knifes for cleaning salmon

What kind of knife are you guys using to clean/fillet salmon? I am looking at some victorinox or forschner...i think they are the same brand. but found one with a 12 inch blade that I am thinking about getting but before I go out and buy a POS knife and have to go buy another id rather do it once and be done. Im using a small buck knife now and hack up everything but the little guys.

Forschner Cimeter 12" is what we use and am very happy with it.

Dexter Russel also makes a good knife and uses fine steel that holds an edge great.

A ceramic honning steel will keep them razor sharp.

Used a steel honning rod at first but they rust on the boat.

Glen

Dexter Russel also makes a good knife and uses fine steel that holds an edge great.

Glen

What Glen said :clap::yes::yes:

Glen

Yup

that forschner cimeter 12" is the exact knife i was looking at and found it for 39 dollars with the black plastic handle or 59 for the rosewood handle at cutleryandmore.com . I have a chef mate sharpener with the diamond honing stone or whatever it is called. The man that showed me his knife said he used a warthog sharpener on his blade I was thinking about picking one up, have you guys had good luck with a certain sharpener, id like to take care of this knife and make it last. Is there is any place that sells them forschner knifes locally in the buffalo niagara falls area id like to pick it up in person, one of them things i want it now.

DEAR Dewey 123,

The Forschner 12 inch breaking style knife ....made in Switzerland with the black plastic handle is a fine blade that holds an edge well. TAKE NOTE...the Forschner knife with the rosewood handle is made in Brazil. I have this one also. Not as good as the swiss made one as does not hold an edge as long as the swiss made one. I sharpen mine after each use. I DO NOT LET ANYONE USE IT!! That is how it stays in good condition. ....STORY TIME....LET a friend borrow it once (at Bluffers Park).... He ended up in the hospital 20 minutes later for 15 stiches!!!.....Respectfully submitted....X-Jet Boat Bill

Glen

Ditto on the Forschner and Dexter Russel.

If you get the Dexter 12" Cimeter,buy the best model,as they male a couple of them. The higer price one(about $65.00) has the best steel.I'm fortunate to only be a little over a half hour from Dexters plant.They have a great facory store with all kinds of goodies.

I too have been lookin for a good salmon knife. I currently use an 8" fillet knife made by Buck. It's a great knife holds a great edge and has cleaned tons of fish. However after my trip to the oak this year and a couple majors in the box the 8" blade left me wanting more. I'm very familiar with the Victorinox Forschner knives. As strictly a breaking knife the 12" Cimeter should work great. I would suggest using something with a little more flex for carving any bones out. Stick with the plastic handles. the rosewood have a poor finish that does not last and hard to clean. That knife could pull double duty if your a deer hunter too.

Have always used the old birch handle Rapala fish and fillet. Not expensive and a flexible stainless steel blade. Wish they would come out with an 11 inch for the fatties. The 9 inch is good and it keeps an exceptional edge reasonably well. Not as long as a high carbon blade, but a few licks on the ceramic rod in between each fish and it will skin a grape. Good for taking a slab and finesse enough to carve the strip of pin bones out of the back of the fillet all in one knife. Would like to try that 11 inch salmon slicer though.

Oh ....and I don't let my fillet knife become a kitchen utensil. That's the worst thing to happen to a fillet knife.

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

i bought a forschner cimeter knife with a 10 inch blade...black handle sunday from a website www.justknives101.com hopefully it comes tomorrow. I paid 47 bucks for the knife and UPS shipping. the knife was like 40 dollars but i found a promo code (prochef) for 10 percent off. So it ended up being 36 and change plus the 10 dollar ups shipping fee. I cant wait to cut something with this