Fixed cheater over flasher?

Yeah, I wouldn't do it. You'll fix the cheater with a rubber band ... the idea is the band will snap with a fish bite, and that cheater will slide all the way down to the flasher ... which will roll your line into a tangled mess. 

Rather used a stacked rod, or stick with cheater line on a clean spoon line.

I have a similar question regarding this. I only have one downrigger for now and would like to run a f/f deep as an attractor and stack a spoon directly above it.  If I run the f/f say 20’ back and a stacked rod with a spoon 10’ above it and 40’ back am I asking for trouble if that f/f gets hit since it has a shorter lead?   I used to run this pattern in my other boat but with 2 downriggers and did well.  

You might be tempted to think that the spoon will get the hit and you'd be "off to the races" clear of your other stuff but another possibly shouldn't escape you and that is for example you hook into a large or very active King on the flasher/fly. They are usually all over the place with little ability to control where they go and often they can come toward to boat and upward going from side to side of the boat and your spoon line is somewhere in that path. So you have the distinct possibility of tangling AND losing the fish and best case scenario is having to net the fish with tangled lines and then having to either cut or untangle afterward. The question then is "Was it worth it? " :lol:

I run 2 riggers and stack each running 4 rods total. Then I run 2 dipseys. My lower rod on the rigger is always a longer lead then the upper stacked line. My thought process is I don’t want the lower line coming up and getting into stacked line. If lower line hits I also always clear the upper stacked line. Maybe this is not ideal according to some but works for me. I use Scotty releases to stack lines.

Rick  

Edited by dickey

49 minutes ago, dickey said:

I run 2 riggers and stack each running 4 rods total. Then 1 run 2 dipseys. My lower rod on the rigger is always a longer lead then the upper stacked line. My thought process is I don’t want the lower line coming up and getting into stacked line. If lower line hits I also always clear the upper stacked line. Maybe this is not ideal according to some but works for me. I use Scotty releases to stack lines.

Rick  

Exactly. We always had short leads on the stacked line ... like 8 ft.

Thanks sk8man, I figured it wouldn’t be a good idea but trying to figure out a way to run a flasher tight and run a spoon further back I the general vicinity to temp a disengaged fish. I run dipseys off each side with the one downrigger deep

You could run the flasher off a fixed line off the ball (cable tether or heavy mono) with no hooks and run your stacker with spoon 10' above.  I believe its called "Ace in the Hole".  I tried it once on Cayuga and caught a couple landlocks on it until the line between my dodger and the cannonball broke...15lb test was not heavy enough to take the resistance and rotation or maybe, I made a poor knot.  Either way if i was making a rig i would use old rigger cable or 50lb test mono. 

My grandfather said they may have left the hooks on a fixed rigger ball/dodger/squid combo once or twice...made the rigger cables dance as they winched up the "tuna"

Interesting concept, I like it.  I have also seen guys run rotators off the ball ahead of the leader as well.  I guess I was hoping to have an extra lure in the water but if a salmon is excited enough to come to a flasher, a close running spoon will hopefully seal the deal. Thanks for the input 

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah, I wouldn't do it. You'll fix the cheater with a rubber band ... the idea is the band will snap with a fish bite, and that cheater will slide all the way down to the flasher ... which will roll your line into a tangled mess. 

Rather used a stacked rod, or stick with cheater line on a clean spoon line.
I'm new to trolling, just learning. Is a stacked rod similar to a Seth Green rig ?

Sent from my SM-T720 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

A stacked rod refers to having a 2nd rod above your bottom rod on a single downrigger with each rod having a separate release so the rods are at different depths.  A Seth Green rig is a single rod with a heavy weight that has multiple places to attach leaders for lures.  

A stacked rod refers to having a 2nd rod above your bottom rod on a single downrigger with each rod having a separate release so the rods are at different depths.  A Seth Green rig is a single rod with a heavy weight that has multiple places to attach leaders for lures.  
Oh ok thank you

Sent from my SM-T720 using Lake Ontario United mobile app