Wire Divers

Currently have 2 rigger rods, 3,5,7,10 color lead, (2) 300 coppers, and 2 braid dipsys. Thinking of adding 2 wire dipsys and maybe a 400 or 450 copper.

No experience with the wire dipsys...is it worth the investment to add to the spread?

What rods and reels are recommended (both brand and size for the reel and weight/length for the rod)?

How much wire line do you guys run on each reel and what knot to connect it? (Use spro swivel like with copper or just straight to the mono)

Have read that wire can be a pain and can be dangerous...what are some tips to look out for?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

A couple of wire set ups would be a great addition to your arsenal.  Look at the Penn Squall Line Counter size 20.  You can fit 1000ft of wire with ample backing on them.  You can you use an albright knot to attach the backing to the wire.   The newly designed Ugly Stick 10 ft diver rods would work for you and they wont break the budget,  

Definitely add divers, some days that's all that fire. I use the Eagle Claw 10' diver rods but there are many great rods same with reels which I have run the Cabelas Depthmasters with great results. I run 1000' of wire straight on the reel, no backing. To attach to a swivel double the wire on the end and tie an over hand knot making a loop, push the loop thru the swivel eye and feed the loop over the bottom of the swivel and pull tight, trim the tag end and fish. Just be careful the wire doesn't kink, you won't be sorry you added to your spread I'm sure. 

x2 on the reels. We run Daiwa Saltists because the drags are unbeatable, but some folks don't like the way the line counters project out from the reel. You'd want to try one before deciding, if you haven't already. Saltist 30 reels get paired with Shimano Talora rods. We use a 9 foot diver rod TLA90MH2 for the outside diver and an 8' rod TLA80MH2 for the inside diver. If you're only running a pair of wires, I'd go with the longer rods. 1000' of wire spooled directly, with a simple overhand loop to attach a large swivel to the end of the wire, as stated above. Hence, no mono and no other knots. Check the last few feet and retie as necessary, mainly due to kinks.

The Walker Deeper divers worked great for us in sizes 4 and 5...I think they've been rebranded "Disco divers" now...and we ran Chinook divers last year. The Chinooks are all metal, great construction, and they work well once they're dialed in, but the release settings are somewhat tricky to hit that perfect sweet spot. Unfortunately, they don't fit in Die-ver docks for storage, so we'll probably go back to the other brand this year.

Tips on running them: let them pull out on their own. I even let them spool slowly under drag pressure while I'm rigging the rest of the set. If you simply drop them or allow them to go out in free spool, they will tangle. Wire-copper tangles are a nightmare. Run your copper either down the shoot or well to the outside off big boards. Don't set the hook when a fish strikes. They'll hook themselves. You'll just rip it out of their mouth. Those are the big things.

Another vote for the Daiwa Saltist 30, no backing needed, straight 1000' wire and overhand knot with snap swivel. I run Daiwa DXT wire rods, 8'6" and 9'6", these are rolller rods and they work great. There is a new line out this year, Great Lakes series, they have wire roller rods, have not been able to see them yet, but I am looking forward to putting a couple through the paces!!!

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Before you buy any reel, go to a store where you can compare. Many people find the line counters that stick out to the left of the reel very uncomfortable. Depending on how you grip the rod when fighting a fish the line counter can cause you to hold your left wrist in an awkward position. As you pump the rod working the fish your wrist must clear the line counter sticking out to the side. For some it's no problem. For others it's a very uncomfortable situation. The Saltist stick out the most, and Tekota almost as much. You really need to mount a left line counter reel on the rod you're going to buy and try it for yourself. You may very likely find you prefer a reel with a top mounted line counter. Do yourself a favor and compare both before buying anything.

As for rods, if you run the Torpedo 19-strand wire you don't need roller guide rods. That particular wire is soft enough that it won't damage the ceramic rings on better quality diver rods. Spend the extra $10 per spool for the 19-strand and save $100 per rod not buying rods with roller guides.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

Some prefer roller rods but the majority of us just put a twili tip on a regular diver Rod. $10 addition. Any 30 size reel will work. I prefer saltist. John made a good point on the counter but they don't bother me. What do you have braid on? You might be able to use one of those reels. Long coppers require large reels. Check anglers Avenue or atomik to see what they sell pre spooled...for an Idea on reels and size. If you have 300 copper already you could opt to just add a drop weight for added depth.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have my braid on sealine x 30 size. If I go wire I will be adding 2 new setups as I use my braid rods for jet divers for walleye too so I gotta keep those around as is

My 300 coppers are on convector 55s.

Will probably do the 400 or 450 on a cold water 553ls. Is there a preference on 400 vs 450?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have a couple of 10.5 dipsey rods that I find too long in my 18 foot boat especially when alone. I have a couple of extra Okuma 8.5 foot copper/leadcore rods and I was thinking of installing twilly tips and trying them realizing that I will have to use shorter leaders. Any thoughts on this plan I have not been able to find slide divers locally yet.

5 hours ago, Landshark said:

Are you just taping the wire when you go directly to the reel?

Capt. Michael Weaver. Pure Fishing Ambassador

Hey Mike,

Yes, we are, to prevent it from spinning on the reel if a king rips off 700+ feet. Single wrap and we've never had an issue. 

XX2 on John's suggestion to demo the reel. Put it on a rod in store and pump away. I have no problem with the Saltist, but one of my friends complains he gets a bruise when fighting a king on them. It all depends on how you position your fighting arm, I guess.

Edited by Gator

15 hours ago, John E Powell said:

As for rods, if you run the Torpedo 19-strand wire you don't need roller guide rods. That particular wire is soft enough that it won't damage the ceramic rings on better quality diver rods. Spend the extra $10 per spool for the 19-strand and save $100 per rod not buying rods with roller guides.

Hi John, I have two Talora diver rods that I use with braid. If I switch to Torpedo 19-strand wire, do I still need twili tips?

Thanks.

Hi John, I have two Talora diver rods that I use with braid. If I switch to Torpedo 19-strand wire, do I still need twili tips?
Thanks.

I would add a Twili.

Definitely run wire divers. Some days they catch all the fish. On average they catch as many of not more than any other setup. 

Shimano talora wire rods are the best, but you can use a standard heavy/medium rod. Needs some flex and long (minimum 8ft in my opinion). Need to add a twillie tip with a standard rod. 

Spool 1000ft of 30# 7 strand or 19 strand, smoke colored wire. 

Connect directly to a swivel using the wireline knot (search the lotsa site and you'll see pictures of it).