Joe Riefer - At the Oak

It was always my opinion that the "at the Oak" reports made the average fisherman a good fisherman when heading out of the Oak.. I spent many a Friday studying the reports and putting my strategy together for Saturday morning.. For those of us that didn't have the luxury of getting out during the week, the information was invaluable..

I also feel that his "open communication" instilled an attitude of sharing amongst the captains at the Oak.. It is the most "open" port on the lake and ever captain I have talked to is willing to help others catch fish..

I never met him face to face, but exchanged a few emails with him.. he was always gracious and friendly...

I think when it is our time, we can only hope that so many people appreciate our contributions and friendship!! :beer:

This is a sad day for all of us that fish on lake O. Joe and Shirley are a wealth of information for all of us that live far from the Oak. My deepest sympathy to Shirley and the rest of the family and all of you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Heres hoping that the fishing is as good in heaven as at the Oak.

Jeff

I've got to agree, thru Joe's posts and his personal emails he quickly sent anytime I raised a hand, I feel as if I knew him well. I didn't make it out there that much and I am disappointed in myself that I never shook his hand for all the help. He is what got my first Steely with a dipsy, and what got me into the great sport of trolling.

Here's to you Joe ! :beer: May we all learn from your guidance and contributions.

Boy am I sad to here that news. For those of you who know Shirley and Joe, EVERY THING about these people is top notch, BAR NONE!!!! But it sure brings back GREAT memories of 1980's fishing out off bald eagle in 600 ft. water ++++ and seeing the CONDOR coming on the same "line" from the west every other time we were there. No other boats for ever. Joe worked at Xerox with Pat Distaffen and those 2 guys forged the best foundation of spoons to this day before they retired. I just pulled out some old Condor 1986 charter brochures, and talk about impressive!!!! WOW. Joe/Shirley complete full sided inside brochure shows and states proudly THAT EVERY FISH on this page (except 1) were caught on PIRATE spoons. 20 years later no wonder why their "at the oak" site is the best updated/ most popular fishing site there is on lake O. DEDICATION!!!!!!!!

I am sad to here this, and condolences and prayers go out to family and friends. But I am surely lucky to have known and learned great things from them, as all of you who have know them past and present have as well.

Jerry Felluca

REBEL CHARTERS

Wow, sad to say the least, best wishes to Shirley, family and close friends. Joe's dedications to his pastime passions showed very well !! I remember times when I was called upon by our Cold Steel team members to read Joe's posts while they were at that end of the lake on the water so I could read what "At The Oak" had to report to them, they even had me print it off just before I would leave Oswego heading that way. I also remember when the Pirate Spoons were added to our Oswego Tackle shop wall in the later 80's many years ago, we sold many.

I never met Joe or Shirley but I felt their influence and counted on their daily dedication, a true loss !!

Nice write up Capt. Bob Songin

Tom

I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to mail a card, send an e-mail or post a tribute on the messageboard in recognition of Joe's passing. And a special thank you to all who sent donations to Rudy's Rescue in Joe's memory. The kindness of our friends and some complete strangers is something I'll always remember.

Shirley

http://www.rudysrescue.org

Shirley my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. I just wanted to say that in the Mid 80's I was working with the Buckaroo on his boat and I'll always rember Joe putting the new secret Pirates in a blown up garbage bag, and drop it into the lake and then we would troll by and pick them up. Those were the only spoons we used back then and boy did they put a bunch of fish into the boat. More recently I always read At the Oak and I have learned many new ways to catch fish. Thank you.

I never met either of them, but I always was checking out the latest reports on their site and looking up any new lures I wasn't familiar with. He will be greatly missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to Shirley and the rest of their family.

• 2 weeks later...

Every post is absolutely true. Not a day went by during the trolling season that I did not visit their web site for current reports and information. I'm sure Joe is fishing with the big time anglers now. All my best.

JAN