Jump to content

Okuma Magda pro 30 reel drag issue


Recommended Posts

My okuma Magda pro 30 has zero resistance for drag.  The reel is about 10 years old.  Is the fix likely just changing the drag washers?  Or other fix needed?

 

Hopefully I provided enough info to describe problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, DWHJR said:

My okuma Magda pro 30 has zero resistance for drag.  The reel is about 10 years old.  Is the fix likely just changing the drag washers?  Or other fix needed?

 

Hopefully I provided enough info to describe problem.

Okuma Magdas are throw away reels.  I would buy something else instead of putting money into a low end reel.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, DWHJR said:

My okuma Magda pro 30 has zero resistance for drag.  The reel is about 10 years old.  Is the fix likely just changing the drag washers?  Or other fix needed?

 

Hopefully I provided enough info to describe problem.

 

Contact Rochester Reel Repair https://www.facebook.com/RochesterReelRepair

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

it doesn't hurt to upgrade the drags to start with. if you leave the drag tight when it's stored the washers are fixed at the position so you have no more adjustment on the drag. you should back the drags all the way off and let them set for a few days and then check them. for future reference when you are done fishing for the trip always back the drags all the way off for storage.

 

I don't intend to offend you but like said above the Magda pro reels are the bottom of the list. you really should think about an upgrade. even if you replace 1 or 2 at a time you will be much better off.

 

a convertor 30 is much better or a Daiwa accudepth plus 47, or Daiwa sealine sg47lc3b are all better choices. I walleye fish in the central basin of Erie and use small reels. I used the old accudepth plus 17lc for years and never had one fail me. but upgraded part of them with the old sealine sg17lca which serves me well. I upgraded part of them with the sealine sglc3b. then when I lost a couple of the old LCA reels I upgraded them with the Okuma Coldwater 203 reels. I love the coldwater reels they are the smoothest of the lot and the drags are great. but I've only used them for 2 week long trips to Erie. so I haven't used them enough to recommend them without adding a little salt. 10 years or more down the road then I will be able to say for sure.

 

new washers should cure your problem. but you will still be using Magda reels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, sherman brown said:

it doesn't hurt to upgrade the drags to start with. if you leave the drag tight when it's stored the washers are fixed at the position so you have no more adjustment on the drag. you should back the drags all the way off and let them set for a few days and then check them. for future reference when you are done fishing for the trip always back the drags all the way off for storage.

 

I don't intend to offend you but like said above the Magda pro reels are the bottom of the list. you really should think about an upgrade. even if you replace 1 or 2 at a time you will be much better off.

 

a convertor 30 is much better or a Daiwa accudepth plus 47, or Daiwa sealine sg47lc3b are all better choices. I walleye fish in the central basin of Erie and use small reels. I used the old accudepth plus 17lc for years and never had one fail me. but upgraded part of them with the old sealine sg17lca which serves me well. I upgraded part of them with the sealine sglc3b. then when I lost a couple of the old LCA reels I upgraded them with the Okuma Coldwater 203 reels. I love the coldwater reels they are the smoothest of the lot and the drags are great. but I've only used them for 2 week long trips to Erie. so I haven't used them enough to recommend them without adding a little salt. 10 years or more down the road then I will be able to say for sure.

 

new washers should cure your problem. but you will still be using Magda reels.

I really have trouble understanding why anyone would buy a reel that needs a drag upgrade new out of the box.  I wouldn’t buy a new truck that needed a better transmission so it worked right.  Buy quality reels to begin with and be done with it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you all for your feedback.  The reels have been good to me.  I have had them for ten years.  I bought them originally for lakers on finger lakes when I lived in horseheads.  They have served me well the last 4-5 years since I have lived in Rochester.  I have already ordered Daiwa saltist to replace. I will take apart the Magda as a learning experience and/or have Brian take a look to see if the Magda is a quick fix to be kept as a backup.  At the end of the day, it is time to upgrade

my reels to my level of experience.  The Magdas did what they were intended for as an introduction to this fun, addictive, and expensive sport.  Thanks again to those that responded.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 6/9/2024 at 3:53 PM, DWHJR said:

