Is 16 foot deep v to wimpy for the big lake?

Windknot

In the market for a new boat. Just moved to The Rochester area from Philadelphia and my flat bottom johnboat doesn't cut it up here with the wind and chop. Ideally I'd like a boat that is easy enough to trailer and launch in the fingerlakes and in lake ontario. I'm minutes from irodequoit bay and would likely fish it alot but would like to make occasional trolling runs on the big water. What set up do you guys recommend? I've got someone who will sell me  a 16 foot deep V side console with a 70hp Honda outboard for a really good price but I fear it's too small. I definitely don't want a dedicated offshore troller so I was hoping this would work.  My whole boating life has been on the small lakes and middle and tidal delaware river of PA so this big lake stuff is new to me.  Advice needed, thanks in advance!

Its not to wimpy on certain days. While others it isnt going to be able to handle it. The biggest thing to remember is it is most important to check the weather and go from there. It would make a nice boat for the fingerlakes however. Personally i own a 14ft deep v and fish on the fingers even in some rough conditions and have fished ontario in the spring for browns with no problems but i have been on the big lake fishing for salmon in rollers and its no fun. You have to know when to tuck your tail between your legs and get to shore

It will work on calm days…Personally I would go larger if you plan on fishing ontario regularly. I own a 175 tracker targa. Im gonna go larger eventually.

Edited by boho607

You have to pick your times. Spring browns close to shore , Nice summer days out to say 200' . late summer/ fall for staging kings. Can't get to far from port. Setup of boat is critical for safety & success. 

I have a 16' I troll staging  kings and I love it ,but many days I am stuck in the creek fishing for bass .

16' 8" Starcraft here. Next spring starts my 21st. season on the big lake with this rig. Fishing waves less than 3 ft. no problem. Pick your days and don't skimp on the safety equipment. I spend most of my time out there alone, and will turn 60 in a few weeks. 2 batteries, 2 bilge pumps, 2 vhf radios ( 1 hand held, 1 fixed ) extra flares, and I always wear an auto inflate life jacket. ... Plenty of fish to be had in a small rig.

boat and track.jpg 

Edited by J.D.

8 minutes ago, J.D. said:

16' 8" Starcraft here. Next spring starts my 21st. season on the big lake with this rig. Fishing waves less than 3 ft. no problem. Pick your days and don't skimp on the safety equipment. I spend most of my time out there alone, and will turn 60 in a few weeks. 2 batteries, 2 bilge pumps, 2 vhf radios ( 1 hand held, 1 fixed ) extra flares, and I always wear an auto inflate life jacket. ... Plenty of fish to be had in a small rig.

boat and track.jpg 

Ok, excellent advice. A setup like yours is pretty much exactly what I want. It seems tough to find a decent deep v like yours in the 16-18 foot range that isn't junk. Although I'd prefer an 18 foot I think, the 16 I'm looking at is solid with a great outboard.

I'd say since your luck enough to live by the lake maybe a 16fter will work. Pick and choose your day. I had 18ft deep V boat called TROLLER, boat was built in Erie Ohio, take 2-3fters ok but after that she would take water over the bow, which wasn't a bad thing as this boat the water runs out the scuppers. Now I have a family I need to go when I get the chance. I made many trips to NY to watch the white caps on the Black River, let alone the lake. After a year of windy no goes, I went to a 22ft cuddy!! Now I go with 4fters, but 5fterd just aren't comfortable you get beat to death. I know others that don't think twice about 5-6fters!! I've had numerous back surgeries with plates inside me and plate on the backside of me and 2 pins holding the whole works together, along with 4 artificial vertebrae. So yea I sill go when it's big waves, but just take it easy till I work my way to the shore line that I'm going to troll. Going with the waves is much nicer then pounding against themLOL.

Like others have said its doable if you pick your days, watch the weather and run in if you don't feel safe. I used to go out in a 12 footer but always had oak orchard creek to fish as a back up, then went to a 16 alumacraft that got me out further. The beam width was narrow on the alumacraft and in some waves you got thrown around. If it was a 16 ft with wide beam like the starcraft in the pics above would be your best bet.

