Sign The Petition to Support Senator Nozzolio's Legislation, S.5626

BSmaster

I signed it despite the fact that I don't agree with the part he want's to keep intact.  I respect the work our first responders do as much as anybody, but I disagree that we should set up ANY group of people as a special protected class for whom killing them carriers a stiffer penalty than anyone else.

Great link BS. Thanks for posting, I'll pass it on. P.S. Tim you've obviously never volunteered or served as a first responder. Nothing displeases me more than people who feel the need to validate their opinion by saying "with all do respect"- because what follows rarely employs any RESPECT at all... A salute to all those who serve their communities- especially volunteers who risk life and limb to help others expecting nothing but this type contempt in return.   

Edited by wnyfisherman

Great link BS. Thanks for posting, I'll pass it on. P.S. Tim you've obviously never volunteered or served as a first responder. Nothing displeases me more than people who feel the need to validate their opinion by saying "with all do respect"- because what follows rarely employs any RESPECT at all... A salute to all those who serve their communities- especially volunteers who risk life and limb to help others expecting nothing but this type contempt in return.   

**deleted smart ass comment**

Edited by Tim Bromund

OK Look, I wasn't trying to be offensive or disrespectful.  I have many friends that are police and firefighters and I have the utmost respect for those that put their lives on the line to keep us all safe, Heck one of my best friends growing up's father was the Commissioner of our local Volunteer Fire Company.  My point is that this is America, all citizens need to be treated equally under the law.  I don't believe that ANYONE, regardless of what they do, should be set up as a special class of citizen, for whom THEIR murder is treated more severely than anyone else. 

As a hypothetical, if say, your mother (heaven forbid) was murdered, would you want the maximum penalty assigned to the criminal scumbag that perpetrated the crime, or would you be OK with the sentence being less for her killer because she wasn't a first responder?

As I said, I have many friends that are first responders and the vast majority of them agree with me on this point.

you can agree or not, that's up to you.

Peace,

Tim

but I disagree that we should set up ANY group of people as a special protected class for whom killing them carriers a stiffer penalty than anyone else.

I don't believe that the law is intended to protect a certain CLASS of person at all. Like laws pertaining to crimes against victims of diminished capacity or infancy (mental ability/age), it merely sets up provisions to further punish criminals for targeting vulnerable people. Even in war where society has accepted soldiers killing soldiers, it is a criminal offense to target medics giving aid. I believe it is moral issue that makes it a touchy subject. So, I apologize Tim, but I believe if my mother was murdered and the coward who lie in wait shoots an emt rendering her aid, does deserve greater consequences.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I've signed those petitions but I also feel that the death penalty itself should be reinstated for capital offenses and that this provision will have absolutely no impact on preventing a lunatic from firing at first responders because most of them intend to kill themselves or attempt "suicide by cop" anyway....the only person it will "inhibit" is the person caught alive afterward who might do it again.

Edited by Sk8man

Laws , Laws , Laws. Last time I checked, murder was  against the law.

Enforce the laws on the books. These Senators bring up bills to add more laws to make you feel better & vote for them.

Don't be a  chump  & fall for it.

Reinstate the death penalty  and FOLLOW THRU for a good start. Bring that bill  up.