Thank you all for your feedback.  The reels have been good to me.  I have had them for ten years.  I bought them originally for lakers on finger lakes when I lived in horseheads.  They have served me well the last 4-5 years since I have lived in Rochester.  I have already ordered Daiwa saltist to replace. I will take apart the Magda as a learning experience and/or have Brian take a look to see if the Magda is a quick fix to be kept as a backup.  At the end of the day, it is time to upgrade

my reels to my level of experience.  The Magdas did what they were intended for as an introduction to this fun, addictive, and expensive sport.  Thanks again to those that responded.

:yes: Originally when I started started big water fishing about 30 yrs ago I started with magdas. Thats what I could afford at the time. They worked fine on the Finger Lakes and when I moved up to the big lake and started chasing 20+ lb Kings the drags were sticky but worked except for wire rods. I was in a position at that point to get better reels and I upgraded to Shimano Tekotas and never looked back. You need better quality gear for chasing Kings than you need on the Fingers. That said the Magdas will work and have resulted in the death of many salmon on my boat during the first couple years.  You have a great idea with upgrading the drags on your own as you really don't have much to lose. There are videos on this on youtube to give you some guidance. Best of luck.:yes:

Edited by spoonfed-1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

I really have trouble understanding why anyone would buy a reel that needs a drag upgrade new out of the box.  I wouldn’t buy a new truck that needed a better transmission so it worked right.  Buy quality reels to begin with and be done with it.  

Brian, what would you recommend now? I own a few old Tekotas in the 600 size but would like to buy a few smaller reels for browns and landlocks. I've killed a few conventors in the 20 size so upgraded to the coldwater and killed one brown fishing this spring. I haven't heard anything good about the new Tekotas, any thoughts? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, dry net said:

Brian, what would you recommend now? I own a few old Tekotas in the 600 size but would like to buy a few smaller reels for browns and landlocks. I've killed a few conventors in the 20 size so upgraded to the coldwater and killed one brown fishing this spring. I haven't heard anything good about the new Tekotas, any thoughts? 

I run the original Saltists.  They are bullet proof, superior drags, 6.1:1 gear ratio and great drag adjustability.  The line counter placement is a pain for some but it doesn't bother me at all.  I have had them since they first came out and only replaced one drag clicker in years of use.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

I run the original Saltists.  They are bullet proof, superior drags, 6.1:1 gear ratio and great drag adjustability.  The line counter placement is a pain for some but it doesn't bother me at all.  I have had them since they first came out and only replaced one drag clicker in years of use.  

Have you got to use the new Saltists?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, dry net said:

Have you got to use the new Saltists?

I have not.  I have heard from some captains that they are good but not as bullet proof as the originals.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought a couple of the new saltists to try out this year. Only used them 4 or 5 times so far but they have been awesome.  I will report back at the end of the season 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a Cabalas freeze up on my son while we had a big king on a braid dipsey . The reel locked  up solid with 400 ft of line out. Couldn't reel  it in . 

 

I  hand lined a wrapped the line around a rod holder , took 15 min to land the fish 

 

 I took the reel apart and cleaned out the hardened grease and lubed it and it works fine now . It prompted me to clean a lot of my reels . I bought an Ardent reel lube kit from Runnings and did I think 45 reels last winter . It made a big difference and wasn't hard . That's might be all it needs . 

 

I have one Magda same as yours  for a braid dipsey . Landed and awful  lot of kings on it . I like it . 

 

You don't need the best of everything to catch these fish. There are some mid grade reels that are fine.  

Edited by HB2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So you will overhaul 7 reels for 80$

 

New decent reels are 100$ each 

 

If the drags are even better than they were previously , there is a lot of value in doing it . While you have them apart , clean and lube them and you will be good for another 10k miles . 

 

Let us know the difference when done after a big 👑 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...