Cannon insulator and Fishhawk X4D

Just rigged up Fishhawk X4D.  Only problem I had is the Breakaway swivel snaps won't fit through holes on my cannon insulator.  Has anyone else had this issue?  So I moved the insulator above the Fishhawk probe.  The ball will still be below the insulator.  From what I read the insulator is mostly for the autostop feature.  Is that correct?

Also, will the fishhawk probe orient itself properly once in the water?  It spun a bit on my downrigger cable/swivels.  I wouldn't want it going backwards.  I suppose temps would be correct but ball speed wouldn't read.  I may be overthinking this but 1st time user of it.

Attached picture showing my insulator above probe.

Thanks!

20230704_132309.jpg

Think I have it fixed/correct order now.

But was wondering...how reliable are the plastic insulators at holding probe, ball etc?  Anyone using any backup cable etc in case insulator breaks or are they pretty reliable?

20230705_200330.jpg

If you’re worried about the insulators… I use Amish Outfitter downrigger snubbers and have new mag 5s. I reached out to canon about them working as an insulator and they said they will work as the insulator to stop

the auto retrieve. I’ve used em multiple times and it stops at the surface like it should. So, from bottom to top I have the rigger weight, snubber, probe, then release. Hope this helps. 

6 hours ago, Odie 1 said:

Think I have it fixed/correct order now.

But was wondering...how reliable are the plastic insulators at holding probe, ball etc?  Anyone using any backup cable etc in case insulator breaks or are they pretty reliable?

20230705_200330.jpg

I would be more worried about the blacks though the blacks should not break. Some on here have mentioned running the same blacks for years. I do run two snubbers to the ball. You can take all the precautions you want, sometimes the lake just takes things away. good luck!!!

I am about out of time to order supplies as leave for lake Sunday.  I do have the Cannon 10stx.

Perhaps can buy one those snubbers at Boat Doctors in Olcott?   If not would doubling up the heavier snubbers used for fishing work?  Or use two of them even.

I may run a snubber between snaps on each side of the insulator also as a backup. It just seems concerning that the probe, weight etc are all being supported by that small piece of plastic.  

I'm currently rigging a Magnum Metalz, and with them not having an autostop but a soft clutch instead, I decided to go a slightly different route, putting the snubber above the probe and the breakaway cable between the ball and the probe. I use a Scotty's release, too, which I can run off the snubber. So...ball, breakaway cable, probe, snubber, Cannon terminator, Dubro spring stop for the clutch. 

This is how I ran it on my Cannons, too, and it worked great, including for the autostop. Anybody have a compelling reason for the snubber to go below the probe? I like the breakaway cable, in case bottom decides to eat the ball.

I did watch a youtube video where they used a snubber to ball to bottom bounce for lakers.  They sometimes used two snubbers which kept the lure about 2ft off the bottom.  But they didn't mention if it saved them any on lost gear.

2 hours ago, Gator said:Anybody have a compelling reason for the snubber to go below the probe? I like the breakaway cable, in case bottom decides to eat the ball.

I think for me Gator I was unsure if I could trust them with having the probe and weight attached to them as it was new deal 8-10 yrs ago.  I should probably replace them lol. 

I like the snubbers on the ball for shock absorption when the ball is along side the boat and its easier to grab the snubbers when the ball is coming in the boat.