Shoulder surgery and bow hunting

bout time

Just found out I have a SLAP (superior Librium) tear in my right shoulder. It's is a complete tear from the 10 o'clock to 3 o'clock position. They are going in and grinding the bone, installing a couple screws and anchors and reattaching everything. My question is this :

Has anyone had this surgery or similar and still able to bow hunt?

I am right handed and the doctor said it's a 50/50 for bow hunting. This hurts more than pain itself, as I like most on here, live to bow hunt.

'Bout Time

Mike

My bow instructor had a similar issue and I believe he had a cocking mechanism installed on his bow and I think this came with a permit.  I am sorry that I don't know more but probably the DEC can assist you with this.

I feel for you.  I have been degrading slowly but surely over the past 10 years to the point that I may have to hit the recliner.  I keep telling myself to keep plugging away but I am having more and more trouble recovering the next day and the day after and even the 3rd day after.

My wife has had 3 Rotor cuff surgeries she still shoots her bow.  She cant do as many practice shots as she wants but she still hunts with it.  Take a very serious look at Elite bows.  They have the best draw cycle for anybody with shoulder problems.   She also owns a crossbow but she much prefers to hunt with her bow.   You'll be looking at reducing your draw weight, but 50lbs will kill anything in NY.   Good Luck and rehab it just like they tell you to.  It is a long process.

I had that exact same surgery along with a Bicept decompression. I had the surgery in may and shot an 8 point buck in october with the bow in 2010.  It wasnt easy but i was determined to make it work. Maybe you should get a second opinion, my surgeon was also a bow hunter and he promised me i would be ready for bow season, he kept his promise. Now my problem is that i amputated 2 fingures on my right hand and had them reattached october 14 2016 and missed my whole deer season. Going through lots of physical therapy and more surgery at the end of february and just hope to be ready april 1st for striper season. Just have to hang in there and hope for the best. Good luck and hope it all works out for you !!

I had complete reconstruction of my left shoulder in March of 2011 complete with grinding, screws, and several incisions. I knew I'd never draw my 80lb Hoyt super slam and had to buy a new bow, PSE dream season 60#, but by September I had given the 60# to my son and was into a 70lb dream season. Filled all my tags that year including a 9 point i have on my wall. So to answer your question yes you can do it...Mind you it was a very painful rehab, but my shoulder is still PERFECT! After my surgery I told my physical therapist I wanted an aggressive rehab to get back to work and I went 3 days a week with him really pushing me as well as doing exercises at home and I was back at everything way ahead of schedule but I pushed myself hard. Gotta do the other shoulder eventually, but after you go thru what I did I'm not in a hurry till it's absolutely necessary.

Do your research as I've heard horror stories. I used Dr Federowicz in Binghamton as he came very highly recommended and wouldn't have anyone else after the success of my left shoulder.

Justin Okrepki
NYSDEC licensed guide #7324
http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/
(607)-349-1750

You'll be fine to hunt again but probably with a lighter draw weight which is no biggie especially with the new bow technology.  I shoot right handed and had a full right rotator cuff repair over a year ago.  It was a complete tear and I had the surgery in April due to icefishing ending and trying to be ready for bow season. The PT was more than painful but I made a complete recovery with the only change being I bought and started shooting a 50lb-60lb  Hoyt bow that summer and was able to practice and shoot plenty by September.  Hunted that season with no issues and it's been fine ever since.  I used to shoot a Martin but with the new bow technology my new Hoyt Faktor shoots faster than my old single cam Martin did at 65lbs.  I'm still very careful and don't do pushups or pull ups anymore as I'm afraid of re-injury and just be prepared for a long tough road with the PT but it will work out for you.  Good luck.  

had my  right  shoulder done twice I shoot  a lot  own a Mathews monster  draw 78 pds ill give  you  a good word of  advice pt is important that   did it  for me I can shoot  100  arrows in one day then starts  getting  sore but  when your  hunting you  shoot once maybe twice if you have to  keep that in mind   also  all you  need is  55 pds  to kill a  deer  what I  did I  got myself a archery training aid all it  is its a piece surgical tubing u  draw  back helps  alot

I hunt with a guy who had the same surgery a few years ago. He had it done in July and was hunting at the end of October. He turned the draw weight down to 55 lbs. The next year he was back to normal. He had a lot physical therapy, and could not hang tree stands the year it was done, but was able to hunt. Good luck with surgery! Hope to see you this spring.

