Yellow fin tuna and such

rolmops

I'm leaving tomorrow for Hyannis (Cape Cod) and from there on to deep water about sixty to eighty miles off shore in the canyons. We are targeting Swordfish, Mahi Mahi and Yellow fin tuna. I hope to put up some mind boggling pics by Friday night

Trip was canceled . There are not enough participants. I switched to another trip on Monday and Tuesday. So now I will be fishing in Woods Hole on Saturday and Sunday for stripers ( not strippers) and then go off shore.

32 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

How many people does it take to run?

Interesting enough I'm on the cape this weekend

I believe that the minimum is something like 15.The rig leaves out of Hyannis. It is the Helen H a one hundred foot aluminum boat that goes fast enough to come up on plane. On Monday we are 16 people (so far) on an ultra limited (max 24 people) trip. I think the Weekend trip which has a limit of 30 people will be fishing.Their phone # is 1-508-790-0660. you can reach me on my cell at check your pm

So the trip was canceled for the third time in a row. Except, this time I got the cancellation call 400 miles east of Rochester on my way to Hyannis. This time,the captain canceled because of the weather that was brewing for Tuesday. The funny thing is that all the buoys in the area that we were supposed to fish showed waves no higher that 3.5 to 4 feet and the weather forecast for the fishing period was good specially for a hundred foot boat. I feel that the captain did not want to go out with a group that was just slightly larger than the minimal number required. I  really feel pissed off after paying a $113 down payment, reserving a hotel, traveling 400 miles and on top of that being threatened to have my car towed from the Helen H property when I came there to talk and clarify the situation. Oh did I mention the three days I took off from work? My feeling is that the company just blew off the paying customers and hid behind a storm that the captain conjured out of a clear blue sky. Unless they come up with a really good explanation and my money back , I will not use them again and I will file a complaint with the Cape Cod chamber of commerce, although I suspect that they will cover for their own people and not the customers.

Edited by rolmops

I called the company and they gave me my money back instantly. On top of that they gave me a very plausible explanation as to why the captain had decided to cancel the trip. In the process they also pinpointed the area where they fish and showed me the local weather report for that particular patch of the ocean. That convinced me that I will try again next year.

As for booking a private charter, I would love to, but given the price and the potential alternative use of that money just makes it unrealistic.

Might want to check out the folks in Gloucester Mass. A lot of good charter guys there and not $5,000 either.

The problem with those guys is that they hunt blue fin. So they allow you on their boat for a fee, let you catch the fish and then will not let you keep it

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

True Bill. I think I was "mind stuck" on Blue Fin:lol: my fishing for yellowfin has been in the pacific (California and Mexico)

Edited by Sk8man