New Sonar Help

jigstick

I'm looking to replace my old Raynarine A60 chart plotter and sonar with some new technology. But I don't need all the bells and whistles. All I need is a big screen, GPS / sonar combo, that is NMEA compatible so I can sync with my Raynarine autopilot.

The choices now are stacked to the gills with Bluetooth, sidescan, down imagining, etc. I don't need that crap.

I troll exclusively. Would like to stick with either Simrad, Raymarine, or Garmin.

Any ideas for a simple unit?

I just did search of the models for one of my buddies.  I was very impressed with the new Garmin Line.  I steered him towards the Garmin 73 DV.  DV = Down View.  He is happy with it so far.  Very user friendly and good screen. A lot of good ones out there.

• 2 weeks later...

x3.  I have the 73DV without chirp and love it.  I use it primarily with the traditional sonar view but their customer service has been leaps and bounds above my interactions with Lowrance in the past.  The new quickdraw functionality is great also.

Jim

With either of these Garmin units, would I notice a significant improvement in marking ability compared to my Raymarine A60 + Airmar P58 setup?  My current setup marks fantastic on Lake Chautauqua when I'm going after musky.  But it seems like its performance craps out when I get onto Erie or Ontario in deeper water

So I think I have decided on the Garmin echoMap 73SV or the 93SV.  ive talked to a few dealers.  They both are identical except for screen size. 

It comes with a "high wide" CHIRP transducer, and from what I have been told the frequency range of this transducer should give outstanding clarity for targeting fish in the top 150ft of the water column, and hold bottom in over 1000FOW.  The cone angle is the best I can get at this price point.  I would love an even wider angle but they transducers get crazy expensive to get it.

It also does CHIRP downimaging and side scanning, which I don't really need.  But I think I may be able to use those functions to help dial in how wide out I run my dipsys and planar boards.

Any guys using this unit?

Edited by jigstick

I have the a68 and the screen is big enough for only sonar. Now if you want to have the GPS and Sonar on the same screen I would recommend moving up to the a78 or a98. The CHIRP (Down visioin) is the cats meow when it comes to detail under the boat. I would never own another unit without it.

Also what model autopilot? If it has the ability to hook up via sea talk all you will need is one wire plug and go.

Here is a screen shot from my a68 this past weekend.

20160507_085913_zpsq2jmsxny.jpg

Edited by Chas0218

So Cabela's gave me a great deal today. 12% back using my Cabela's visa. So I ended up getting the Garmin 93 SV Chirp model for $1020. It does high wide chirp and traditional sonar, as well as side and down vue. It says this transducer has a max depth of 800ft. Hopefully it will hold bottom on Lake O. The deepest I've ever been is 650fow.

It is NMEA2000 compatible. I have a Raymarine Evolution 200 sport pilot that uses Seatalk. So I think I need to order a Seatalk-to-NMEA2000 conversion cable.

I just talked to Garmin tech support. They seemed to think that I should be able to choose a waypoint on the chart plotter and hit "go" and the heading will shoot over the auto pilot. But I'll have to engage the auto pilot from the Raymarine control head. I was hoping that the Garmin would engage it automatically.

How does yours integrate to the autopilot?

Edited by jigstick

Chas

is that a transom mounted transducer?  Or a thru hull?  are you trolling with an IO or kicker?  Im wondering how well these chirp transducers do at filtering out surface clutter.  Sometimes I have to use trolling bags which throw some turbulence behind the boat and mess with my current ducer.

Chas

is that a transom mounted transducer?  Or a thru hull?  are you trolling with an IO or kicker?  Im wondering how well these chirp transducers do at filtering out surface clutter.  Sometimes I have to use trolling bags which throw some turbulence behind the boat and mess with my current ducer.

That is the transom mount cpt-100 tansducer. That isn't one of the better screen shots it just showed the thermocline in the bay I fishing at that time. I have ran it with bags and no issues. Only thing I did not like is it would pick up my rigger balls and they give off such a strong return it starts to show them as bottom. I have been playing with the options to see if I can get it to register differently. Haven't found a good setting yet other than turning down the gain so it isn't as strong as a return.

IMG_3018_zpsmhfwcwhq.jpg

IMG_3017_zpsgkonhf1f.jpg

IMG_3009_zps8uz7stc9.jpg

So I finished installing my new GARMIN echoMAP Chirp 93SV yesterday.  Couldn't launch the boat today to try it out because it was snowing.  I'm definitely glad I went with the 9in display.  It will be super easy to see from the back of the boat.

Do you guys think I installed the transducer in a good spot, and at a got height?  I tried to keep it low so that the sidescan sonar would avoid the outdrive.  and I think I have the transducer even with the bottom of the hull...but what do you guys think?

Edited by jigstick

If the transducer is below the hull it gets dragged through the water at high speed...stressing the mounting bracket in the process. It also throws up a crazy rooster tail. That's how my Airmar P58 was installed.

I read somewhere that it's better to keep the transducer even with the bottom of the hull, or tilted 3 degrees up...so it "skims" the water while the boat is at plane. But I'm not sure if that's right either. That's why I'm asking to see what you guys are doing