Legacy- 2016 Deer Season

Legacy

For me and a few buddies down here in Chautauqua county the first week of bow is really exciting. Especially when bucks come out in the agricultural fields nightly. I personally don't have one pattern but have two friends whom have been watching two big boys coming out at least one evening a week to feed. Usually this will occur until there is pressure or the rut approaches.

I've been laughed at when mentioning that one of the best times to shoot a good buck is the first 2 weeks. Much easier to pattern than any other time during the season. Heck, the buck you've had on camera the last 2 months has a 50/50 shot of being elsewhere soon.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

I've been laughed at when mentioning that one of the best times to shoot a good buck is the first 2 weeks. Much easier to pattern than any other time during the season. Heck, the buck you've had on camera the last 2 months has a 50/50 shot of being elsewhere soon.

I would agree with that with a cold front. To get them up earlier. From what I've seen in my area is bucks tend to be last on field and if not Dark it is very close.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Love the first week or so!

Skipper everyone has bad shots you can't be too hard on yourself. I have been very fortunate to only wound 3 deer in the last 16 years of archery hunting. One was a high hit in "no mans land" the other 2 were unfortunately gut shot and none were recovered. I didn't let that stop me but it forced me to become a better archer, I still play out what happened in my head on all 3. the 2 gut shots I have no idea how it happened they were shorter shots within 30 yards maybe they took a step as I released I don't know. the high hit was because I didn't range the deer and thought a 30 yard shot was 40. 2 years ago I shot a nice 8 point that was looking straight at me I was trying to put the arrow at the base of his neck into his chest but hit high and directly in the spine folding the deer in his tracks and also hitting the main artery. Either way he didn't go far or move after the shot. You have to take the good with the bad. I have learned a lot with those 3 lost deer. I hate loosing deer half the reason why I don't do deer drives during gun season.

I am looking forward to the upcoming season I have been thinking about since the end of July when the temps were in the middle 90s. I just kept thinking how nice it would be when the temps start to drop.

Lots of old timer only hunt the rut or were so use to hunting when the season used to start. We hunt tight to bedding areas close to food. A lot of times it's not a pretty place to sit but the action can be great. The property behind my house I hunt but my best buddy has hunted there longer then I have and last two years he filled his bow tag on nice 8 pointers opening day afternoon. This year around mid August a typical 12 point with forked g3's has been showing up in the field about once a week during late afternoon. He is a real trophy buck. If he isn't dead by mid October he will go into hiding. We are so serious about this buck we have stopped having fires in back yard and the kids play in the front yard now, so not to spook him this week.

RD3. Not a big deal posting 3 times. I like hunting the 1st week & the last 2. But I do hunt all thru the season (as most archery hunters do). The season is so short. You have to be out there as much as you can.

Can't shoot them from work.....or the couch!

Good Luck!

Just want to wish everyone luck as you hit the woods this season!! May many bucks fall! Also to remind everyone to be SAFE and to always wear a harness while in a tree. I had a real eye awakening experience this past weekend in Ohio. Was climbing down the tree after an evening hunt, way back in the woods. I was using a climber and while climbing down in the dark one of my feet slipped from the bottum section of the stand. This style climber is an open face ( no bar). Needless to say I was roughly 15 feet in the air at this point and hanging on by just my hands! After I took a few deep breaths and told my self not to panic I was able to pull the bottum section that was still hooked to my other foot up enough to catch the tree. Very scary experience and that will more then likely be the last time I use a climber! That being said don't be a statistic and wear a harness! Good luck and be safe!

Edited by JakeyBaby

I will agree that the climbers can be a challenge on safety. I have been using one for probably 20 years and never had any scare on it as far as slipping. It's a lone wolf sit and climb. Have thought about loosing the bottom half on a climb up or down and that would suck. I use a static line and safety harness now all the time. Older and wiser I guess.

I did have a grade 8 bolt break once. It was my fault for trying to climb a small tree to trim a branch that annoyed me for a clear shot. It caused the upper half too much distortion and I'm not a ballerina, so it gave up. I was very spooked out! Didn't crash, but it was thrilling as it cocked to one side with me sitting on the top piece and did not have a safety hook on either. I was only going up to nip that branch so I didn't take the time to worry about it...lucky man, I was!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app