Henderson / Stony Creek 2021

I went out of Henderson last weekend, was in a 16’ alumacraft and was fine the water was to low to get through the cut into the main lake and was not able to get out to troll for browns. Boat was too small to go all the way around the islands. Ended up trolling around the harbor looking for whatever bites with no luck

Shakedown out of Stony creek Friday evening. It’s definitely shallow as mentioned. I have a trophy 1802. Buoys are in, but a couple knocked over/missing. I followed the tracks on my gps from previous trips and was fine.
Got lines in shortly out into the lake and headed south. Picked up a laker first, then an eye, then a brown. Also out Saturday 9:30ish-4:30ish. A big brown and 2 Lakers. IMG_0838.JPGIMG_0841.JPGIMG_6136.JPGIMG_0852.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, greenboatluke said:

Shakedown out of Stony creek Friday evening. It’s definitely shallow as mentioned. I have a trophy 1802. Buoys are in, but a couple knocked over/missing. I followed the tracks on my gps from previous trips and was fine.
Got lines in shortly out into the lake and headed south. Picked up a laker first, then an eye, then a brown. Also out Saturday 9:30ish-4:30ish. A big brown and 2 Lakers. IMG_0838.JPGIMG_0841.JPGIMG_6136.JPGIMG_0852.JPG

Thanks for the report!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went out for eyes today in the BRB. We went 2 for 3. Lost a monster. At one point while at the helm, I heard the pee can hit the deck and “fish on!” Ended up landing a D.O. fish! [emoji23] He did manage to tuck it while fighting the fish, so does it qualify? Not sure it matters! 🤣 Great to be out! IMG_6280.JPGIMG_6283.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

How low is the water level at Stony Creek, Henderson Harbor and other Jefferson County boat launches? Looking for a good place to launch a 22ft boat.

I haven't had my boat out yet this year due to a crazy work schedule.

IMO the best option is Henderson b/c it has the floating docks - but not sure how far you will have to back in (i.e. close to the drop off edge of the cement ramp). I can't speak to Jefferson County launch, but Sackets was OK for launching, but bring a freaking step ladder to get in and out of the boat at the wall.

• Like 1

Also, I swung by westcotts early May... floating dock was in (pic from May 1). Launch looked good. Didn’t use it though. Went out of Sackets, pulled the boat around the corner of the cement slabs to get in easier. Lol! IMG_6266.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, greenboatluke said:

Also, I swung by westcotts early May... floating dock was in (pic from May 1). Launch looked good. Didn’t use it though. Went out of Sackets, pulled the boat around the corner of the cement slabs to get in easier. Lol! IMG_6266.JPG

I worry about Wescotts opening to the lake. It's typically shallow, so low water would be even sketchier.

• Like 1

I worry about Wescotts opening to the lake. It's typically shallow, so low water would be even sketchier.

Agreed. You could walk on the jetty and look, it’s not far a walk. Know where the spit bar is... If it looks too sketchy, move on to Henderson, i mean if you’re passing it. The thing I like about westcott’s is you’re right into the bay quick and can put the throttle down. Anyway, I’ll try to check it Mem weekend.

• Like 2

It has been a few weeks since I went out of stony in my tin boat. I had the FF on the whole way out. The least amount of depth I saw was 1.5, but that was weeks ago. Never touched bottom though.

The dock? That was another story. I had the least mobile of the two of us climb into the boat before I splashed it, then I climbed down in after it was in, and then reversed the process on the way out.

I have not used it looked at Westcott launch. I would bet it's shallow getting out past the jetty's, but all sand.

On another note, I keep my 26' Shamrock at Harbors End in Henderson. The first time I took it out of there, I felt this weird vibration. Looked at the FF and again 1.5. Luckily, all sand. I was dragging the keel and chopping sand.

That was weeks ago, and the water has def come up some.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I haven't been on Lake O yet this year, and I'm not sure if I'll get out there with the water this low. I might have to pay a launch fee at a marina who has a good, deep enough launch and access to the lake. I won't take chances with damage to my motor or prop.

• Like 1