Legacy- 2018 Deer Season

Legacy

October 1
50 degrees
NE wind 5-15 mph
Cloudy Misty rainy

Opening day. A lot of deer on their feet this morning including a buck standing in my parking spot and i bumped two groups of deer on the walk in. Had something moving behind me this morning but never got a look at it with all the leaves on the trees. A bachelor group of five bucks kept me busy for an hour as they ate and sparred. Last deer of the day was a doe cutting through the corn headed to a know bedding spot. Rain started to get heavy just after 9 so I snuck out. Great to be back!

IMG_20181001_090234237.jpgIMG_20181001_090230394.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I am looking for some accurate knowledge of nuisance tags. I did my last round of camera checks last night with my 2 young boys. As we wrapped up in the woods and cam out around the orchard I was startled by a “hunter” posted up with a rifle pointing down the lane way. I know he was legal in his was but the safety of him shooting down the hill where I just came from was a big concern. How are nuisance tags handed out? Quantity, legal hours and dates of use? Can they use lights at night? Does the hunter need to be registered on the permit? Doe only? Any info is welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Permit valid under special conditions if applied: antlerless only, in crop fields and void when crop is final -harvested from 1/12-9/30 only. Standard conditions: permittee and agent are only ones to hunt Must have the permit in possession with carcass tag/s when hunting Shotgun or center for rifles only. Shooting hours 1/2 hr before sunset to 11:00pm. Use of artificial lights permitted after sunset. Not valid during open deer season. All other nys regs apply. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

October 1 pm
57 degrees
NE wind 5-10 mph
Overcast becoming rain at dusk

Highlight of the night was putting eyes on two shooters that I have on camera. "Curley" and "Damage" as they have been named we're on their feet at 545 this evening. They made their way around me about 70 yards out until they disappeared into the neighboring woods. 6-8 does around also.

IMG_20181001_170313863.jpg

Saw two does and a fawn tonight in 6G. Nothing with horns. Perfect wind out of the NE for a hedgerow stand along some standing corn. Couldnt pass up this girl at 18yds quartering away. Felt good to break in the new mathews triax.

IMG_0316.JPG

Edited by CK3080
  • Like 1

Saw two does and a fawn tonight in 6G. Nothing with horns. Perfect wind out of the NE for a hedgerow stand along some standing corn. Couldnt pass up this girl at 18yds quartering away. Felt good to break in the new mathews triax. IMG_0316.thumb.JPG.bfc684596a1d2863111a110a6015847a.JPG

Congrats!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Holy poison ivy Batman! New set tonight. Dry edge of the swamp. Mosquitoes and poison ivy every where. Deer already on their feet. A doe with two fawns making their way out of the hardwoods and a yearling buck in the middle of the field.IMG_20181002_170759762.jpg

Pretty slow evening hunt. A couple deer in the field but nothing by the stand. Pulled a card tonight that had zero deer pictures on it. Craziness.

Screenshot_20181002-181610.png

Nice temp drop Thursday night. Gonna be in a tree Friday evening. Preferably under some oaks. There hammering acorns around here. Apples, oats, peas, clover, and all my cam pics and fresh sign is on oak flats. Typical but makes me wonder why I don't have more stands on oaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

Just remember boys, try not to stink up your prime stands before the real action starts.   I've seen it happen many times, it can cost you.

Try to mix it up, use climbers and secondary stands early, wait that extra 15 minutes to climb down if you saw or heard a deer close by so they don't bust you climbing down, change up your stand approaches if at all possible.  It doesn't take long to get patterned, and once you do it hurts your odds a bit.

If you hunt in a place with lots of human activity it's probably not such a big deal, but don't underestimate the power of hunting a fresh stand on the perfect day in late Oct/early Nov.

And keep in mind, if you're targeting a mature buck, he's back in bed well before first light this time of year, your best bet is almost always catching him at last light getting antsy and rising from his bed before it's fully dark on a high pressure/cold day or just ahead of one.

Good luck and good hunting. Its finally here !

• Like 1