Legacy -The 2023 Deer Season-

Legacy

1 hour ago, Legacy said:

8 different bucks on camera since 430 am this morning (630 now). 1 mature, 2 2.5 year olds, and a pile of first racks. Weather conditions look great this am! Good luck out there.

update... Its 730 now

12 different bucks on camera since 430 am this morning (730 now). 2 mature, 3 2.5 year olds, and a pile of first racks. Does have been almost nonexistent on camera. Im guessing 50% on food and 50% deep in hiding 

2 hours ago, Legacy said:

update... Its 730 now

12 different bucks on camera since 430 am this morning (730 now). 2 mature, 3 2.5 year olds, and a pile of first racks. Does have been almost nonexistent on camera. Im guessing 50% on food and 50% deep in hiding 

Always interesting the difference area to area…. yesterday it was like that for me in northern Livingston county..   most of the bigger bucks during daylight hours..   this morning just doe and small bucks..

Haven't seen him since his velvet came off till this Monday when he showed up on my camera looking at my mock scrape at 1230pm. I couldnt hunt Monday but made plans to hunt afterwork Tuesday on till either I got my shot or he stopped showing up on my cameras

Tuesday I got in my stand at 430 and didnt see any deer till about 6pm when I heard a buck grunting and pushing a doe around. I couldnt see bodies just legs through all the beech trees. They never came where I could see them.   Just as I pulled into my apartment complex I got a pic of him in my mock scrape again. It was about an hour after dark so I knew he was still in there!

Wednesday I got in my stand alittle later around 440 and there was actions right away.  I tried to set up my video camera but a screw fell out of the head so I couldnt use it.  I filmed a couple smaller bucks including a nice 2.5yr old 9pt and some does by hand held.  About 5 mins after 2 does came thru I heard grunting from behind me.  The buck circled me but I couldnt see it just heard the grunts.  Finally I saw him walking to my mock scrape gave him a couple grunts and he turned my way.  He walked right into 12yrds where I put a g5 montec through his heart. He piled up 75yrds away!

This took place on 15 acres in Genesee county that I have permission to hunt.  Its my 2nd mature buck in 3 yrs off that property.  The key is to not over hunt it and wait till they show up on camera.  Every buck in those woods hits my mock scrape at 1 time or another every season. 

image_1000001888.jpg

• Like 15

Haven't seen him since his velvet came off till this Monday when he showed up on my camera looking at my mock scrape at 1230pm. I couldnt hunt Monday but made plans to hunt afterwork Tuesday on till either I got my shot or he stopped showing up on my cameras

Tuesday I got in my stand at 430 and didnt see any deer till about 6pm when I heard a buck grunting and pushing a doe around. I couldnt see bodies just legs through all the beech trees. They never came where I could see them.   Just as I pulled into my apartment complex I got a pic of him in my mock scrape again. It was about an hour after dark so I knew he was still in there!

Wednesday I got in my stand alittle later around 440 and there was actions right away.  I tried to set up my video camera but a screw fell out of the head so I couldnt use it.  I filmed a couple smaller bucks including a nice 2.5yr old 9pt and some does by hand held.  About 5 mins after 2 does came thru I heard grunting from behind me.  The buck circled me but I couldnt see it just heard the grunts.  Finally I saw him walking to my mock scrape gave him a couple grunts and he turned my way.  He walked right into 12yrds where I put a g5 montec through his heart. He piled up 75yrds away!

This took place on 15 acres in Genesee county that I have permission to hunt.  Its my 2nd mature buck in 3 yrs off that property.  The key is to not over hunt it and wait till they show up on camera.  Every buck in those woods hits my mock scrape at 1 time or another every season. 

1 hour ago, bondouley said:

image_1000001888.jpg

Wow!!!   How wide is he?   Very well done!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bondouley said:

image_1000001888.jpg

Congratulations!!!! Beast 

Well yesterday morning I had some incredible buck movement. It started about 430 and went until about 900. Its a guess but 12-15 different bucks including 2 matures. 

Today... crickets. Overall some decent movement overnight but no sign of the buck movement like 24 hours ago. Curious to see what early morning brings.

1 hour ago, Legacy said:

10 different bucks from 647-837 so apparently they waited to move until daylight. Mostly first racks. 

My cameras have been on fire this morning with cruising bucks. 7 more bucks since 845 with 2 matures showing up.