Mono or braid for pulling big boards

I have home made double boards and am still using the (very) old hi vis green braid to pull them. I've seen at a show some heavy mono which I think may help the releases to slide out. Any one using the mono and what pound, and do the releases slide out better?

Scott

Edited by scobar

If you go to mono you may be considering 200-500 pound test (depending on the boards might check with Amish Outfitters)). Mono stretches more than braid and you want something that is relatively abrasion resistant (mono with a hard coating rather than the soft stuff). Some boards have a tremendous pull to them so with waves etc you need something very strong. I think it may be more prone to weakening from UV exposure too.  The problem of the releases not sliding easily may be due to other factors also such as the things you are using to hold them on the line, and possibly the boards themselves getting ahead of the boat speed and creating slack etc. Might want to check that out as well. I think this a may be one of those issues where stuff that is specifically designed for a particular purpose is the "best fit" (I.e. planer board line).

Edited by Sk8man

Hmmm... I'm from Northern Ontario, so I don't have access to the same market (no bass pro up the street) but for less than half of the price I use a roll of whipper snipper line. It's high strength, abrasion resistant, smooth and comes in hi vis colours... I use heat shrink and quick zips to loop it back on itself to make the connections.

I used the heavy mono from Traxstech in the past but the expansion/contraction of it may have cracked the reel. Not sure though, just my thoughts.

I've never used the dacron planer line enough to comment. I currently use Scotty downrigger braid and like it.

One drawback of slicker lines is that the quicker the release slides out, the easier the wind can blow it back and bunch the lines together.

Screwie Louis had some heavy power pro for planer reels on the shelf when I was there Saturday.

In my personal opinion stick with the Big Jon planer line, down here on the coast we have tried multiple thing while trolling for Stripers. From Mono to Braid to even Weed Whacker line.

The best performing line we could figure out was the normal line. Grant it we don't run 4' boards our are just the folding style 30" Rivera. The seem to handle the rollers really nice

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I use the big jon stuff on both sets of boards I own.  Stuff works great but in a 25mph broadside wind the releases had a little trouble going down.  

I was thinking of adding an egg sinker to them to get them down better, just drill out the hole and slide it onto the shower ring.

i'm with gambler power pro is awesome I also have home made board  and use to use the dacron planer line it worked but releases took a while to move.  I upgraded to power pro 2 seasons ago and so far no problems i just keep a glove on the boat to pull the boards in with so i dont cut my hand

• 2 weeks later...