Rigger releases ?

chowder

Ok, I went to a GLA salmon seminar and now I feel like I should give up on my Off Shore pinch pad type releases and go with the Walkers or the Blacks (at least for chasing kings)? Last year was my first year trolling and most of the fish we got on riggers were in the FLX not Ontario and we often ran our riggers shallow 30'-60'. I didn't think we had very many rigger trips w/ out anybody home but there must be some reason people who chase Kings don't seem to use the pinch pad type release, I am thinking you can't load the rod up and get the belly out of the line as easily w/ the pinch pad type because it trips too easily and by the same token will not have the resistance needed for setting the hook into a really aggressive fish? On the other hand if I am fishing the FLX a fair amount maybe I want to use the Off Shore releases there so I don't drag skippers up & down the lake?

Chowder,

My choice has always been Blacks releases but after seeing the Chamberlins in use I would go with them. Especially since you fish the FLX. It has a feature that allows the smallest of fish to trip the release and still crank down the tips of the rods to the water. Even very small LL salmon will trip it.

Heading to Ontario for kings...Just a few little adjustments and you are all set for the big boys.

The Chamberlin is like a Blacks but with a few more tricked out features!

I am no way afilliated with Chamberlins. Hell....I dont even own a downrigger any more.

Brad is on the $ with the new releases.I have used blacks for years and I will use Chamberlain releases this year they are great. I had spoons down 100 feet last spring in olcott and the rod was almost touching the water very easy to use and set up. They are coming out with a stacker mid summer so that will be a plus for my temp probe rigger here is a link to Keith's web site. Hope this helps

http://www.downriggerrelease.com/

I've used blacks on other peoples boats and really didn't care for em. I prefer pinch pad style releases and use the Scottys with the 30" leads and they are great. I have NO false releases, can load the crap out of the rods, and with the long lead, if a fish even breathes on my lure it shows up on the rid tip, shakers are NO problem.

Tim

Andy, I agree with Tim on this one. I also use the Scotty's and have nothing but good to say about them. One plus that he touched on is the fact a dink or smaller target is very easy to see with the use of them. Just my opinion-By the way, nice to meet you over the weekend. We left around 3, and drove threw a whiteout almost the whole way home- Made it interesting-Duane

Thanks for all the responses, I got a couple questions:

Scotty users; 1. which model(s) are you guys using, the power grip cable, power grip ball, or the "mini" version of the former two?2. How many of you use the Scotty a fair amount for trout ? 3. How much variation in tension can you achieve, or in other words will it be easy for someone who doesn't know the release to find a spot on the pad that will allow me to crank down, but still trip for the dinks (or do you just watch for the pulse of a skipper and concentrate more on getting it deep in the pad so you can load the rod)

Chamberlain users; 1. How many of you have used this release a fair amount for Kings?How long does it take to learn how to make both adjustments?

Chowder The chamberlains are simple there are 2 adjustments one for the lure pull and one for the rod.For kings I have them set on the tightest setting and the rod adjustment you have to play with it a little so you know what works for you. It is a screw like they have on blacks. I just started using them last year but I like what I see so far I did use blacks with rubber bands. and I forgot to say I use a Scotty pinch pad for my temp probe rigger I used one on Maniac's boat and it worked great.

Edd I have used roemers here in Mass for 15 years they are great releases but when fishing down over 100 feet for Kings on Lake Ontario I always had problems with false releases and you can troll smaller fish for a while with out seeing the rods shake. using blacks with rubber bands worked very well great hook sets also.But using the Chamberlain releases last year I liked them a lot so I will give them another shot this year and see what happens.

Chowder,

I've used the offshore releases for years with no problems. I've cought alot of fish with them and really haven't lost that many. I use them on both the Flx and LO. I just place them deeper in the pad on the big lake. Thanks

Jay

Edd- I just purchased 2 Roemer Liberator releases off their website for running cheaters. When I use riggers for walleye I use weldon releases, but they arent the greatest for L.O. kings- cannot load the rod enough, so we use scotty on the big O.

andy, i have used the bigger scotty releases and they are easy to learn. there is a black line on them, for ontario put the mono on the back side of the black line. for cayuga put it on the front side of the line.the cable releases clip on your rigger cable, great for running 2 rods off of 1 rigger. the ball releases attach to your rigger weight. i can't help you with the chamberlains yet.

blacks at the ball in the past this year ill be trying the chamberlins ,scotty style for up high fishing for stacking with light load on rod .If im going for the deep guys or need to preload a lot i use the roamers. Also with the roamers someone posted here to just twist line and put in release clip ,started doing that last year that way works well and sales a ton of time.