Proposed Region 8 Finger Lakes regs changes

Due to the overpopulation of lake trout in the western Finger Lakes, Region 8 DEC has proposed the following changes in the creel limits for trout/salmon in Seneca, Keuka, Canandaigua, Canadice and Hemlock Lakes:

"1) Reduce the creel limit of rainbow trout in the tributaries from 3 to 1 per day.

2) Reduce the creel limit of rainbow trout in the lakes from 5 to 1 per day.

3) Remove the restriction in the daily limit where no more than 3 lake trout may be harvested as part of the 5 trout and salmon allowed and allow up to 5 lake trout to be harvested per day.

Therefore the new regulation will read: Daily Limit: 5 in combination (catch shall include no more than 1 rainbow trout or 3 landlocked salmon)".

These changes are only proposals and and if enacted would take effect in October 2012. Region 8 DEC is seeking feedback regarding these proposals.

This is the way to go :yes: The rainbows need all the help they can get. The meeting we had at the FLTA banquet with the guy from region 8 DEC was great, thanks for setting that up Second Chance22. I hope the regs pass, I think you will see more bows and bigger lakers if you do. Also on a side note you guys that love to fish the Finger Lakes should think about joining the Finger Lakes Trollers Assosiation it is a great group of guys. We have tournaments on Cayuga, Seneca, Keuka, Canandaigua, and Owasco on Sundays starting in April up to October. We have around nine tournaments with only a 25$ entry fee. The club is only 20 dollars a year to join up. We also donate money to support getting kids into fishing. We are helping DEC by donating to stream restoration projects and lamperay control. Second Chance 22 from this forum and others can explain it better they are the guys that make these projects happen. Im sure any of you guys that are interested in the club can get with one of us at the FLTA show in Watkins this month and we will get you an application. If not PM me with name and I can get you an application. I got Jason signed up last night :yes: but don't let that stop ya :lol: Sean

What about size changes. 20" min on all species kind of my self imposed limit anyway.

I agree with lowering the RT limit in the lake. I've boated very few and dont target them because of thier numbers.

1 fish limit in the creek would really kick the non resident out. But would help the spawning population considerably.

Try a few things as a pilot program maybe 3-5 years and see what makes a difference.

I would love to be able to target them in a few years.

allow 1 RT for every 35 suckers in the creek. :lol:

I'm not a biologist just my ideas. Totally agree we need to help the rainbows.

I like that new proposal. Wish they'd do it for Cayuga. I think the Landlocked Salmon are the best fighting and best tasting fish we can catch in our lakes. I think it is pretty rare for most boats to take more than one Rainbow per day anyway. Basically this is allowing more Lakers to be culled. That can't hurt in my opinion.

I'm not a fisheries biologist, but it seems to me that the biggest issue facing the LL population is their vulnerability to high catch rates in the fall/winter/early spring and the aggressive nature of the juvenile fish all season long. From my point of view the critical part of this issue is the large number of the skippers that are caught & 'released (to die later)' or caught & kept on Seneca. I've been stunned numerous times at Watkins by being shown coolers full of juvenile LLs at the launch or at the gas station. I think the standard wisdom is that 'it's put & take, so I'll take em.

I'm all for eating fish and I do it on a regular basis but I do think we need to find a way to stop killing all these juvenile LLs because some percentage of them would otherwise survive to be the hard fighters we love to hook up with. Here's what I've taken to doing;

1. use a 'rubber style' C&R style net to corral the skippers and carefully remove the hook w/ the fish still in the water if at all possible.

2. if I'm getting numerous skippers on my sliders I just stop running them.

3. in general I am trying to not run the scorpion size spoons on my high lines on days when I start to hook skips.

