Unusual Condition off of Ibay

Hi Gang,

Went fishing yesterday and was in the 60-90 fow range east of the channel.  I came across acres and acres of the water column filled with weeds and sticks.  I don't recall ever seeing something like this.  I wonder if LO has had a repeat of what Canandaigua had.  I did manage 4 fish and one hit that really ripped on my leadcore off my outrigger but no one home.   Anyhoot, just beware if you are fishing there...avoid it.  I've had to pick weeds and sticks etc. off my rigger wires and fishing lines.  Unfortunately, there's nothing indicated on the surface depicting you are approaching it until it's too late.  One positive, I did see some nice schools of bait.

Tight lines,

Bob

image.thumb.png.f337e6885129f46361de682dbb882f50.png

X2. Debris fields are visual “tells” that indicate an area of current wadded up a bunch of stuff and shoved it up against the bank. Bait and plankton gets pushed by those same currents. As stated, if debris is too thick, fish the edges. If just feathers and driftwood, go through it. Usually fish are up high and feeding in those areas

Cpt Dan Keating addresses this phenomenon in his books  along shore currents can pile up debris, out in deep water it usually means warm and cold water stack up and form the line usually along an upwelling of cold water ( warm and cold don’t mix well ). That’s why you can see the thermocline on your sonar. Debris sinks to the place where the temps meet and become visible on the screen  think of this as a vertical thermocline. Have seen it many times 

I saw the same thing yesterday off I-Bay.  I didn't see it on my way out but went through it trolling south a couple of hours later. I turned to head back north to get out of it and watched the temp. I had my probe at 65' and I didn't see any temp difference on the probe or the surface when I came out of it. I did have to pull all six rods and clean the grass off the line, cables, wire, and lead core. They were loaded!!! 

Bad Habit,

I know a scum line when I see it.  There was no cold water meeting warm water.  Also, the scum line is usually visual on the surface. This was not that for all the reasons you listed.   Hoping this is not our new reality going forward.

Bob 

It has been raining like crap in a lot of places and some seemingly harmless streams can create havoc when that much rain comes down ion a short time and the result can be miles from origin quite quickly and pile up.

Sk8man nailed it some of my local creeks have washed out higher than I have ever Seen recently and those flows can ball up all sorts of crap worth checking out as it can pull bait In but not worth working hard good areas to work with aggressive tactics to find the "spot on the spot"  a washed out creek dumping debris for a day can create miles of this set up

Thanks, Guys.  I think between the large rains causing washouts and weeds being cut in surrounding bays, we possibly found the answer to the cause of this.   I was out last Saturday in the same zone, I was still seeing some but nowhere near the intensity of it when I first encountered it.  Hopefully, this is behind us going forward, at least this year!