5 color worth taking come mid-June ?

Quick question for you lead core guys......I am heading up to Pont Breeze June 13th (ish), and I have an older Okuma 20DX that I managed to fit 5 colors onto last year. It worked well on Lake Erie walleye, but wondering if I should switch it to braid for another dipsy rig ??? Any suggestions on the 5 color that time of year ?

Thought about using some snap weights on it (guppy's), but I am unsure of the depth I would be at with added weights. Shot in the dark I guess....

I don't have a lot of extra rods, so I would assume be prepared for the best option. Just don't want an unproductive set-up if I can avoid it.

I have an Okuma 30 that I thought about 7 core, but I can't invest any more in this trip or I will be seeking out another wife (maybe a rich one, who knows !!)

Thanks !

Well I'm a lead core guy, but put simply you can be way more versatile with braid, mono jets-dipsy- slide divers on and on, save the 5 core maybe come across another reel somewhere.

Thanks guys.....I might chance it and keep it spooled. I have up to 3 oz in-lines, so I can get to at least 35, if not more. I am just unfamiliar with fishing the top 50' in 100+ FOW. It seems strange to me to fish high in such deep water. Thanks again.

I can't agree more with the guys saying to keep the core, if you don't have the dive charts for the snap weights you are guessing. I just thought it would be easier to run jets #20-30 or a dipsy with the dive chart on the back. I have all the Precision Trolling Bibles with the dive charts but those that don't the other methods are easier to target your depth you want. Just saying.

The second week of June will find you taking kings, steelhead, cohos and lakers on that 5 color core.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

X2.  If I wanted to fill my boat with fish in June I would run as many leadcore as possible esp. if you go offshore.

June is usually a "transition" month on the lakes with the thermocline starting to form so leadccores are often productive then and if you find the fish somewhat below where your 5 core is running you can do as Big Dave suggested sometimes I just add a few large split shot about 4 or 5  ft up from the spoon and troll a slight bit slower but it depends on what else I'm running too.

I never take the plainer rods and short cores off my boat.  The summer of 2013, we were fishing browns in 25-35 fow in July and crushing them on short cores.  There are times during upwellings that they will come into play also. 

I never take the plainer rods and short cores off my boat.  The summer of 2013, we were fishing browns in 25-35 fow in July and crushing them on short cores.  There are times during upwellings that they will come into play also.

X2 Some of my best big king days have come off of 5 and 7 cores with Atommiks and Spin docs with the right thermals in the months of June and July. Edited by bigblue

Perfect guys, I really do appreciate the advise.

Again, it is hard for me to think about deep water fishing, but in the upper column. I am usually struggling to get my 5 color deep enough for Lake Erie walleye from July onward. I do use guppy weights and tadploes, usually 2 oz, and I expect to get an additional 15' (ish) to the depth. But, this is typically with cranks so I am just guessing based on the leader length. I do not have a trolling manual to follow, but I have a multitude of different dive charts that all seem to be a bit different.  

My guppy weight I would run the 50/50 method, but with tadpoles I usually run them 6-8 feet from the lure. Combine this with the different dive curves on the lures and I get baffled and confused !!

Sounds like I should just long line the core with a spin doctor and fly, and be in the 25ish foot range. I should probably follow the general rule : Find the setting that works best and replicate....replicate....and replicate.

You guys are awesome !!! Thanks.

Are you planning on running the 5 color on the size 20 okuma? I would be concerned about not having anywhere near enough backing, and a king spooling you and ruining your day. If you have a larger reel to put more backing on, I would definitely try it. Just my .02

Totally agree with the general sentiment above, I will run my 3 color, 5 color and 10 color all year long, because of the steelhead and Coho's that stay higher in the water column.  Also easier on church boards to spread them out to the side, away from riggers and divers, then say a slide diver.  If there are only 2 of us on the boat and I can only run 6 rods, and I am targeting kings specifically, I run 4 divers and 2 riggers with free sliders. But if there is 3-4 people, then totally putting out the spread with leadcores.  And June is still very active for fish above 35'

Good luck!

Jason

Are you planning on running the 5 color on the size 20 okuma? I would be concerned about not having anywhere near enough backing, and a king spooling you and ruining your day. If you have a larger reel to put more backing on, I would definitely try it. Just my .02

DJ, that is a lot of the reason I thought about just going to braid for another dispy rig. I had to cheat to get 5 color on the rod, but it usually isn't an issue with walleye fishing Lake Erie.

But....I am adventurous. If something spools me I just have an excuse to hit up a tackle shop, or just spool braid on while  on the boat. Or....a better reason to buy a bigger reel !!!

I am torn on this one, but.....I guess I have to make the decision.

Nix the flashers and run spoons right now if you want numbers.

Thanks for the tip !! I am not really seeking the biggest fish that swim.......family is coming up with me this year and just want to get them a fish or two in the boat. I am there for 5 days......so I am hoping we can put at least 1 a day in the boat !! That would make for a good trip.... 

I will certainly try running the core clean for a while.....

• 2 weeks later...