seneca lake trout derby

three days of  fishing fun in the sun . the bite was hard the first day only 3 lakers for the 8 hours that my wife and I put in with a fish that weigh 8.64 on the board . day two fishing for us was hot 16 lakers boated in a 7 hours of fishing and a 9.7 that made the board . day three was the hardest day for us only 3 lakers boated with the biggest only 6 # . A special thanks to Gambler his custom spin N glows with the hammer head cow bells took every laker we got

fisherdude you are "the man"  because you did better than anyone I know or even talked with. Every single person said it was the toughest derby they have ever fished and that includes me as well.  The first two days we fished 20 hours and never had a hit and tried everything I could think of and changed out lures more frequently than I ever have and  5 different core setups, coppers, downriggers cheated, with boards no boards and for many hours running three rigs  (15 spoons) with additional core or copper on boards. It is the first time in my life that I have been skunked two days in a row in fresh or salt water. There were places we marked fish and good amounts of bait but they would not hit no matter what we tried. We managed two lakers this morning an 8 pounder and a 6 pounder and had one brief but aggressive hit right near bottom in 156 ft.  We also went with old school stuff like Hemlock spinners,  and gang hooks behind cowbells with bait. Out of desperation :lol:  I even tried a flassher fly combo behind cowbells. I also like you used similar setups to the Gamblers so maybe the "real thing" makes a difference folks :) My hat is off to you and the Gambler rigs. :yes: Here is some of what I was using (drying out on driveway right now)on wire with 42 oz sinkers etc. depths from 40 - 167 right on and just off bottom with three to 4leaders above as well as without any. Guess I should have remembered to bring my scent too :)

post-145411-0-57238600-1464647982_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

sk8man I ran hemlock spinners also seth greens slide dipsys  and boards. I couldn't get a hit  till I went to the cow bells and spin and glows .I took my seth green rod and made up a 3 way swivel with a 3 pound weight and cow bells and put 3 leaders on the chain beads. I also used pro cure smelt sent, then grinded out the miles. when we got hooked up I would take the rod and  put it in mid ship rod holder, the wife would work the rod, I ran leaders and then net the fish post-145976-0-59126500-1464640321_thumb.jpg post-145976-0-96095100-1464640289_thumb.jpg

fisherdude you are "the man" because you did better than anyone I know or even talked with. Every single person said it was the toughest derby they have ever fished and that includes me as well. The first two days we fished 20 hours and never had a hit and tried everything I could think of and changed out lures more frequently than I ever have and 5 different core setups, coppers, downriggers cheated, with boards no boards and for many hours running three rigs (15 spoons) with additional core or copper on boards. It is the first time in my life that I have been skunked two days in a row in fresh or salt water. There were places we marked fish and good amounts of bait but they would not hit no matter what we tried. We managed two lakers this morning an 8 pounder and a 6 pounder and had one brief but aggressive hit right near bottom in 156 ft. We also went with old school stuff like Hemlock spinners, and gang hooks behind cowbells. Out of desperation :lol: I even tried a flassher fly combo behind cowbells. I also like you used similar setups to the Gamblers so maybe the "real thing" makes a difference folks :) My hat is off to you and the Gambler rigs. :yes:

First time I ever trolled from Lodi to north of Sampson and never had a hit. Thought I was going to have my first skunk until we turned back South and hit a 9.5 pound Bow down 30 on a rigger. Group wasn't in the Derby. It was by far the worst fishing I've had. Nice job to all of those that did well. Sean

that was the worst fishing derby for us ever we managed 4 fish for the whole weekend two bows and two LLs.  I've never put that many hours in without a lake trout or two.  To top it off there is something wrong with the motor it wouldnt run past 3000 rpm under load.  so probably it will be at least a few weeks before I can even get out again.  maybe there will be some kings around on ontario by than.  It was good to see that even though the fishing was slow there were still some very big fish caught. 

is it just me or weren't there two 15lb browns on the board at one point?   I got a lot of sun so the eyes are a little blurry

Fisherdude,

I have some concrete blocks to lay, a roof to put on and a ditch to dig, wondering if your wife would come over and help. Seriously, bringing in 16 fish with cowbells on rigs in one day - she has my total respect. We saw you two out there working 190' a couple Saturdays before the derby and know you are the real deal. We tried flashers and peanuts for a while but couldn't get a touch. Caught a few fish both Saturday and Sunday but no rhyme or reason to them. Congrats to all who got decent fish.

Bob

Fisherdude,

I have some concrete blocks to lay, a roof to put on and a ditch to dig, wondering if your wife would come over and help. Seriously, bringing in 16 fish with cowbells on rigs in one day - she has my total respect. We saw you two out there working 190' a couple Saturdays before the derby and know you are the real deal. We tried flashers and peanuts for a while but couldn't get a touch. Caught a few fish both Saturday and Sunday but no rhyme or reason to them. Congrats to all who got decent fish.

Bob she had wrist surgery a while back . she said her wrist hurts and her waste line is all busted up . thats why I put the rod in middle of boat so she could work the rod up from the deep

This derby was unbeliveable. we fished morning and nights never saw a boat on the north end hook up with a fish all weekend. We managed to scrape out 2 rainbows in 3 days and one 2 lb perch...it was huge. That was it for the weekend. Happened to grab 5th place with the one rainbow just shy of 7 lb mark. Was the toughest derby ive fished in 20 years of going.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Now I don't feel so bad for my poor results. Ran a lot of different set ups and managed only one laker in about 12 hours of running 6 rods. Everything from flat lining off boards, cores, dipsys, and riggers everywhere in between. 1 laker came on mini cowbell and spin n glo. Didn't mark a lot of fish, those wet did seemed glued to bottom. Fished 80 to 120 fow mostly. Couldn't go Monday but my father said found a lot of marks shallow 50 ft but no takers. We fished from Sampson to Geneva both shores.

Congrats to all who fished on a hot, tough, stormy weekend.  Just finished the FLT~s article on the derby, did not see where it listed number of entrants.  Can anybody help with the number?