Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bad Habit

MC rocket artificial Herring strip

Anyone try these? Interested if they produce like real herring even without the natural scent.

They definitely catch fish and are easy to use and keep on hand. I don't know how they'd fair in a head 2 head battle against real strips but I've done well with them. I think it's harder to get good hookups with them though. And I do add herring oil to them.

1 hour ago, Chowdaire said:

They definitely catch fish and are easy to use and keep on hand. I don't know how they'd fair in a head 2 head battle against real strips but I've done well with them. I think it's harder to get good hookups with them though. And I do add herring oil to them.

He pretty much nailed it, they def work and I have caught fish on them as well. If I had real meat I would run that well before I used the rockets though. Soco baits just came out with their own version of "articial meat" that looks good also.

I like real meat but it gets to be a pain to store and take back and forth to the boat. I was thinking this might  be an easier option I might try..

Not sure if any of you have tried the Brad’s Super Cut Plug but I ran one today for the first time. Loaded it up with herring oil and ran it 3’ behind a 10” spin doctor. Took a half dozen kings.

Just another option (and something to blow money on).

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

I like running them first light to take advantage of the glow and because I can pre-rig them to get them in the water quicker than real meat for that early, aggressive bite. Also, I find them easier to tune to get the perfect roll.

Keep an eye on the rod though or check it frequently. A short/missed strike will bend the rocket the opposite direction and ruin the roll. 

Dalmation and Frog are my favorite patterns.

What kind of scent do you use? Do you soak them in it, or just apply before use?
I've had pretty good luck with the rockets. I've caught fish with them every time I put them down but one so far.

Sent from my moto x4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I’ve tried applying gel scents and soaking them in oil. Both have worked so I can’t really say which is better.

What is herring oil and where do you get it?

Not sure if any of you have tried the Brad’s Super Cut Plug but I ran one today for the first time. Loaded it up with herring oil and ran it 3’ behind a 10” spin doctor. Took a half dozen kings.

Just another option (and something to blow money on).

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I just put several drops of scent in between the head and the MC Rocket.

What is herring oil and where do you get it?

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

There’s a few brands at most bait shops but I’m using Pro-Cure right now and having good luck with it.