Re-powering Trophy ???

mullenj

I’ve noticed lots of Trophy owners on this site, so hoping for advice from anyone who has re-powered  aTrophy Pro 2002WA, or similar boat.  Mine is model year 2006, powered with 125hp Merc 2-stroke; reasonable good power and speed even here in Intracoastal waters (SC), but wish for better reliability, easier starting, quieter more efficient motor, etc.  I was considering going Evinrude e-tec, but very scarce with few dealers here on Carolina coast, so looking at 4-stroke 150hp from Merc.  Lots of Yamahas here, but some folks really like Suzuki’s 150hp 4-stroke also. Newest Merc seems to be lighter than yammy or zook, and my boat mechanic is a Merc dealer so that’s an advantage.  Would like to hear from anyone who has repowered this or similar trophy model with 4-stroke power. Thanks for looking!

I've owned 2 Trophy's in my time and currently have a Baha 252 GLE. All had outboards as I prefer them. My Baha has what I feel is probably the best motor for the money and I wouldn't trade them for the world. That said, I have twin Suzuki 140's on my Baha. They start instantly, run super quiet, sip gas and are easy to self maintain. They don't have all the bells and whistles my Merc Verado had but anytime there was an issue with that it was back to the dealer who usually couldn't fix it and then they would have to link in to Mercury and they would identify the problem. My Suzuki's are from 2008 and I've never had to take it back to the dealer once. When I researched the Suzuki's I was told they're 600hr motors. That's impressive if they last that long. I'll be dead and buried before those motors quit. I've been on Lake Ontario for 28 years and the last 2 years I'm seeing more and more Suzuki outboards. Prior to that I never saw any. I went to Maine on vacation last year and I'd say 1/3 of the boats were running Suzuki. As I said before, I wouldn't trade them for anything. I'm very happy with them.

Total Chaos

Max horsepower listed as 175.  I’m thinking of Merc 150hp 4-stroke since it weighs 455 lbs., vs. 367 for current Merc 2-stroke 125hp.  Stepping up to 175 means even more weight so that scares me, especially if going with heavier 4-stroke.  Also, I note that there would be a large increase in displacement going from current motor to the Merc 150 4-stroke, so thinking torque would be much improved, along with better reliability, etc.  

Any input appreciated!

It would seem to me that the availability of serviicing nearby would be high on my list of factors. Getting away from the 2 stroke oil injection stuff (reservoirs etc.) and increased efficiency, less noise and increased torque of a new 4 stroke would be up there as well. There are many mercs and dealers/mechanics out there all over the country, and sure not the same for some of the other motors - often have to travel far and I would wonder about the easy availability of parts as well. The easier time of fitting it into the existing system is also a plus. Just an opinion.:smile:

Edited by Sk8man

12 hours ago, mullenj said:

Max horsepower listed as 175.  I’m thinking of Merc 150hp 4-stroke since it weighs 455 lbs., vs. 367 for current Merc 2-stroke 125hp.  Stepping up to 175 means even more weight so that scares me, especially if going with heavier 4-stroke.  Also, I note that there would be a large increase in displacement going from current motor to the Merc 150 4-stroke, so thinking torque would be much improved, along with better reliability, etc.  

Any input appreciated!

The extra 90 pounds may throw your center of gravity farther backward more than you might like. It will be a bit harder to get up on plane. It may be a good idea to put some ballast up front in order to keep her balanced.

Edited by rolmops

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 150 Yamaha on a 19" striper and a 150 Merc on a triton. Both are great running motors and rock solid. I will say the Parts for the Merc are a bit cheaper and easier to obtain. Where I live Merc dealers are pretty common . Don't think you would regret either one . Good Luck !

I have a 1995 Trophy 20 foot walk around that had been repowered with a 2002 Mercury Optimax 135 by the previous owner. I repowered it to a Yamaha F150 4-stroke in 2017 and couldn't be happier.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've owned 2 Trophy's in my time and currently have a Baha 252 GLE. All had outboards as I prefer them. My Baha has what I feel is probably the best motor for the money and I wouldn't trade them for the world. That said, I have twin Suzuki 140's on my Baha. They start instantly, run super quiet, sip gas and are easy to self maintain. They don't have all the bells and whistles my Merc Verado had but anytime there was an issue with that it was back to the dealer who usually couldn't fix it and then they would have to link in to Mercury and they would identify the problem. My Suzuki's are from 2008 and I've never had to take it back to the dealer once. When I researched the Suzuki's I was told they're 600hr motors. That's impressive if they last that long. I'll be dead and buried before those motors quit. I've been on Lake Ontario for 28 years and the last 2 years I'm seeing more and more Suzuki outboards. Prior to that I never saw any. I went to Maine on vacation last year and I'd say 1/3 of the boats were running Suzuki. As I said before, I wouldn't trade them for anything. I'm very happy with them.
Total Chaos

That’s probably one hell of a boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app