Rainbow day on Canandaigua

I got a real late start today 9:30 AM and then BS'd with friends at the launch and then trolled south from the pump station with 2 TX 44 boards and dipseys one at 180 the other at 200 out and a wire rig with dipsey and white flasher and green fly out 225 on 2 1/2 ...only caught one dink rainbow in the AM. but the afternoon was pure rainbow heaven...Instead of the west side I trolled the middle of the lake (200 plus ft)  towards the south on a diagonal toward the east and in 205 ft. I had my first decent bow on at 50 ft down on the rigger with a gold/orange  Rebel....slider with Sutton untouched...fought hard and jumped repeatedly 4 lb rainbow...released after pic in water. Trolled on....another release on 52ft rigger same lure 4- 5 lb. bow. got into the wire rig and then hooks got tangled in the net..(only way I could control him.... fishing alone..). It took awhile getting the hook out of him and the net so I knew he wouldn't make it so I boxed him. Continued on....a few minutes later the wire rig with a black mag dipsey and purplish red/silver flasher and one of my "old time" rubber "skirts" rigged like a fly that I just wanted to see if anything would hit the rig started screaming out taking line like a king. The wind was starting to come up out of the north and I was going against it trying to steer the boat while dealing with the fish which was jumping then next heading for the bottom taking line each time...I knew it was areal good one and when I got him closer to the boat I got a good look and I've seen enough of these guys to know when I have a10 pounder plus and well over 30 inches long..beautiful fish and had some nice reddish color down the mid line I tried to get a pic but when I was opening the camera case (velcroed) with one hand and the other with the rod he flipped over it spit the hook and headed for the bottom and all I could say was "f" but I was going to release it anyway so she saved me the trouble. Trolled on and the 52 downrigger went again another bow about 3-4 lbs...released unharmed. A few yards after that fish was released the other rigger popped and another one taking line like there was no tomorrow...boat got turned around in the wind but I held on and went with it and got him in another 4-5 lb rainbow...released. It was 4 Pm so I decided to call it quits....beautiful day on the pond. All bows came over 190 -210 ft of water by the way. I asked a couple of folks at the ramp if they wanted the rainbow and they said "no thanks" so I drove out to the pier where I had seen people fishing and asked a guy and his girlfriend who didn't have any fish if they 'd like a rainbow. They were jumping for joy....I had them take my pic with it and then gave it to them.  We were all "happy campers" :) I included a pic for any "leaf peepers" out there (taken before the wind came up) :lol:

Les

P.S. Here is what the big one and one of the others hit :lol:

post-145411-0-04347900-1381449547_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-27988500-1381449558_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-18050800-1381449569_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-28296000-1381452379_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Way to go les awesome awesome have to love those 10+ I was fortunate last year on Seneca and got 2 have been unable to break 10 this year reading all your reports, are really starting to make me look forward to my trip out their at the end of the month! How much longer will you be on the water ways this season

making me debate this sunday if i wanna take one last trip to the genny for kings or if wanna try canandagia finally i did watkins glen last winter and it was rewarding. so i'm looking forward to winter fishing on the chosen spot this year just dont know if i wanna start this weekend or in three weeks on my next trip

Thanks Joe...I'm hoping to keep after them until about the 1st week or 2nd week in November. 

Tx Lineman....I hear you on the perch we went yesterday but couldn't find the jumbos here on Canandaigua....settled for about 25 keepers (10-11 inches or so) and threw back 4 or 5 times that many dinks  mostly on minnows , a few on crabs and about 1/3 on rubber. Beautiful day.

Thanks Nautitroller....it does seem to be a good combo right now (O/G)

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks Kev. You've gotta get your butt out there soon bud....probably up late nights on the piers...and then there is work ....but there are some big bows with your name on them out there :lol:  Les

Great story Les and thanks for the report! Seems like you do your best work solo! I had to work all day, but at least I was outside to enjoy the perfect weather today. I gotta get out for at least another troll or two, all this night fishing Ive been doing has been awesome, but I miss fishing in the light when you can really take it all in! The pic of the shoreline is beautiful!

justin

Way to go Les. nice report & pics. I really like those that post pictures, makes one wonder how the big guy in the sky could make such beautiful fish, especially those trout the rainbows, and brown they are my favorite to look at. those big nasty looking pike are cool also, the walleye is interesting fish to see and much better on the dinner plate!! keep after them gives me something worthy to read and look at.

Thanks guys. ..... and in the interest off honesty I don't think I'd be quite as generous giving one of Justin's  walleyes away :lol:

Hey Mike hopefully the bow fishing will hold up for your tournament....they sure are active right now. I forgot to mention that one of the 4 pounders streaked right up from 72 ft. and grabbed tht 50 ft. downrigger lure....it was a "classic" kinda like watching perch on the Vexilar flasher zoom come up to the jig and then hit it while ice fishing.

Better get out here while they are active Sean....work can always wait :lol:

It just dawned on me while writing this how great it is being able to share our experiences and "good days" with each other ....folks who actually understand our sport and get "into" the details....this may  contrast sharply with the experience of coming home and telling our spouses who may respond with "That's nice dear" or kids that may say " Sweet....can I borrow the car keys" and we're left scratching our head. Thank heaven for the LOU website :lol:  Les

Edited by Sk8man

It just dawned on me while writing this how great it is being able to share our experiences and "good days" with each other ....folks who actually understand our sport and get "into" the details....this may  contrast sharply with the experience of coming home and telling our spouses who may respond with "That's nice dear" or kids that may say " Sweet....can I borrow the car keys" and we're left scratching our head. Thank heaven for the LOU website :lol:  Les

Nice Les have a good rest of season !!!!!

A big :yes:  :yes:  :yes:  to you for your reports GOOD and NOT so good......some that don't report don't understand they are hurting them selves more than anyone........ I have gain more info from writing down what I did right that worked and looking back on what I did the day it didn't work......

I give away a portion of my better catches all summer to the Dan the owner of Otisco Lake Campground and a couple of seasonal campers Im friends with, and of course anyone who comes on the boat leaves with fillets if they want.  Id give away all the trout, but not the salmon!  Ill bet Tim still has plenty of brown trout...lol!  I don't hate the trout, but Tracy wont eat it and compared to walleye its not tablefare.  My dogs even prefer walleye :P .  I cook up all the dark meat I trim off and give it to the dogs.   The fish oil content in the dark meat is very high and keeps their coats shiny and healthy, 

justin

Ed you get it for sure...putting your thoughts down and giving yourself an online triplog as well as helping others will make you a better fisherman. Every trip I post makes me think of what I could have done different or better. Plus and most importantly for newbies is that consistent posting gives us a chance to get to know them a bit and gives them credibility on the site. Next thing they know they are getting more help and offers to fish with more experienced fishermen and the learning begins! PLEASE POST EVERYONE. Thanks Sk8man for a whole season of regular posts for all of us to enjoy and learn from!

Justin

Thanks Ed and Justin (and all the rest out there that share info and especially all the Finger Lakes dudes :>)...I always look forward to your reports and learn from them too. We each kinda have our "specialties "that dial into our target species and it really is helpful to share that info instead of past practices of people keeping things to themselves. and "guarding" the info ...I can see it with the charter guys and guides to a degree...but most of them are also very open these days as well and that says a lot for them as well as the sport itself.