but it is what it is. I'll post to let everyone know when it is back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I would run smaller spoons on your 5 color cores. Then put those away after June. They rock for late spring/early summer trout. Mainly spoons on the 300 copper. Maybe a chrome flasher/fly on a sunny summer day on the 300 copper. Stretch your leader to 25 ft. My distance from flasher to fly is 23-25. Pick up a 500 or 600 copper. Wire on your dipsey reel and get another one. You'll catch more kings on your dipseys! Cut bait or flys with a 48-60 inch lead on your big flashers...down deep in mid summer till fall. For kings i usually run 2 coppers on big boards, 2 riggers (one stacked/staggered), 2 mag dipseys. Steelhead and browns: 2 riggers and 4 junk lines. Early Browns: 6 junk lines in shallow with floating stick baits.

I would run smaller spoons on your 5 color cores. Then put those away after June. They rock for late spring/early summer trout. Mainly spoons on the 300 copper. Maybe a chrome flasher/fly on a sunny summer day on the 300 copper. Stretch your leader to 25 ft. My distance from flasher to fly is 23-25. Pick up a 500 or 600 copper. Wire on your dipsey reel and get another one. You'll catch more kings on your dipseys! Cut bait or flys with a 48-60 inch lead on your big flashers...down deep in mid summer till fall. For kings i usually run 2 coppers on big boards, 2 riggers (one stacked/staggered), 2 mag dipseys. Steelhead and browns: 2 riggers and 4 junk lines. Early Browns: 6 junk lines in shallow with floating stick baits.

My note pad is getting full!!!! cant wait till spring. Another thing.. what are you guys running for wire rods/reels for dipsy's? I dont like the roller guides, is it ok to use the okumas classic pro dipsy rods with wire? how about adding the spring tip? are the 20series too small for the wire-i have a few kicking around...

Thanks again