RTIC Cooler for salmon..

I’m weighing the option of getting an RTIC cooler for the boat for next season. I don’t really know what size to go with. I fish the finger lakes a lot and Lake Ontario as much as I can. Was thinking the 110 which the bottom on the inside is 27 3/4” long inside but the 145 is 34 1/8” inside on the bottom. Unless anyone has any other brand suggestions. Thought rotomolded would be the best route. Any input is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I fish both the fingers and Ontario as well and have a 65. I dont think i would have room for a bigger cooler without taking up too much space in the boat but the 65 works great for finger lakes fish and ok for Ontario if you only put 1 or 2 salmon in it. If you have the room for it, i would go bigger.

IMG_6884.jpeg

I got the 145 rtic...It is heavy but if your just going to leave it there and not move it around that is not a big deal.  They usually run sales around black friday and christmas.  I think I paid 280ish for mine

Edited by wrinklestar

We use a 100qt Grizzly for tournament weigh ins. You wont get 12 big salmon in there, but at the Sodus Pro Am we were able to get a couple blocks of ice in it with 8 Salmon and 4 Brown Trout. If you primarily fish the FL's I'd say 100qt is plenty big enough. I just replaced my old Grizzly's this summer. They had 8 seasons on them and looked like the day I got them. 

https://www.grizzlycoolers.com/shop/hard-sided-coolers/grizzly-100/

I’m weighing the option of getting an RTIC cooler for the boat for next season. I don’t really know what size to go with. I fish the finger lakes a lot and Lake Ontario as much as I can. Was thinking the 110 which the bottom on the inside is 27 3/4” long inside but the 145 is 34 1/8” inside on the bottom. Unless anyone has any other brand suggestions. Thought rotomolded would be the best route. Any input is appreciated.

There’s also a 150 quart Igloo cooler available at Costco or B&J’s for about $60 which is about a third of the price of a Yeti. I have 2 of those in my 19 foot Islander strapped to the floor. One for ice, food and fish. The other for storage (usually empty). These 300 quarts also give me an additional equivalent of about 10 cubic feet of flotation material, which may come in handy.

On 9/17/2020 at 9:14 AM, rolmops said:

There’s also a 150 quart Igloo cooler available at Costco or B&J’s for about $60 which is about a third of the price of a Yeti. I have 2 of those in my 19 foot Islander strapped to the floor. One for ice, food and fish. The other for storage (usually empty). These 300 quarts also give me an additional equivalent of about 10 cubic feet of flotation material, which may come in handy.

I have one of these for parties at the house.  They are $60.00 for a reason.  They do not hold ice for long at all.  I have the Coleman MArine 150 qt cooler and it holds a lot longer.  It isn't as good as a Grizzly or a Yeti but it is way lighter and way cheaper!

17 hours ago, nygooseduster26 said:

I’m leaning towards the RTIC 145. Just need to see when they’ll go on sale or if they have any discount codes out there

They go on sale around black Friday and christmas but they are pretty established now the sales seem much less frequent than they used to be.