What I like about trolling on Lake Ontario in summer

Patriot

I get the utmost pleasure trolling on Lake Ontario when it’s the middle of summer, its 95 degrees on shore, I’m in 600 feet of water on a south troll, its dead flat calm, the fish have stopped biting long ago, and then a tiny breeze comes across the lake from the north, carrying a nice cool 65 degree temperature. And whenever that happens, I always say “I love fishing Lake Ontarioâ€. And at that moment, catching fish doesn’t matter.

With there with you Patriot!! Just love being out on the lake. I find a solitude out there where I can clear my mind and get a certain peace and calm about me. Catching a fish is just a bonus for me. I do like catching them also though.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The thing I love most...The weather and the way, and speed at which it changes. The best example from last season was a saturday in late may. Winds were out of the south east at about 5mph. We launched from ft.niagara an fished from early morning. At about 1:30 the sky in the west turned very dark. The sun was shining and light wind still out of the south, no problem. A 30mph wind hit us from the west. That was the fastest flat to four footers I can remember. Nothing like closing up shop in an instant gale. The best part is the drastic color changes in the water and sky. Its an adventure some days just trying to tell the color changes in the water from the cloud shadows. Visability is a whole other thing. Fishing in say 300' of water, the somerset stack can seem a hundred miles away. Yet Toronto looks like a ten minute ride. Wait an hour and its the opposite. Kings Rock!!!

There is something sublime about spending a summer day catching kings with high blue skies, 80 degrees, cracking a victory beer after the first fish is boated, then ending the day with a jump in the lake.  There is little in life that compares.