As far as the lakers go, the small to medium size adults are excellent table fare & we eat them grilled,baked, and fried as fast as we can catch em. The older/bigger fish are best smoked -set a big plate of smoked laker fillets and small bowl of sour cream out when entertaining guests, add cold beer and poof - they vanish!

andy i agree with you.... i keep telling everyone that the bigger salmon are down deeper and they will bite...but everybody wants to catch fish so they target the easy ones, which is good for guys who wants numbers..ill go catch a couple release them, then go catch lakers because i like the taste of lakers.

I've gone to mostly single hooks on my cheater lures that attract LLs...They are so aggressive that treble hooks are all but impossible to dislodge without killing them....Early spring.(.May).. between Deans Cove and Borroughs point and across to the green bouy is where and when we catch the BIGGER LLs of the entire year...The nicest ones are taken on what are usually my " go to " laker lures..Southern end is usually good in May for me with same iron in 70--80 fow south of the cornell bouys and up and down the East side as far north as the old wooden dock...I'm getting fired up for the season...Can't hardly wait....Everyones winter reports keep my blood pumpin............Always good for old guys 8):yes::dance:

I don't have a web link yet for comments on the proposed changes, which haven't been posted on line yet.

The number for region 8 is 585-226-2466.

Written comments can be sent to:

NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Division of Fish, Wildlife and Marine Resources, Region 8

6274 East Avon-Lima Road

Avon, New York 14414-9519

I dont think a no fishing area on catherine would make a diffeence Jeremy, I agree, a majority of fish are taken in the first week, and its nothing but lifters and snaggers from Kaufer dam to kaufer dam. I saw last yr alone, many fish taken that were not in the mouth, but what can we do? DEC patrols that creek hourly and I have yet to see tickets written on opening day. However, if you go in december, when the browns and bows are in there heavy, the fishing is great, and i still see a group of guys there with their salmon lifting rods and they are chasing the fish in the low clear waters.. This past november i caught a Landlock with my net next to the bank that someone had lifted, and they had taken a knife and sliced the fish open and took all of the eggs from the fish. I released to fish of course, but i doubt it lived. They should of just kept the fish instead of slicing it. Some people have no respect, not only for the fishery, but the fish as well. i once heard one guy say, it doesnt matter how many he catches, or how many he kills, the fish wont be there after he dies, so why not get as many as he can....IMO thats a wrong way to look at it. :no: \\Anything the DEC can do to help the fishery on the fingers and anywhere else, i back it up :yes:

I've asked the fisheries biologists as recently as this February about the possiblity of closing sections of the tribs as nursury areas ( I believe this is done in some Michigan rivers) but they are opposed to it. Significant monies have been spent to provide public fishing rights on these streams and they are reluctant to limit angling opportunities.

I think they should limit the Rainbows on Seneca but not on Canandaigua this lake has a good if not great rainbow population. This lake rainbow population is in good shape & does not need changes.

Canandaigua is stocked with zero rainbows. Laker stocking is 12,100 spring yearlings and 24,100 fall fingerlings. Brown trout are stocked at the rate of 8,000 yearlings annually.

The reported take of rainbows and browns has been declining for years on Canandaigua- the same general pattern as keuka and seneca.

About 19% of the lakers in Canandaigua are wild fish compared with 65% for Seneca and 100% for Keuka.

Canandaigua, Has more Bows due to the fact less fisherman fish the tribs (Naples Creek) acording to DEC. When the guys from the Seneca Lake tribs realize they can kick more of them out at Naples than Catharine well look out. Seems like the state would protect a fish when it is spwaning and most vulnerable. If Bass ran up stream to spawn would we be able to kill them in May? It be nice to see a no fishing / spawning area on the creeks, It wont happen. But I bet a catch and release area could happen, and I hope it will some day. Sean

.........Seems like the state would protect a fish when it is spwaning and most vulnerable. If Bass ran up stream to spawn would we be able to kill them in May? It be nice to see a no fishing / spawning area on the creeks, It wont happen. But I bet a catch and release area could happen, and I hope it will some day. Sean

I agree.....

Killing one spawning bow in the tribs will take out more fish than the 3 rods per person on my boat will take all season.