Legacy- 2018 Deer Season

Legacy

19 hours ago, foresterdave said:

Been following this thread for a couple years and really enjoy it! I have had a good season so far. Four deer down including a mature 8 point on the morning of November 18. I have been focusing on taking my two boys(6 and 9) over the past couple weeks holding out hope for a lone mature doe. I have been leaving the field on the property alone, in spite of seeing deer there every evening. Trying to leave them alone and letting a couple bucks eat without being pushed.

Sitting in my my ground blind this afternoon with my 6 year old, Phil, we heard a very close shot fired in the field at 4:05. We packed up and headed out to investigate. There was a truck parked next to the field that I had been avoiding!

I called the DEC officer in our area after seeings foot prints heading into my leased land. Three guys came out of the brush including a young kid. I told them the game warden was on route. They were very polite and remorseful of what they had done. I doubt they cared about ruining my hunt, and potentially putting Phil and I in danger.

The officer made it there in less than 10 minutes. He did a great job handling the situation. I am very thankful he was so close. I am going to press charges against the guys that did this. My lease is clearly posted and I am sure they had full intent! It's sad that these things happen. I wish people would respect others land and not engage in these activities.

Both my boys are now nervous about going hunting. It's really not fair to them. Plus the guys had a young person with them. Talk about teaching a bad lesson....the whole experience really makes me sad!
The DEC officet has been excellent and I am grateful for his help. Good luck to all during muzzleloader! I don't intend on letting today's experience stop me from hunting and taking my boys.

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This I just don't get.  Why do people cheat constantly?  Do it the right way or don't do it.  Poaching form the road is bad enough but doing it with a kid in the truck is just ludicrous.  What are you teaching the kid?  Thankfully the warden responded quickly and they were held accountable. Where is the excitement and challenge in shooting a deer from the truck?

• Like 2

December 10 pm

35 degrees
NE wind 5 mph
Cloudy

The only deer I saw tonight were the two I bumped on the way in. Very surprised zero action on this field. Not a whole lot of tracks. Probably the last sit of the year on this property.
IMG_20181210_151141390.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Very little action for me as well. Saw 3 flatheads. Once I waited long enough I decided I was going to take one. Picked out the one I wanted and settled in on her. Next thing I know they bolt!! I look up and say here we go, big boy is coming!? NOPE! instead it's the neighbor driving his truck through the field. Lol! Cant make this stuff up!

• Like 1

sat out overlooking my back field behind the farm last night , super quiet no deer showed just squirrels and doves ...but got to thinking ,i have this beautifuPART_1544531069857_IMG_20181207_153652811.thumb.jpg.fdbda741de4e27b1811b96535bb939dd.jpgl turnip field in front of me,turnips the size of softballs.... when do the deer start digging them up  ?

sat out overlooking my back field behind the farm last night , super quiet no deer showed just squirrels and doves ...but got to thinking ,i have this beautifuPART_1544531069857_IMG_20181207_153652811.thumb.jpg.fdbda741de4e27b1811b96535bb939dd.jpgl turnip field in front of me,turnips the size of softballs.... when do the deer start digging them up  ?
I think December 19th

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

No dog.

Usually muzzle loader deer are dead pretty quick, with only one shot hunters are very patient with taking it.

On another note me and Reddog had a 30% recovery rate this year, that's about average. If you killed it we can usually find it, so yes most are not dead just wounded and later become yote food. 

Reddog is getting older and we'll have to see how she is doing next year, this year a 2 hour hunt does her and me in pretty good