Legacy- 2014 Deer Woods

Legacy

Havent heard a shot here yet!! Or seen a deer lol. But did manage to shoot a doe last evening with my a/r! .223 150yds did a number on her big exit hole and dropped her!

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-144765-14170940217554_thumb.jpg

Yesterday was a good morning for me despite a little screw up on my part. The woods was crawling with deer. Around 9am, two bucks started walking down the main trail through the middle of the woods (a nice eight and a five point). I took my eyes off of them to stand up and move to get in a comfy shooting position. The eight point was in the front when I took my eyes off of them. I figured the eight was still the lead buck (could not see either deers rack at his point) and shot the lead deer. Unfortunately, they had moved and traded positions! When the eight popped his head up and ran off, my heart sunk! The positive, it was a fifty yard run and the five point was done. I saw a couple other small bucks and some doe before this all went down.

Edited by GAMBLER

Yesterday was a good morning for me despite a little screw up on my part. The woods was crawling with deer. Around 9am, two bucks started walking down the main trail through the middle of the woods (a nice eight and a five point). I took my eyes off of them to stand up and move to get in a comfy shooting position. The eight point was in the front when I took my eyes off of them. I figured the eight was still the lead buck (could not see either deers rack at his point) and shot the lead deer. Unfortunately, they had moved and traded positions! When the eight popped his head up and ran off, my heart sunk! The positive, it was a fifty yard run and the five point was done. I saw a couple other small bucks and some doe before this all went down.

my uncle did that in Idaho once about a 150 inch 10 pointer walked into a hedgerow we were hunting so he shot the buck that came out and it was a 110 inch 8 pointer.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Do you hear that? Yeah me neither. Thats what the woods sounds like as the rut activity grinds to a halt. 

Time to switch tactics. Since the third day of gun season i have seen very little daytime movement. 95% of all activity has been within 10 min of legal sunset and sunrise. Does are pounding fields in the pm hours and i think i need to switch all of my attention to field edges in the pm. As for the am hours, i will continue to sit on bedding areas in hopes of catching a cruising buck even though I have had very little activity in the am since the opener. Its just that time of year i guess.

Hunted up north this morning didn't see anything so I got up at about 8 and started still hunting after a big track I came across. Got back to the 4 wheeler at about 915 and my uncle still hunted from his spot back to me and said when he crossed my tracks there was a doe and bigger buck track in my boot prints in the snow. Figures.

Do you hear that? Yeah me neither. Thats what the woods sounds like as the rut activity grinds to a halt.

Time to switch tactics. Since the third day of gun season i have seen very little daytime movement. 95% of all activity has been within 10 min of legal sunset and sunrise. Does are pounding fields in the pm hours and i think i need to switch all of my attention to field edges in the pm. As for the am hours, i will continue to sit on bedding areas in hopes of catching a cruising buck even though I have had very little activity in the am since the opener. Its just that time of year i guess.

I'm with us too huntin the edge. This was last night as last minute does piled in this mowed field. Played a bad trick on my brother this am. Texted him saying big buck out in field, almost dropped his coffee lolpost-150509-14171121919043_thumb.jpg

agreed. i switched to fields in the pm starting last night

Sent from my LG-D631 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Haha your right! I was on the couch watching football while the boys went hunting. Young one with his bow behind the house, and the older one went to Hamlin with the muzzleloader. Got the call and drove out to help him get it out. Wouldn't fit in a Chevy Cruze.

The big 9 pt that ive been hunting was standing in my landowners yard with a doe when i pulled in this morning. They stood there for a min then ran towards the swamp. Just my damn luck

Sent from my LG-D631 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-149813-14171816473145_thumb.jpg

My son Tyler filled his second buck tag of the year with his first 8 pt. yesterday. Quite a bit smaller than the buck he shot opening evening and lost, but I told him it's not often hunters fill one buck tag let alone two in the same yr.post-149813-14171817878102_thumb.jpg

He shot these coyotes on Sunday too in the same spot.