losing downrigger

I have an islander with 3 Cannon stx riggers. They are super fast. When they stop at the top they bounce. To me it bounces a lot. I am curious as to anyone's experience here because I am concerned about possibly losing a downrigger. Maybe I am just paranoid. This is my first year with the set up and I am considering an aluminum or steel railing to mount riggers and rod holders to for extra support. I know more is probably better but I would prefer to forgo the expense. Any advise or ideas would be appreciated.

To remove some of the "bounce" several companies offer ball snubbers. I've used Amish Outfitter snubbers on my Cannons for several years and have been happy with them. As far as mounting riggers on an aluminum boat I'd use backer material and try to tie in to the structure. Track systems spreading the load with plenty of backer make sense to me.

I think Mr. 580 has it right. In any case you want to have the bases themselves stabilized to the maximum degree possible to reduce torque and "flexing" on the gunwales and and usually a stiff backing plate  would go a long way in doing this. Another thing to keep in mind (which most folks don't think about) is setting the "drag" on the downrigger so that if you hang up on bottom your downrigger isn't ripped out along with some of the gunwale. I saw this actually happen to someone during a derby on Seneca years ago (downrigger recovered by a hired diver) and it severely damaged the boat (huge chunk of fiberglass ripped out).

Edited by Sk8man

Currently I have traxtech tracks on each side with each rigger on a riser. It's necessary for them to be on a riser in order to swivel and clear a the edge on the side of the islander. Each track is supported underneath with plates. Guess my biggest worry is the base cracking. I do see that cannon sells stainless bases. That is an option or for probably the same total price of doing all 3 riggers or a small amount more I could use a heavy aluminum or steal rail/riser and remove a large amount of the bounce. It would also give me a few more inches of height on those choppy days. Anyone no where I can get risers? Maybe they call them something else.

The risers are probably a part of it because I had the Cannon pedestals on my previous boat and different downriggers and the bouncing effect was noticeable in that situation as well. The higher up they are the more this is accentuated because it changes the center of gravity regarding the weight and increases torque at the base.

Edited by Sk8man

This is exactly why I spent the extra $ on the Digi troll 10's this past spring. The speed of those mags were way too much and the bounce was nuts. My Digi trolls have 3 speed settings and I have no issue and love them.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

post-141141-0-17132200-1475244126_thumb.jpgHere's a pic of my setup for Mag 10HS Long Arm- Traxtech riser with swivel then short stop, Walker release, Amish Outfitter 9" snubber and weight.  I don't see anymore blow back and snubber has ended the snap/lost weight issue on the high speed riggers.  For my Mag 5ST's I use Cannon swivel then same arrangement for weight except for a Black's clincher release on my probe rigger.  Think I've ran same snubbers for 4 years.  They come in 2 pack- 6 inch for $8.50 and 9" for $9,50 -they use 500lb Spectra inside the tubing for these.  IMO real cheap way to take that snap out when the rigger stops.  I have no interest in Amish Outfitters either.

I have two Mag 10 STXs on 6 inch swivel risers. I have used them for 4 years now and have never had a problem with them. After the first year, I started using snubbers as mentioned above and it really reduced the bouncing effect when lowering and raising the balls. The drag is important as I have been hooked up before and having it set properly has saved my boat and equipment. There are very fast but I love that since I can lower and raise the ball to the depths I want when I see a bait ball on my fishfinder. I also don't use weights greater than 15 lbs due to the speed of the riggers. I feel that going heavier will put too much pressure on the base and the boat. I am fine compensating for the blowback with my fishhawk.

I have two Mag 10 STXs on 6 inch swivel risers. I have used them for 4 years now and have never had a problem with them. After the first year, I started using snubbers as mentioned above and it really reduced the bouncing effect when lowering and raising the balls. The drag is important as I have been hooked up before and having it set properly has saved my boat and equipment. There are very fast but I love that since I can lower and raise the ball to the depths I want when I see a bait ball on my fishfinder. I also don't use weights greater than 15 lbs due to the speed of the riggers. I feel that going heavier will put too much pressure on the base and the boat. I am fine compensating for the blowback with my fishhawk.

Curious as to how the Fishhawk compensates blowback.

I run 4 of the Mag 10 stx's. Been on boat for the last four years.  The only issue I had were the swivel bases that came with these. Had one totally shatter when I was setting a line.Luckily I was able to grab it before it went totally over.

i had one crack this year as well and cable was down 90 feet... rigger was leaning pretty close to the brink.  Did you call cannon to get a replacement? this swivel base was several years old not new.