Otisco,7/1

old man

I went out with Justin and his friend last night. They were after walleye and i was trying to get a tiger after dark. Despite being parked on tigers all night i only managed a pair of missed hits at boatside. The nightstalker i am not. Enough about me. Justin has this lake down. His boat is set up for any technique any time. It's a work of fishing art. The bite was tough last night but Justin and his pal both caught some nice ones and some nice bass. Around 2 am we talked to another boat that caught nothing and was giving up. Justin pulled into the spot they just gave up on and caught two and lost a tiger! I don't target walleye and really know zip about them. But i tell you what,after what i saw last night i am pretty sure i could catch a few if i chose to. So if you want to learn a bunch about walleye in a hurry book a night out with Justin. Thanks again for a great night Justin!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks for the kind words!!! I had a ball the other night fishing with you Mike! You certainly worked your butt off. Tracy and I ate the steaks and the dogs loved the bones! I took last night off and got a real fat tiger this morning. Next time we'll go during daylight. Walleye bite hasn't been very good, but we certainly haven't been skunked. Have to work pretty hard to get a few.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My Take - Not only do I enjoy Justin's fish reports, I also enjoy his insights on various topics. I have been on Otisco once as a guest on Justin's boat and it was an excellent learning experience for me. I don't know if or when I will make it back to Otisco but it was a highlight for me and will I will continue to support him regardless of personal attacks on him or his intentions.

Nice report Old Man. I know the feeling.

This is a discussion board about fishing in the New York area. I enjoy Justin's reports, personally ,night fishing I'm not interested in, been there, done that, need my beauty sleep. The secret walleye society lives on to my dismay. Just yesterday a fellow stopped me at the ramp while unloading my boat at a local lake, wanted to know how to run riggers there for lakers, I took some time and showed him some tackle, he was very thankful for the help. Great stuff Justin, ignore the haters.

I started this thread to thank a guy that took me fishing and showed me a good time. It hurts to see it morph into animosity. We all love the same thing and some of us love it enough to share the how,when,and where so others can feel the thrills we cherish so much. The dec fish stocking program is in place to maintain quality sport fishing which brings in MONEY. So be careful what you wish for;if no one knows about your lake they will go elsewhere and you won't get stocked. It's independence day in the greatest nation on earth. Let's all get along.post-142867-14360606762082_thumb.jpg

After reading these comments, I must chime in my two cents. I have met Justin not on his boat but in a different situation. He is one of the few guys out there that cares more about sharing what he has learned than hoarding a few secrets so that he can catch all the fish for himself. He cares about the area he hunts and fishes. In no way should he have to feel an ounce of guilt for charging a few bucks to put some guys on fish. He surely is not making a profit. Giving is much better than receiving, and keeping with the tradition of this site we share information about fishing here and I believe Justin is a man of great character and a true sportsman that gets the details of fishing and hunting right. Not all of us have time to do that. Thus we owe him for all the info he shares. Thanks Justin!

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks John I'd say the same about you! Walleye event is on for as many as show...I'll have food enough and plenty of beer I just ask you sign up or pm me. Anyone without a boat or partners let me know I'll do my best to get you on a boat. July 18th is the date.

oh boy,,kant wait till the state puts in a state launch..justin and his girl are good peeps..i given and taken from justin..its what its all about..he picked my grey matter and i do like wise..evening bite is not easy ..easy than day time ,,well yes..can i catch them day and nite..sure..better at nite,yes..the boat traffic will only get worse as the state puts in a launch..will that change the fishing..4 sure..will justin still find them at nite.yup..will the average eye guy find them during the day nope..and so ;ong 4 now;john

It's definitely give and take...on the forum and with guests and even clients. I've learned from all the people I've fished with. If you aren't learning you won't stay on fish. The last 2 years are proof of that with the harsh winters we all have had to do things differently. BTW I did find em during daylight the very next day.....how did i do it? I used miss em's spoon program!!! I do it a little different as I'm not a fan of cheaters, but its his program. One of my favorite spots was a spot Johnny walleye showed me. I figured it out, but with help. Same with Tim and the fall bite. Working together we all got better. Not a tough concept...

Justin keep up the good work and posts. I don't ever plan on goin to mr allens  lake lol, (unless he is goin to invite me)  but the info you put forth gives lou members ideas and techniques to try else where. Like the sayin goes don't hate the player hate the game!

Sharing and learning is what this forum is all about.

There is nothing wrong with giving your opinion in a respectful way. But it is wise to be open to and to try to understand the opinion of others as well.

Justin has been graciously sharing information all along. Just because he recently became licensed to guide, doesn't mean that should change.

The DEC is not stocking the lake for the enjoyment of just a "closed group". These efforts are paid for by the fishing licenses we all buy and when we purchase fishing gear. EVERYONE has the right to fish ALL public waters in NY State.

Otisco Lake isn't the only lake in the state that has quality walleye fishing but if the DEC is seeing low utilization, they may reduce stocking. And if they don't have a clear understanding of how many fish are being harvested and what the catch rate and growth rate is (and the angler diary helps them with that), they will have a more difficult time maintaining the fishery.

Edited by muskiedreams

Justin. Keep up the work and posts. I am not a walleye angler but I enjoy them none the less. Don't let some guy whose panties are in a knot influence you or your actions if they are within the limits of the law.

It's definitely give and take...on the forum and with guests and even clients. I've learned from all the people I've fished with. If you aren't learning you won't stay on fish. The last 2 years are proof of that with the harsh winters we all have had to do things differently. BTW I did find em during daylight the very next day.....how did i do it? I used miss em's spoon program!!! I do it a little different as I'm not a fan of cheaters, but its his program. One of my favorite spots was a spot Johnny walleye showed me. I figured it out, but with help. Same with Tim and the fall bite. Working together we all got better. Not a tough concept...

This is the second best post of this thread.  (Old man's is the best)

I'll remove my lips now.

Joe

Justin  dont  let one hater sour your day.  There are people that want to help others catch fish ( like you) and greedy

people who want to keep all the fish for themselves(  no need to mention names).   Keep on doing what you are doing

*Everyone* except the haters appreciates all your efforts to make us better fisherman.  Thanks again!