Slide Diver Lite Bite

Nessmuk

While at the LOTSA show I saw a booth with Slide Diver Light Bite divers.  Just wondering if anyone uses these and how they compare to Dipsys.     The fact that the leader can be longer than with a Dipsy caught my attention.

Thoughts, insight?

I use the slide divers for browns and high fish when temp is up high.  It is nice to have the option to run long leads off the divers.  I ended up buying 2 rod and reel combos dedicated to slide divers. 

since they slide up and down the line to a certain stopping point, how do you let out the appropriate leader length and then still manage to 'lock' it in place to run? seems like you need two people to set a rod but I must be not visioning it clearly?

They lock down on the line and hold the position you set them at.  They hold the position by a piece of surgical tubing on the diver that the line goes through.  You let out your desired lead and lock it in.  I reset the line counter and set it out the distance I want.  It is not as complicated as it sounds.  Look on Youtube for a video.  I watched one on slide divers a couple years ago. 

I was talking to the guy at the show & told him I like to use the slide diver once in a while & it works when nothing else will ;I to have on rod w/ braid & a 25 ' 20# tippet .

Told him I won it as a door prize many years ago & it is  pink /purple. He said that color was never released to the market & some probably were sent out for promotional .

The charts are for an idea only IMO. speed,what you have on etc. affect depth. Just throw it out on a 2.5 setting if the fish are down say 50' ,start it at 80 & let it click out slowly till you bang bottom or hook up . Don't try & get to exact w/ it. I think thats part of the attraction of them & makes them so good .

I have 2 set up with braid on 9' rods. Typically run them outside my wire mag divers with spoons. We clip them with a safety pin to the rod tip guide to let the line out outside the mag diver lines, then once the lead length desired is reached I take off the safety pin, engage the diver and let out my desired amount of depth line.

I have bumped bottom on various occasions and never had any cut loose. One time I was in the middle of fighting a fish by myself and probably bounced it off the bottom a good 30 times until I was able to steer the boat to deeper water. I wouldn't recommend it but the fish I had in its the king in my Sig and would have been well worth losing that diver and setup.

Sent from my thinking chair...

Edited by Chas0218