Legacy- 2018 Deer Season

Legacy

9 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Just remember boys, try not to stink up your prime stands before the real action starts.   I've seen it happen many times, it can cost you.

Try to mix it up, use climbers and secondary stands early, wait that extra 15 minutes to climb down if you saw or heard a deer close by so they don't bust you climbing down, change up your stand approaches if at all possible.  It doesn't take long to get patterned, and once you do it hurts your odds a bit.

If you hunt in a place with lots of human activity it's probably not such a big deal, but don't underestimate the power of hunting a fresh stand on the perfect day in late Oct/early Nov.

And keep in mind, if you're targeting a mature buck, he's back in bed well before first light this time of year, your best bet is almost always catching him at last light getting antsy and rising from his bed before it's fully dark on a high pressure/cold day or just ahead of one.

Good luck and good hunting. Its finally here !

Totally disagree on the big buck early morning movement. They will move 1-2 times in the early morning to feed/browse and you can easily score on a nice buck if you can get near their bedding zone during the early season in stealth mode (don't use a climber, get into stand quickly, avoid noise, etc). I think it's a huge myth that big bucks don't move early morning during the early season and you are missing out on a huge opportunity to hunt early morning during early October.

I 100% agree with low impact hunting early season and saving a prime stand hunt during late October after a passing cold front

I have several nice bucks on my wall that were early season harvests near a prime big buck bedding area.

Chris

• Like 1

An 8 pointer, 4 pointer and a button buck are standing by a field browsing on acorns.

The 8 pointer says,
'I'm happy with my 10 does, we're really getting along.'

The 4 pointer says,
'I'm happy as heck with my 5, they really take care of me!'

The Button buck says,
'My two are all right, better than nothing I guess.'

Then all of a sudden a GIANT 14 pointer walks out into the field.

The three bucks had never seen anything like him before, they were in awe.

The big buck made a huge scrape and pissed in it, rubbed a tree the size of a telephone pole and snapped it off at the ground!

The three bucks looked on in amazement.

The 8 pointer says,
'I could probably get by with 4 does...........
Who really needs 10 anyway?'

The 4 pointer says,
'You know.............. come to think of it, I only really use one or two of mine!'

The button buck was silent, as the other two bucks look over to him in confusion.

Suddenly the Button buck runs out into the middle of the field!

He rips and tears up some grass........
pisses all over the place,
snorts & wheezes,
rubs his head raw on a tree,
and chews a lickin branch clean off!

Then he runs back over to his buddies.

His friends immediately ask him,
'What the heck are you doing!?'

I'm just makin' sure that big son of a gun knows I'm a buck!'

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

October 3 PM

Plenty of deer on their feet this evening. All in the last hour or so before dusk. 5 Does/ fawns and 4-6 small bucks. All with one thing on their mind... Food!

IMG_20181003_173456199_HDR.jpg

Screenshot_20181003-184248.png

On 10/1/2018 at 5:17 PM, Frogger said:

Permit valid under special conditions if applied: antlerless only, in crop fields and void when crop is final -harvested from 1/12-9/30 only. Standard conditions: permittee and agent are only ones to hunt Must have the permit in possession with carcass tag/s when hunting Shotgun or center for rifles only. Shooting hours 1/2 hr before sunset to 11:00pm. Use of artificial lights permitted after sunset. Not valid during open deer season. All other nys regs apply. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

What you saw was a guy cheating.  These scammers have zero ethics and leverage the NYS system loopholes and hunt trophy bucks with rifles in the evening/well into dark with spotlights over food sources.  Takes no skill, and the animal has no chance.

By my house in Penfield these scammers have planted a handful of free pine trees that they got from the state, they let them grow a couple years and cut some branches off claiming the deer rubs were ruining their business of Christmas tree farming.   The DEC didn't even ask for proof and gave them 30 "deer damage permit" tags.

The past two years at summers end we hear the rifles go off at dusk and these dopes literally chain saw off the heads of these beautiful bucks, leave the carcass and take em to the taxidermist.  I have witnessed this three times and finally drove up to ask them what was up with this scam.   They seemed proud of the kills and that they figured out the loophole.  It's not fair chase, or fair anything, but they don't care because the DEC doesn't care.   The shooters told me they have buddies that do this all over NY.   Nice job DEC, way to go.  Nuisance permits are doe only but these DDP permits include bucks too now.   Total joke the state should be ashamed of themselves.  Next time you see a DEC official be sure to let em know.

Edited by [email protected]
Grammar

My take on the early season...Get out and hunt.

If you have a big buck on camera right now and think you may have him patterned then the time to kill him is now. I feel most people are reluctant to hunt big bucks until the rut but don't wait for the rut. The rut can be amazing. But... the rut takes us into some level of chaos. Right now is time to kill a patterned deer. That deer wont be easy to pattern during the rut like he might be now. I am not encouraging you to hunt your best rut stands for the sake of hunting. I'm talking hunting patterned bucks. I know a couple of hunters that thrive on this way of thought. Their goal is to be tagged out in October and they have done it many times. They diligently hunt single bucks. Their cameras go out May or June and they hunt with their cameras. The targets are bucks they know are in the area. They scout and try to pinpoint what that buck might be doing, they hang a stand and attempt to kill him. Look, if other spots are not showing you the bucks you want to see then you should probably stay out of there until "the time is right". But a big buck showing up in the daylight in early season is a very killable deer. I have a stand that is proving to be one of those spots. I have had 8 daylight camera visits (5 in the am and 3 in the pm). My plan is sit in this set every time the wind is right until the camera shows me otherwise. 