East end of Ontario is worse for waves than the west end, going out of I bay you should be ok, I fish Erie a lot now and really have to pick my days. I now have a 176 starcraft superfisherman with wide beam and it is a lot better in the waves than the narrower boat.

boat and track.jpg 

Nice looking boat

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have a 19' deep v that I fish Lake Champlain And Lake Ontario. Handles the rough water well. You still have to use common sense when out on the lake. I use to fish Lake Ontario in my buddies 16' deep v. Thought it was a bit too small. That's why I went 19'. Safety should come first

A 16 ft'r deep v would be a very good boat for early morning fishing on Big O out of I-Bay. Winds generally don't pick up till 9:30-10:00am.  Keep an eye on the weather.  That area is well protected from East, South & most West winds .  North winds can get somewhat narly tho.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Probably not what you want to hear, but wait, find somebody who does it out of a small boat and hitch a ride, get a look at their setup and whether you're comfortable with it, whether you could launch it alone if you wanted, and keep your ears peeled for a good deal. In the meantime, buy a kayak to fish out of this summer on the bay, just to scratch the itch, It's quick, easy and enjoyable. And perfect for the Finger Lakes. I own half a dozen boats but enjoy fishing Hemlock from a kayak as much as anything.

And IMHO, a 17' deep v hull with a 115 4-stroke would be a perfect all around rig.

On 1/25/2017 at 5:19 PM, Windknot said:

In the market for a new boat. Just moved to The Rochester area from Philadelphia and my flat bottom johnboat doesn't cut it up here with the wind and chop. Ideally I'd like a boat that is easy enough to trailer and launch in the fingerlakes and in lake ontario. I'm minutes from irodequoit bay and would likely fish it alot but would like to make occasional trolling runs on the big water. What set up do you guys recommend? I've got someone who will sell me  a 16 foot deep V side console with a 70hp Honda outboard for a really good price but I fear it's too small. I definitely don't want a dedicated offshore troller so I was hoping this would work.  My whole boating life has been on the small lakes and middle and tidal delaware river of PA so this big lake stuff is new to me.  Advice needed, thanks in advance!

I personally would wait for an 18-19ft deep V with a full windshield. But I have gone out on my buddy's 16ft SC for browns in close and its done OK, don't really want to be in anything over 2fters. even with a 19ft Deep V you are going to have to pick your days.

I HAD A 16  FOOT  MONARK WITH A 50 4 STROKE I WAS ON THE  HUDSON RIVER STRIPER  FISHING  THE WIND PICKED UPI TELL  YOU I WAS NERVOUS  TOOK ME A  WHILE GET TO  SHORE THE WAVES WHERE SWALOWING ME NOW GETTING A 18  FOOTER AS  WIDE AS I CAN GET IF YOU CANT GET  ANY BIGGER  INVEST IN A  VHF  RADIO   PLAY THE WEATHER AND  WIND

Edited by treedude363

4 hours ago, Gator said:

Probably not what you want to hear, but wait, find somebody who does it out of a small boat and hitch a ride, get a look at their setup and whether you're comfortable with it, whether you could launch it alone if you wanted, and keep your ears peeled for a good deal. In the meantime, buy a kayak to fish out of this summer on the bay, just to scratch the itch, It's quick, easy and enjoyable. And perfect for the Finger Lakes. I own half a dozen boats but enjoy fishing Hemlock from a kayak as much as anything.

And IMHO, a 17' deep v hull with a 115 4-stroke would be a perfect all around rig.

I have a flat bottom John boat already. It just absolutely blows in the slightest amount of chop. I explored a little bit in the bay but I've only been here since the end of August. Really getting the itch to get something more appropriate. 

Common sense goes a long way, unfortunately it seems many are lacking it these days. I fish Erie and Ontario exclusively out of a 16 foot tiller. Pick and choose your days wisely and you'll be fine. With your lack of experience you may want to hitch a ride with some experienced anglers first like someone else mentioned. I've essentially grown up on the lakes and feel comfortable out there. I've made 8-10 mile runs on both lakes under the right conditions, you just can't push the envelope. Fortunately I have time off much of the summer so I don't need to force trips, When it's blowing less than 10 I'm out there somewhere. And by chance the weather man was wrong I know enough to turn around and go home, even if I drove an hour to get there.   

Lots of sound advice on here. I fished a 16' deep V when I first started fishing Ontario in the early 90's. After 3 years and the addiction kicked in my dad and I upgraded to a bigger boat.Being able to go out in rougher water is great and the fishing can be dynamite but it's not a whole lotta fun personally. I'm just a weekend warrior looking for a nice relaxing day of fish catching with friends and family. Tough to relax in bigger waves and everything is just a little tougher to do. Living where you are you have tons of options to find some quieter water as an alternative. I would look for the biggest TRAILERABLE boat you can afford and remember, Lake O can look "Doable" ( countless times have we said it's capping but doesn't look to bad as we are driving down the road )but once you hit the water it's rougher than you think- good luck with the boat purchase- you have no idea what your in for once the trolling bug takes over your every thought!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United