Rods for use with planer boards

What rod do you guys use in the spring for fishing for browns off of a planer.  I just got some super light 8-12lb rated trolling rods(i liek the action so far even though its just me screweing around in the living room.  I have yellow bird and offshore planers.  The offshore planers weight 10oz and im thinking thats too much for pulling a planer on this rod. I have some okuma classic pros(8-20 lb rated) that seem like they can handle the weight of the planer better.  The downside is I feel like if I catch a cookie cutter brown I will be reeling it in with a broomstick.  Open to suggestions. Can I use the light rated trolling rod?

I run Ugly stick BWD 1101 light action DR rods for my small inline boards.

Well built and light enough to enjoy a Brown on, as well as enough backbone to handle the occasional King that is lurking in the early spring shallows.

At about $50.00 a rod they are tough to beat.

I run Ugly stick BWD 1101 light action DR rods for my small inline boards.

Well built and light enough to enjoy a Brown on, as well as enough backbone to handle the occasional King that is lurking in the early spring shallows.

At about $50.00 a rod they are tough to beat.

These are what I use year round. Agreed

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Silver fox. Do you pull lead core say 5 colors with a board with the bwd 1101 rods? I am going to purchase probably eight rods and I would prefer to run my mono and leadcores all on the same rods just switching reels. I use church tx 12 and then 22s once we start using up to five colors. I was using cabelas medium action 8 fters and don't like them, we have broke a bunch.

Thanks for the response in advance.

You will be more then happy running the L 8'3" Ugly Stik's Señor. Great rod for Browns and Walleye. That said I strictly use them on big boards and riggers flatlining cranks or spoons. No leadcore... So I can't comment on their capability there but I would assume 5 colors and less would be OK. Myself I use the Okuma pro GLT 7'6" medium light action rods for all my short cores (3,4,5,6). A little bit more backbone helps with the cores.

I use the same rods Chas mentioned for Kings... They're overkill for Spring Brown fishing.

Edited by FleetTracker

Silver fox. Do you pull lead core say 5 colors with a board with the bwd 1101 rods? I am going to purchase probably eight rods and I would prefer to run my mono and leadcores all on the same rods just switching reels. I use church tx 12 and then 22s once we start using up to five colors. I was using cabelas medium action 8 fters and don't like them, we have broke a bunch.

Thanks for the response in advance.

Yes, no issues. These are the same rods A-TOM-MIK sells for copper. He may have a bunch.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Short rods in the 7' range make setting boards much easier. Not sure of what you are looking for in a rod that "fights" a BT from a boat moving 3mph with an inline planer attached. I really like my clients to haul the fish in quickly, the small fish come right in and can be released quickly, the larger ones fight ok.

Currently using 7' Shimano TDR medium I found them for $17 each.

If I am fishing for fun, it's spinning rods

Okuma blue diamonds - bd-c-762ml-1

rods are 7'6" med/light action have a triangle fore grip which is very comfortable and "natural" to hold on to.

browns and coho's are perfect on this rods and enough backbone for the lurking spring king.