Sealing underside of plywood floor..

VooDoo

Just removed the carpeting and found several areas that were rotten on the floor. Main floor was replaced 3 years ago with 3/4" marine ply. But they didn't seal it. Between the carpet and the floatation foam, new floor was already deteriorating. Anyone have any ideas as to what I can use to deal the underside of the plywood. I plan to use Raptor Bedliner on the top side but it would be too pricey to use on both sides. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You can go to Walmart they sell  fiberglass resin in a gallon can in the auto department for about $35.

buy some outdoor plywood cut it to size then roll 2 coats of the resin on and brush the edges real good .

last you 20 years . Done it a bunch , same for transoms .

Good Luck !

• Like 1

I just redid my Islander this summer.

Use West System 105 epoxy and 205 hardener.

DO NOT use pressure treated plywood !   It WILL react with the aluminum and make a real mess !

If you use the west system, make sure you treat all edges and surfaces with (2) Two coats

You won,t be disappointed with the results.

I agree on not using treated wood. just get exterior grade plywood the only difference in it and marine is the marine has less knots and one side is extra smooth. I sealed mine with paint on truck bed lining I bought at Oreillys. but a few coatings of polyurethane should seal the bottom and edges and last for yrs. I sealed all the seams and edges after the floor was installed with cheese cloth and fiberglass resin.

Edited by sherman brown

I ended up getting Sherwin Williams 2 part epoxy. Great warranty, great price. Around $75 for 2 gal. Got it tinted light gray with non skid additive. Will see how it goes. If its too slick I'll put Merideck vinyl flooring over it. Should seal every thing well. I'll post pics when i get it done.

I HAVE REFLOORED  TOO MANY ALUMINUM BOATS.  YOU MAY HAVE ANOTHER ISSUE TO ADDRESS.  BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING, TAKE A PIECE OF 1'' PVC PIPE AND DO SOME CORE SAMPLES OF YOUR FOAM  IN EACH COMPARTMENT TO MAKE SURE IT IS NOT SATURATED......IF IT IS, GET IT OUT NOW. IT SOUNDS LIKE IT MAY BE AND IT ADDS SO MUCH WEIGHT--SEE I BOATS FORUM ON REBUILDING. I THINK THE SATURATED FOAM KILLED YOUR FLOOR, ESPECIALLY IF ITS MARINE PLY.  IF MARINE PLY CAN DRY, IT LASTS FOREVER.

BEFORE I COATED ANYTHING I WOULD BUY SOME 1/4'' THICK ALUMINUM STRIPS TO ADD TO EXISTING ALUM. FRAME AND LIFT THE FLOOR ABOVE THE FOAM FOR DRYING AIR FLOW.  COAT BOTH SIDES WITH 2 COATS OF EPOXY.  YOU WILL NOT BE HAPPY WITH THE BEDLINNER AS IT WILL CRACK OVER TIME WITH FLEX.  IF YOU HAVE DRY FOAM AND ALLOW AIR FLOW JUST USE GOOD MARINE CARPET AS IT DRIES FAST AND IS EASY TO REPLACE.

FEEL FREE TO PM IF NEED ANYTHING

COACH

Havent been able to work on the boat due to monsoon weather. I like the idea of putting aluminim strips down for separation of the floor and foam, but 1/4" bar stock in the amount that I need is just too pricey. I'm thinking of taking composite deck boards and ripping them down to strips on a table saw to use as spacers.