Winter Battery Storage

Mikeyman104

What does everyone do with their batteries during winter? I usually charge them, pull them off the boat, and then store them in my basement.

However, was talking to my buddy and he mentioned that he charges them and then just leaves them on the boat all winter. No trickle charger or anything, and his thought is that as long as it's charged it shouldn't freeze. 

I have 3 (2 for trolling motor and 1 starter) batteries on my boat so not looking forward to pulling them off, but that's cheaper than buying new ones. 

he's correct,  as long as they stay charged they won't freeze,   buut what if they do loose charge and go dead,  then they will freeze,   i always have done like you,  put them in the basement,   i record state of charge,   and have just put a top off on them in the spring.   but i like to keep an eye on them. 

Not a big fan of leaving batteries in boat . Two storage facilities recently have gone up in smoke because of that . One in Toledo that was in the multi multi millions damage wise and one in Tonawanda that  didn't approach that number but multiple boats were destroyed. As far as leaving them on the cement floor or wood , doesn't matter , decades ago it did , but not now with the way they are made . Are you lazy and just want to leave them there or do you want to take the time and do it right ? I'll take the time and remove the 8 batteries I have in two boats . No fire for me ,thank you . 

I leave mine in until we get a warmish day in December.  Then I start both my main and kicker and run them until they are up to temp.  At that point I yank the batteries and leave them inside for the rest of the winter.  I like the idea of cutting down on the time my engines arent used an Im guaranteed to start the season without any surprises. This also forces me to inspect everything and make sure there are no issues with mice, water etc.  

I pull both batteries and store them in my garage. I usually put the charger on them a couple times during the winter just because it's easy.

I use this charger. Doesn't take a college degree. 

AIMTOM Smart Battery Charger 4 Amp 6/12V Fully Automatic Maintainer 8-Stage Charging Process for Car, Truck, Motorcycle, Boat, RV, SUV, ATV Fits SLA, Wet, MF, Gel, VRLA, AGM, EFB, Lion Batteries

Like mentioned already I disconnect the neg from the battery and charge it fully before the temps drop below 32 deg. Leave them in the boat in my non heated garage and go out a couple times during the winter and charge them. If the battery is good they will not lose much in a couple months. My batterys always last way longer than they are rated for.

Edited by spoonfed-1

I pull mine out of boat when putting it up for winter and store it inside house next to side door, in the battery case which I know is dry.  I found out years ago that if you store it in damp basement on concrete (even if on wood) it'll discharge itself pretty quick.

My battery storage method in cold Canada is to pull them all out of the boats and charge them all one final time inside the insulated cottage upon a swimming float mat. The plastic in the mat keeps the batteries warm all winter. Then I cover the terminals with dialectic grease and the whole battery with a garbage bag. Dust on your terminals is your enemy.  Periodically I check the batteries fluid and charge them thru the winter. Come spring my engines all start . (I also change all the oils every fall whether they need it every fall and fill the gas tanks with premium and Sea Foam to fight condensation.) It can be time consuming but the system works! 

I used to pull the back of the boat apart to get the batteries out two of them now that I'm an old man I leave them in I don't disconnect nothing they're on a battery switch and I plugged it on board battery charger in all winter charger comes down when it needs to the batteries were factory made in 2013 just completed another season