Why 3 riggers?

I'm old school and have had a 4 rigger spread forever, and still do. The last few years many boats have opted for a 3 rigger set up. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning but would like to hear others thoughts. I've heard some say that since they run more junk rods these days, it keeps them in their rod limit. With the advent of 3 rods/person, it seems like that is less of a concern.

I guess the real question is do you believe you catch more fish with 3 riggers than 4?

I too went to 3 riggers this season. My 4th rigger always sat and did not get used. My boat does not have a large beam and 4 riggers was ok but with slip in the wind and rough seas, it was more of a hassle. I run a 3 rigger rod, 4 wire diver and 2 copper set with 3 or 4 guys. If it is 2, I run 3 riggers, 2 wires and 1 copper to start and let the fish tell me what rods are the active ones for the day.

3 seems a good fit. I have a 10ft beam and 4 foot arms on my side riggers. Puts my side riggers about 17 feet apart with the center rigger splitting the difference. I don't get tangles and have plenty of room in the chute for fiesty fish. I can swing the center rigger 45 or 90 degrees and have the entire chute for netting. I've a 4th rigger but, it only ever gets used as a rod holder or a back up. 4 riggers are OK with spoons but, I'm not smitten by them with flasher/Fly or J-plugs. Chance of tangling things goes up and I've not seen a change in my catch rate. Oh, I should add that I have a tuna door where a back rigger would mount which means the back rigger on that side needed to move more towards the center. I'm sure there are lots of guys who would look at my beam and decide on 5 riggers but, 3 works great for me. 3 riggers, 2 dipsies and 4 junk lines cover a 3-man spread and give me all the lines I need.

My buddy was running 4 riggers on an 8 foot beam and finally switched it to 3 this year and is much happier.

Eventhough I have four riggers on my boat, I usually only run three. Seems these days that less is more and less tight rigger spreads and some junk lines put more fish in the boat. I think it's better to have productive rods out than putting the legal limit in the water. How the back of your boat is setup makes a difference too.