Sodus Report and Docks were removed 7/29/19

Launched next to Arney's Marine at 5:45am on 7/29/19.  Straight out of inlet set up in 80FOW.  Running 6 rod spread, while setting rod #5 our first king hit rigger 65' down, purple spoon.  Very steady pick of kings (8 in the boat, lost 5) ranging from 11lbs up to 22lbs.  Purple was the color for us early then around 9:30 green spoons turned on.  All bites on riggers, no bites on lead core nor copper wire.  Worked water 100FOW - 140FOW.  Down 85' water was 50deg.  Pulled out at 1:30pm.

got back to the boat ramp and the docks were GONE!!  

IMG_0324.jpg

Edited by Fjaq
Pic added

Hope it wasn't because too many idiots were creating wakes. we saw some of them the other day both in channel and in the bay itself A couple even went full tilt back to the ramp passing us to get in before us when we were going 5 mph. Takes all kinds I guess.

Thanks for posting but I have a question

when you say removed the docks are you saying the main dock used for launching and securing your boat while you park has been removed at the state launch?

thanks I have been launching there all summer and plan to go Wednesday, not sure what to do if that main dock is gone

When we came back in at 1:30pm on 7/29 there were no docks in place at the ramp.  No docks in the water, no docks stacked in the prep area (where they stack them for the winter).

The docks were there when we launched at 5:45am.

Nothing but nasty metal poles sticking up about 6 inches out of the water.

there were 2 pieces of machinery at the ramp.  An excavator was on land and a small crane on a small barge.  No workers were present.

We had to pull up to the bulkhead at the house next to the ramp.  My wife held the boat there while I got my truck and then power loaded.

I called to see why docks were pulled. First I called sodus point they said they didn't handle it. the town of sodus is in charge of the ramp so I called the town of sodus and basically got a run around and a number for the town supervisor called that number and got a voice mail . So if any one is trying to make plans to go to the point you can call the town supervisor 585 739 7070 his name is Steve . Good luck I'm thinking .....

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Okay I got a call from town supervisor. He got a state funding for a new permanent dock . He did request funding for a floating dock but was denied. so the permanent dock is going to be high with rails down the side so the boat won't float under the dock and he said it should be open by The Weekend.

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

5mph restriction is within 1000 feet of the shoreline.  Technically boats are allowed to rip down the middle of the bay since it is outside restriction.  We were boarded by the Coast Guard a few weeks back that made a point to tell me we were welcome to still go tubing with the kids down the middle of the bay since it is still legal to do so.  That being said, we have seen a lot of boats that appear to be much closer to shore at full tilt.

• Like 1

with the present lake level fluctuations the best dok would have been a floater.The dock at the coast guard remains useless much of the time due to high water.A floater would be alot safer also.If I were the town Id take the money offered and put it towards a floater replacement.Maybe a small launch fee to cover costs.

Exciting, the wave forecast was way off!

Started with North wind and big rollers but fishable, set up in 120 Hooked up by 140. Really steady for 2 hours right at that 135 to 145 depth so I stayed there. Wind moved to northeast and the rollers turned to breakers so I and about 10 other boats headed in. I was in a 23 foot cuddly and it got sporty

if you get a good day you will get worn out catching them