The other way to look at this is... Time has a huge influence on success and putting time on stand is going to help your chances. Think of two charter captains with equal skill set. Captain "a" puts in twice the amount of time as captain "b". At the end of the season, chance are, captain "a" catches more fish. I know it is not quite that simple but as long as we adapt our approach to the time of year. It may create opportunity. Once again dont "ruin" your best sets. Hang an observation stand and do some scouting. Adjust accordingly. Food is plentiful and the deer are taking advantage. It is a great time to sit on food sources.

No excuses. go hunt!

That's funny, because I am sitting here contemplating whether this little cold front that's moving In right now means I should be in a stand tonight. Each passing minute I'm leaning towards yes. Only have 1 mature buck that I know of on one of my properties that I have pics of. No clue where he coming from so dont want to blow it up. But I definitely think I need to be somewhere tonight, giving the forecast after tomorrow is bring some Serious heat in.

14 minutes ago, Legacy said:

My take on the early season...Get out and hunt.

If you have a big buck on camera right now and think you may have him patterned then the time to kill him is now. I feel most people are reluctant to hunt big bucks until the rut but don't wait for the rut. The rut can be amazing. But... the rut takes us into some level of chaos. Right now is time to kill a patterned deer. That deer wont be easy to pattern during the rut like he might be now. I am not encouraging you to hunt your best rut stands for the sake of hunting. I'm talking hunting patterned bucks. I know a couple of hunters that thrive on this way of thought. Their goal is to be tagged out in October and they have done it many times. They diligently hunt single bucks. Their cameras go out May or June and they hunt with their cameras. The targets are bucks they know are in the area. They scout and try to pinpoint what that buck might be doing, they hang a stand and attempt to kill him. Look, if other spots are not showing you the bucks you want to see then you should probably stay out of there until "the time is right". But a big buck showing up in the daylight in early season is a very killable deer. I have a stand that is proving to be one of those spots. I have had 8 daylight camera visits (5 in the am and 3 in the pm). My plan is sit in this set every time the wind is right until the camera shows me otherwise. 

The other way to look at this is... Time has a huge influence on success and putting time on stand is going to help your chances. Think of two charter captains with equal skill set. Captain "a" puts in twice the amount of time as captain "b". At the end of the season, chance are, captain "a" catches more fish. I know it is not quite that simple but as long as we adapt our approach to the time of year. It may create opportunity. Once again dont "ruin" your best sets. Hang an observation stand and do some scouting. Adjust accordingly. Food is plentiful and the deer are taking advantage. It is a great time to sit on food sources.

No excuses. go hunt!

I agree with the "go and hunt" philosophy. That being said, it's not just about putting time in....it's about putting quality time in. I have had a huge success in the past 4-5 years practicing low impact hunting techniques - that is hunting the trailing time after a cold front passes but staying out of the woods on low quality days such as 80 degrees and sunny I hunt low impact stands early on (i.e peripheral stands that do not require me to travel huge distances through my property and leave my scent all over the place), etc.

I hunt every day that I can be in the woods (probably 40 sits per year given my busy medical practice and family commitments) but I try and make every hunt a quality hunt. That being said, some of my hunts might not be the most optimal only b/c it might be the only day I have off from work, or the kids don't have a sporting event after school, so I can't be as choosey on some days.

You analogy on charter captains is a good one, but theoretically if Captain A puts in twice the amount of time he might not be guaranteed twice the success if his time is spent fishing in poor areas or choosing a suboptimal day to be out.

I can honestly say that it has made a huge difference in my success not only harvesting some beauties, but on the quality and quantity of deer that I'm seeing by trying to really practice low impact techniques.

I'm a big believer in Jeff Sturgis's readings who talks about this in depth.

Chris

No one would ever be foolish enough to argue the benefits of low impact hunting or the quality hunts vs quantity. We should all be invested students of both of these practices already. But that is a whole other discussion. My point was only to encourage everyone to go after those deer they have patterned. Early season is a great time for that (late season also). I have had a couple conversations as of late with guys stating they were waiting for "the rut" to go after "their" bucks. I asked them why they were waiting... The buck you are after is showing himself during the daylight and your not hunting him??? Neither really had an answer.

Most guys I know would kill for 20 days in the field let alone 30,40,50. There is nothing wrong with picking your days but so many pass on hunting in the early season even if they have the opportunity. The season goes fast. Get out and hunt!

• Like 2

Back on stand for the pm. The rain in the morning kept me grounded as I'm sure it did for most of you guys. High pressure is rolling in and the wind is slowing down a bit. Temp has dropped about ten degrees from the morning high. A bit warm in the sun and a bit breezy but tuck in a perfect spot for the conditions.

Tried to go in my favorite stand but wind was swirling. Moved to the bottom by the creek no acorns back here this yr so probably a waste of a sit. Drove a hour so its better than not hunting

Sent from my SM-N960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I had a different stand in mind tonight also but the wind had other ideas. It's forcasted as NW but it is a bit more west than it is north here. The wind is calming down nicely.