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, bout time said:

Thanks for all the information and words of advice. I go in feb 6 and I'm hoping to be back in the boat by mid April and if all goes well back in a tree this fall

'Bout Time
Mike

had my  right  shoulder done twice I shoot  a lot  own a Mathews monster  draw 78 pds ill give  you  a good word of  advice pt is important that   did it  for me I can shoot  100  arrows in one day then starts  getting  sore but  when your  hunting you  shoot once maybe twice if you have to  keep that in mind   also  all you  need is  55 pds  to kill a  deer  what I  did I  got myself a archery training aid all it  is its a piece surgical tubing u  draw  back helps  alot good luck may you  recover  quick

Had the same surgery June of 2015 and by November 2015 it blew out again. Starting the process again February first but hoping for a different result with a different dr

Out of curiosity what did you do to blow it out. That is my fear

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The most important part of shoulder surgery is selecting the very best orthopedic shoulder surgeon available. My father always said you know what they call the guy who finishes last in his class in med school...Doctor! My dad happens to be a Dr...not all doctors have ivy league education's either....Just saying! I had to go out of network and out of pocket for more than I wanted, but I got THE right surgeon. If you didn't have a long wait to be scheduled for surgery that's another bad sign as the very best surgeons are booked solid.

Justin Okrepki
NYSDEC licensed guide #7324
http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/
(607)-349-1750

At the very least you can use a crossbow for 2 weeks of the bow season. It's the last 2 weeks of the season which are usually the best. I love using a crossbow, got 4 deer over the last 3 years with mine.
The advantage with a crossbow is that you can be motionless, I don't shoot any farther; all deer were 20 yards or less. Also, you can use a cranking aid to cock the bow.
Good luck with your surgery.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice. Everything went as expected screws anchors reattachments and now road to recovery.

I will ask for advice as the season nears for best all around lower poundage bows with fingers crossed

On a side note I had the Doctor upgrade the drag washers and increase the gear ratio while he was in my shoulder. Fish beware and hope to be posting by May.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 7:02 AM, bout time said:

Just found out I have a SLAP (superior Librium) tear in my right shoulder. It's is a complete tear from the 10 o'clock to 3 o'clock position. They are going in and grinding the bone, installing a couple screws and anchors and reattaching everything. My question is this :

Has anyone had this surgery or similar and still able to bow hunt?

I am right handed and the doctor said it's a 50/50 for bow hunting. This hurts more than pain itself, as I like most on here, live to bow hunt.

'Bout Time

Mike

BE SURE ASK THE DOCTOR IF YOU WILL NEED A TRANSFUSION I GOT ONE AND SINCE THEN I HAVE A CRAVING  FOR  CROISSANTS ECLAIRS AND POUTINE I  FOUND OUT WAS A  FRENCH CANADIAN BLOOD  PACK:P

Edited by treedude363

• 1 month later...

Quick update not going so well. It is determined that I have nerve damage now. I am behind in all aspects of recovery from range of motion to muscle strengthening. With that said I was told I'm looking at a 2-3 year recovery period and hope to be at 85-90% when all done. I was told at the 6 month mark I am lucky to be at 30% which is deer season.

So here is my next question. What would everyone suggest as a good cross bow without breaking the bank ?

Nothing against cross bows I just never imagined myself using them ....

Harsh reality but it's better than not being able to get out

'Bout Time
Mike

I had neck surgery 14 years ago, I waited too long to have the surgery. I ended up with nerve damage which because of the pain gradually reduced my strength. I hated to give up bow hunting, so I purchased a $200 Barnet crossbow two years ago, last year I got my first deer with it.    

Well is sure sounds like your not alone, but that doesn't help you any. I would do as Justin said, most doctors I saw for my back surgery ALL said the likelihood hood of ever going without a walker or a Kane. That's when I started to look outside the box. I found a hospital that is owned by doctors, not StateFunded, called coordinated health, my insurance covered me, but not all, the doctor was flown up from Florida and read the MRI and there was a new procedure for my type of accident and I would be the 2nd person to have it done. There's no guarantees in surgery, but he said I'll walk again, but it will be a long road. I agreed to the surgery it was 5 1/2hrs. The first thing I did was wiggle my toes and they worked, the next day they got me out of bed!! Come on we're going for a walk!! Make absolute sure you put 110% into your physical therapy!!! Today I go without a walker!! I was the second person to have this procedure done the first guy goes with a cane, I don't. I had to pay for a lot for my braces and other stuff!!

Sorry to hear about the shoulder. I am going in for my second surgery on the left shoulder in the beginning of June. Do some prehab now and trying to make it through baseball season. Pain is bad and have started to favor the right one so much so that they think that one has a tear. Really sucks never thought at 42 I would have this much pain. What surgery did you have. Labrum? Cuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I had labrum done. Because my tear was longer than normal and more posterior (in the back) than anterior it has drastically increased my rehab time.....I'm a former motocross racer, catcher in baseball for 20 years, not to mention all the hunting, fishing and all other work. I was told it was probably an old injury which just keep getting worse as time went on......

'Bout Time
Mike

• 1 month later...

Curious to see how your rehab is going? Just happened to come across the post. I am a physical therapist in Rochester. Not trying to strike up business just want to see if I can help.